DO NOT RUSH THE COURT

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You mean Hilton Magic? Hilton Magic or not, I am not seeing this "problem" you are talking about.

I agree. So what if a gadfly like Olberman is talking. He says something stupid about sports every two minutes. Opinions of KU and Hawks fans? Seriously, hate'm, don't care.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
my problem, in general, is that storming the court takes away discussion about the game and puts ISU in a negative light rather than letting the players be the focal point. Olberman talked about it, the Jayhawk message board talked about it, we are talking about it, etc. It's not "I care too much what others think" or I'm some old grumpy person. But that game was a hell of a comeback win, a national showcase for our team, and proof we have moved beyond the only-shoots-3s mindset. When national people are talking about our fans rather than our team it's a problem.

Olberman is an idiot. I can't believe he is still on television.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
It's been said already, but the crowd was phenomenal last night except for the storming. I was embarrassed by it. I cringed when I saw the first few people run out there. I get that it was a rival and it was a big win, and certain games deserve it, no question. This was not one of them.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It's been said already, but the crowd was phenomenal last night except for the storming. I was embarrassed by it. I cringed when I saw the first few people run out there. I get that it was a rival and it was a big win, and certain games deserve it, no question. This was not one of them.
Uh, it was Iowa - our biggest rival. The ISU students that were wrapped around Hilton for the last 24-48 hours, when asked "why" on TV, said because "it was the biggest game of the year"...that's why...

ken

Dec 28, 2008
The fact that this stupid thread has gone on for 18 pages is just ridiculous.

So, ISU fans/students rushed the court. Big ******* deal! Seriously, some of you want to criticize this instead of just celebrating the win last night? I don't understand that at all.

What is the big concern? That somehow ISU will look bad to the rest of the college basketball world or something? Really?

ISU was favored yes.....by a very slight margin, on a home court that is no doubt one of the best home court advantages in all of college basketball. Both teams are ranked and rising, and both teams look like solid candidates to make it to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA this year. Iowa led most of the game, and quite frankly, probably should have won it. It came down to the very last seconds, and 3 consecutive shots missed by Iowa (even though it is questionable what they thought they would accomplish with the last 2 tips). ISU won, and a few hundred students rushed the floor, not so much to just dance around like fools, but what I saw was a fan base that wanted to embrace, congratulate and celebrate with THEIR players, THEIR team.

If the rest of the college basketball world can't deal with that.....**** 'em. If some of you can't deal with that and really want to complain about it.......I think you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Just my 2 cents.
Well said! I've never understood the argument. It's not like it was a storming after a 25 pt beat down or something. It was a gritty, come from behind win that went to the wire with an in-state rival. I hate the "act like you've been there" argument. Just because a team wins regularly means they can no longer celebrate when they continue to? Give me a break.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Last night was a terrific come from behind win over our arch rivals. Both teams were ranked. Moments like those do not come often enough in life. Storm the court. Drink it up and I mean every last drop. Enjoy and Go Cyclones!!!

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
I won't complain about the Michigan and Iowa stormings if that can be it for the year. No more rushing. Wouldn't make sense with where we stand and what our schedule is.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
You guys do realize that rushing the court has ZERO affect on how the players play, how the coaches coach, how the fans cheer, how the refs ref, the outcome of any game, how the team is ranked, or how they will be seeded at the end of the year. These are the things I care about.

So rushing the court.......Who the Hell Cares!!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Olberman always looks for the cranky angle. And of course there are going to be people on other sites mocking us. If not for storming the court, it would be for something else.

We may get to the place where we don't storm the court after a win like this. However, it was 1987 when we last had a win like this (Iowa ranked, close game). Thoroughly enjoying wins like this is what may propel us to the snobby ranks where we don't storm the court. Nah, let's always storm the court after close wins against ranked teams.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Uh, it was Iowa - our biggest rival. The ISU students that were wrapped around Hilton for the last 24-48 hours, when asked "why" on TV, said because "it was the biggest game of the year"...that's why...

Like I said, I understand how big of a win this was and who it was against. However, we are likely in a very small minority that rushes the court after beating a team below them in the rankings and a team they were favored to beat. You do realize why storming a court under those circumstances is embarrassing right?

Ive argued with Iowa fan about our games against them being what they call a "super bowl" but last night after that court storming I can't win that argument anymore. Important yes, but not monumental. This was a fringe ranked team that hasn't been relevant in a decade, not No 5 KU, not No 7 OSU. Act like you belong.

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Like I said, I understand how big of a win this was and who it was against. However, we are likely in a very small minority that rushes the court after beating a team below them in the rankings and a team they were favored to beat. You do realize why storming a court under those circumstances is embarrassing right?

Ive argued with Iowa fan about our games against them being what they call a "super bowl" but last night after that court storming I can't win that argument anymore. Important yes, but not monumental. This was a fringe ranked team that hasn't been relevant in a decade, not No 5 KU, not No 7 OSU. Act like you belong.

About half the students, who camped out for two nights... in freezing temps, stormed the court. I have no problem with that. Now if the whole arena stormed.... yeah, that would be lame.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
About half the students, who camped out for two nights... in freezing temps, stormed the court. I have no problem with that. Now if the whole arena stormed.... yeah, that would be lame.

Theyve earned the right to storm if they want. Agreed. But at what point do these wins stop being so "monumental" they deserve a court storming? I guess Im of the differing opinion that upset wins deserve a storming an that's about it unless you're winning a BIg 12 title or upsetting Ohio State in the tournament. We've won 38 of 41 at home. It should be expected now. Last night was nowhere close to an upset.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Court storming for this game is lame, but meh, whatever. As long as I've got my curmudgeon side going, what's with playing Sweet Caroline after games? What is this, a 40-year reunion for the class of '72? That song's so corny.

dstryr

Feb 27, 2011
Des Moines, IA
www.dstryr.com
There is a lot to be excited about this year. Last season's losses to KU and Ohio State in close games where we couldn't get a lead and slam the door were heartbreakers. In those games, the 'clones shot desperately after getting rattled, even with some questionable calls. Big difference this year is that they play like they've been there, and haven't gotten rattled. That's worth getting excited about. I don't think we'll see a court-storming at every game, but I wouldn't bet this was the last either. BTW, I went to almost every home game 86-91. Those were some great years, beating KU, OU, OSU when we were huge underdogs, then made it to a few games in the years after. '97 I wasn't sure if Hilton Magic would come back; the place was dead. It's back, and its awesome to see it!

Last edited:

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
They're kids. Kids are stupid.

original.jpg

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Theyve earned the right to storm if they want. Agreed. But at what point do these wins stop being so "monumental" they deserve a court storming? I guess Im of the differing opinion that upset wins deserve a storming an that's about it unless you're winning a BIg 12 title or upsetting Ohio State in the tournament. We've won 38 of 41 at home. It should be expected now. Last night was nowhere close to an upset.

If those kids camp out for 36 hours in terrible conditions for the Texas Tech game, and they feel like going on the court after a win, I say let them.

Loyal students that wanna have fun and support their team by being there early and being constantly loud>>>>>>>students who just show up late, leave early, don't cheer load, and are on their phone.