Do people on here really...

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
want to beat Iowa more than any other team? I'm just curious.

Personally I'd rather beat any B12 team on our schedule before Iowa. I'll admit that it hasn't always been that way but it has for some time.
The week of the Iowa game I want nothing more than a victory over Iowa for ISU(In general i want a few things more but can't mention them on this board). Next week it is the next team.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Now would I trade a win over Iowa for a more succesful season and:
A B12 north championship. Probably. Probably?
An overall big twelve championship. Sure.
Just a win in the B12, even over Texas or Oklahoma. Nope.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
The Iowa win is nice because then you don't have to listen to the hawk fans, but I would much rather see us beat Nebby, KU or Mizzo this season. Especially on the road.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I probably enjoy beating Iowa more than any other team. Mostly so I have bragging rights over my many Hawk friends. It doesn't mean I dont care about conference games.....because I certainly do. I would probably even trade a win over Iowa this year for a win over the Huskers in Lincoln!
I dont know why people pretend only conf games matter. Non conf games still count and matter, and Iowa happens to be our in state rival (with a good program). Thus, a very big game for us.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
2007 and 2008 were both huge failures in my book, but beating Iowa took the sting out of 2007. Beating KSU and Colorado that year were the wins that really made the season worthwhile. Iowa was merely a footnote by that point. Iowa was a game the team finally showed signs of life, but CU and KSU were the games pointing to this team coming around and looking to build for the future when referencing 2007 at the time that occurred.

I think if the Iowa/ISU game was played late in the year the emphasis on it would be totally different. The reason i feel its so big as it usually the 1st big D1 test for both squads. Its the 1st big test on either schedule, and could dictate to the fans just what kind of team you have that year based off that game.

Also what hawks fans don't acknowledge is that we don't really have a rivalry with any other B12 school. This is our big conference rivalry. Iowa has Minnesota and Wisconsin. I hate losing to Nebraska, but we don't have a rivalry with them.

I'm bloodthirsty for wins over Iowa. Its the big game on the schedule but it does not dictate whether or not the season was a success.

mikerobe

Aug 22, 2009
Des Moines
want to beat Iowa more than any other team? I'm just curious.

Personally I'd rather beat any B12 team on our schedule before Iowa. I'll admit that it hasn't always been that way but it has for some time.

This was the argument I received the most two years ago; that Iowa State wanted to win more. Duh! But then they'd claim that it's our super bowl and we'd just as well win the one game instead of all our others or at least instead of winning the Big 12 North. I guess I could believe they'd be that delusional but, I would trade in a heartbeat the number or losses against Iowa in consecutive years it would take to win the Big 12. This would obviously mean that this would give us a win over the South champ and a play in a BCS bowl.

Heck, I might even be willing to do this to win the Big 12 North out right and guarantee us the championship game and most likely an okay bowl.

I would also echo the comment to trade a loss for a road win in conference. But that might be getting a little desperate. Because the Hawks generally finish the year better than they start it, hopefully a victory over them would carry more weight than a win on the road over a weaker K-State or Colorado team. If it's Texas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska okay.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Tricky question since it depends on the season. What people need to realize is that when you go into a season knowing you're not going to a bowl game you start to look at individual games rather than the entire season. You want wins over Iowa, NU, or ranked upset. I spent most of the 80's and the entire 90's with this outlook on the season. What people read into this is that we're ok with going 2-10 as long as we beat Iowa. They are dead wrong!

There isn't a Cyclone fan alive that wouldn't trade the 2005 win over Iowa for any 3 of the OT losses we had that kept us out of the title game.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
all hypothetical, of course but...

In a future 3 years span: Let's say the Clones lose to Iowa three straight times, 19-7, 41-13, and 21-20. One competitive, one blowout, and one nailbiter.

In the *same* 3 year stretch we beat Nebraska, 19-7, 41-13, and 21-20.

Tell me that 3 year stretch against Nebraska wouldn't mean more than beating (or losing to) the Hawks... In November?

I realize that it would make for an unpleasant September, with Hawkeye office mates having random sex in public restrooms to celebrate our Cyclone ineptitude against their favorite team... but wouldn't THREE straight over Nebraska have bigger implications?

I guess that's the next question : Would you trade 3 straight losses to Iowa for 3 straight wins over Nebraska?

... and yes, I'd love to beat both every single year and win every conference game and every non-conference game and every rivalry game and win a National Championship, but it is worthy to discuss what we would trade for until that time.

cyclonedcm

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
yes, I want to beat Iowa more than any other team on the schedule... I enjoy letting my friends know that we're better than them... in head to head matchups

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I probably enjoy beating Iowa more than any other team. Mostly so I have bragging rights over my many Hawk friends. It doesn't mean I dont care about conference games.....because I certainly do. I would probably even trade a win over Iowa this year for a win over the Huskers in Lincoln!
I dont know why people pretend only conf games matter. Non conf games still count and matter, and Iowa happens to be our in state rival (with a good program). Thus, a very big game for us.

I want it to be clear that I don't think that non-conference don't matter. We need 6 wins. EVERY game matters. This year the Iowa game may very well be the biggest game we play because of our very slim chance to get to 6 and what the win could do to achieve that. In general I prefer to win conference games but this year, and most, frankly, we can't be picky.

ISUTimm4

Sep 10, 2006
I think the Iowa game is huge for ISU...not just for the fans, but for recruiting in state players. Some in state players who are being recruited by both Iowa and ISU will be at this game and it will greatly help our future by winning this game. Having said that, as a fan, I think I'd rather see ISU beat Iowa than any other team on the schedule (for our future of course) ! =-)

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
I am at the point that I would trade the entire series with Iowa if that helps Iowa State establish a true conference rivalry. I want Kansas fans, Nebraska fans, K-State fans, Missouri fans, Colorado fans, heck at least one of those to hate us as much as hawk fans do.

I want a true inter-conference rival like Iowa has with Minnesota. There is a lot more depth to the Iowa State-Iowa rivalry than hawk fans want to admit, but still conference rivalries go so much deeper because so much more is usually at stake.

Help Support Us

Become a patron