Do people on here really...

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Does it really matter, a win is a win. A conference win is good for one thing, to win the division. If you can't win the division (which ISU likely can't), why does it matter if the win comes in the non-conference or in the conference schedule? As long as it gets us to 6 wins so we can go bowling, that is all that matters at this stage in the program.

I wish people would quit acting like they don't care about the Iowa game. They should care because it is a winnable game at home, it doesn't matter if the name is Iowa or Baylor, we have to win these type of games.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Let's put it this way- if I was told I would get only one win all year, I would want it to be Iowa. If we go 1-12, conference standings and bowls don't matter.
But at the point we are talking about bowls placements, conference standings etc, I'll take ANY big 12 win.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The Seneca Wallace-led comeback against them in 2002, winning 36-31 after being down 24-7 at half, is easily the most revered ISU victory in the last ten years. We've had other comebacks - like against Colorado in 2007 - but they pale in comparison.
The reason - that 2002 win was against IOWA.

Also because of the season Iowa had that season. It was a big win over a good team, it just happened to be Iowa. We would definitely remember it we spoiled another top 10 teams season by giving them their only loss nearly as much as Iowa. Not quite as much..... great to beat your rival!

sdmredsox

Dec 15, 2008
South Des Moines
Damn right I would rather beat Iowa. If you don't want to beat someone more than everyone else, then they aren't really a rival. And there is no need to hide that just because a bunch of Iowa fans claim this isn't the most important game to them. That is a BS excuse just like ISU's superbowl or whatever else, and if they had done better in the series over the last decade you wouldn't hear any of it.

Just ask OU and UT or UM and OSU, or Florida and Georgia if those games don't mean any more than any other game on the schedule? It means more because it is a rivalry. Enjoy it, embrace it, it is stuff like this that makes college football great.

Of course that is my feeling as a fan.... for the team and the staff, they shouldn't treat it any different. They should put 100% towards every game.

The best part of those rivalries is that it usually the game has bigger implications then just bragging rights. They're all conference games in those examples. Ohio State plays Ohio U. every year and nobody cares nationally. I think the potential for having a game mean something to college football in general rather then just in-state interest is the key to having a huge rivalry game.

I'd hope for a day when the Nebraska game with us turned into something like the rivalries you mentioned. I'm sure that will happen with some consistant winning and a prize bigger then a trophy sponsored by a grocery store chain.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
It's sad, but yes...I would rather beat Iowa than any other team on the schedule every year. Depends where you live and how many black-and-yellow turds you have to eat every day, I suppose.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
I always argue this with my hawkeye friend (it's not his fault, he was dropped as a kid and I feel bad for him).

I would much rather win against ANY ranked team over Iowa. They would be next with this little caveat - if we can move up in the Big 12 standings with another win, I would rather have the win be against a Big 12 team.

What does that all mean? If we don't play any ranked teams and you told me at the start of the year we had 1 win, use it where ever you want, I would want it to be against Iowa. But, if we could get 1 more win in a year where we were fighting for a Big 12 Championship Game birth, I would take a loss to iowa for another big 12 win!

But, after all is said and done, it really doesn't matter what I want, the game will happen and the outcome will be decided no matter what I want.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
While I like beating Iowa and think it is important to keep it a competitive series - winning / losing the Iowa game does NOT make or break my season. I'd much rather win conference games. If we could actually beat a ranked conference team, now that would be the real deal.

LeBron

Nov 12, 2008
Well if the Big 12 game was OU or Texas of course I'd take that over a win against Iowa, but if it was Baylor or Colorado or some other team like that I'd rather beat Iowa.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Well if the Big 12 game was OU or Texas of course I'd take that over a win against Iowa, but if it was Baylor or Colorado or some other team like that I'd rather beat Iowa.

Even if that win over Baylor or Colorado put ISU in the Big 12 championship game?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that it depends on the season. In 2005, I'd have easily traded 23-3 for ANY conference game because that would mean winning the North. If a division title is in play, there is no contest, I'd take the conference game. For seasons where ISU isn't even close to winning the North, the iowa game ranks right up there behind OU/UT/NE just to shut up their fans a little.

Other than that, this year, I'd take the game at Nebraska since ISU hasn't won there in forever. The only thing that makes it even close is that I'll be at the iowa game, not in Lincoln.

What I don't get is Cyclone "fans" who say that it doesn't matter if they win another game as long as they beat iowa. Those people are either not real fans or iowa fans saying that.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
to be honest id rather beat nebraska at nebraska or beat oklahoma state they could be ranked in the top 3 when we play them theyll at least be top 10 thatd be a bigger win then iowa

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
This.

Sadly, for so many, beating Iowa does make the season and losing ruins it.

I disagree completely...I've never met one single person who has told me the season was ruined by an Iowa loss or it was made by an Iowa win. You're perpetuating a myth here. It's a huge game, thats all.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I disagree completely...I've never met one single person who has told me the season was ruined by an Iowa loss or it was made by an Iowa win. You're perpetuating a myth here. It's a huge game, thats all.

+1000 - winning the biggest game does not "make the season." It is what it is - the biggest game, but with 10 more to follow.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
want to beat Iowa more than any other team? I'm just curious.

Personally I'd rather beat any B12 team on our schedule before Iowa. I'll admit that it hasn't always been that way but it has for some time.

If we don't beat Iowa, the season is over for me.