DO NOT RUSH THE COURT

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Embarrassed that our students rushed last night. It's time to act like we've been there before! We were the higher ranked team and Iowa up until this year and last has not been good so that is a game you cheer in the stands and act like we knew all along we were going to win that game. Maybe our students right now are just finding out what it feels like to have a good team I guess, when I was there during the Fizer and Tinlsey years we didn't rush the court after beating ranked opponents because we knew we had a good team and felt we expected to win every game in Hilton (which we did for 2 straight seasons.)

It's obvious by now that we have a good team this year, let's act like it as fans and and not go overboard every time we beat another good team. You don't see the other top half of the Big 12 schools (mostly the Texas and Oklahoma schools) rushing the court after every good win because usually it means your fans view it as a big upset. Michigan game this year I can understand, we were unranked and they were #7 and national title runner ups last year but we were 17 and Iowa 23, this was a good win but not a HUGE win by any means.

Act like we've been there before? I hope we understand that many of these students are relatively new fans of ISU. Many of them are probably freshmen and haven't experience much of Hilton yet. They haven't experienced Hilton Magic much yet. I would have killed to be able to rush the court during the Morgan/McDermott days on a regular basis. Let them have fun.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Honestly, there are more people upset that we stormed the court then the fact a hawkeye fan was in the FRONT row of cyclone alley. What the **** is the point of cyclone alley if you're going to let a rival fan in the FRONT ROW?!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think it's funny how many people say "who cares what other fans think". It's those same fans that can barely contain themselves when they lose to a rival because then they have to face those other fans in the office. Hell, the only reason fans get so passionate is because they want to be associated with a winner. It's all about perception.

That's too broad a brush there. I don't care what other fans think either way.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
my problem, in general, is that storming the court takes away discussion about the game and puts ISU in a negative light rather than letting the players be the focal point. Olberman talked about it, the Jayhawk message board talked about it, we are talking about it, etc. It's not "I care too much what others think" or I'm some old grumpy person. But that game was a hell of a comeback win, a national showcase for our team, and proof we have moved beyond the only-shoots-3s mindset. When national people are talking about our fans rather than our team it's a problem.

Spam

May 21, 2008
my problem, in general, is that storming the court takes away discussion about the game and puts ISU in a negative light rather than letting the players be the focal point. Olberman talked about it, the Jayhawk message board talked about it, we are talking about it, etc. It's not "I care too much what others think" or I'm some old grumpy person. But that game was a hell of a comeback win, a national showcase for our team, and proof we have moved beyond the only-shoots-3s mindset. When national people are talking about our fans rather than our team it's a problem.

You mean Hilton Magic? Hilton Magic or not, I am not seeing this "problem" you are talking about.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012

The minute we lose AP rankings because of "negative perception" you let me know. Until then, let the haters hate, and let the college kids who camped out for 2 days have some fun.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
You dont see Duke, NC, Kentucky, Kansas and other major programs storming the court after beating their rival, in an exciting game, that they won late. If Hilton Magic is as great as those places, why do you still storm?

Last I checked no one here likes Duke, NC, Kentucky, or Kansas, and I certainly dont care what their fans do. ISU is in their own right a great basketball program. We can and should do our own thing. If our "starving" students want to rush the court because they grew up with crap basketball, then rush away. Once Freddie has us winning and going to the "dance" every year for 5-10 years plus then they will stop rushing the court.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Rumor has it that one of our guys lost a contact right when the game ended and the students went out to help find it

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Honestly, there are more people upset that we stormed the court then the fact a hawkeye fan was in the FRONT row of cyclone alley. What the **** is the point of cyclone alley if you're going to let a rival fan in the FRONT ROW?!

Oh nos....a Hawkeye fan...rushing the court way worse than having a single Hawkeye harassed in the student section. Many Iowa fans attend ISU, obviously to get a more relevant education. How do you propose the student section stop him? Not to mention everyone was cheering at that point, and if I remember correctly he was wearing a grey shirt (or at least one without a giant yellow Fred Flintstone on it) so the casual fan really wouldn't pay much attention to it.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Last I checked no one here likes Duke, NC, Kentucky, or Kansas, and I certainly dont care what their fans do. ISU is in their own right a great basketball program. We can and should do our own thing. If our "starving" students want to rush the court because they grew up with crap basketball, then rush away. Once Freddie has us winning and going to the "dance" every year for 5-10 years plus then they will stop rushing the court.

This is the 4th season with Fred, after back-to-back NCAA appearances..."starving" is not the way I would describe it.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Iowa State's court rushers are getting snide remarks on other message boards and even on TV news highlights for rushing the court for beating a team we were supposed to beat, according to our poll rankings anyway. Not to mention a team we've beaten at home for a long time.

I hope none of the rushers are butt hurt over the criticism because they should have expected it.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Iowa State's court rushers are getting snide remarks on other message boards and even on TV news highlights for rushing the court for beating a team we were supposed to beat, according to our poll rankings anyway. Not to mention a team we've beaten at home for a long time.

I hope none of the rushers are butt hurt over the criticism because they should have expected it.

I think the non-rushers are more butthurt than the rushers

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don't understand why the students rushed last night. At this rate, we will probably have about 3-4 more court stormings this year.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We can have an undefeated season and we'd probably rush the court 3-4 times that season. Rushing against Michigan was great. Rushing against Iowa when we were the higher ranked team and were expected to win puts on a facade that our fans don't expect to and don't know how to handle winning big games.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Other teams don't like our students rushing the court? Ok, then come to Hilton and beat the Cyclones. Simple.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
The fact that this stupid thread has gone on for 18 pages is just ridiculous.

So, ISU fans/students rushed the court. Big ******* deal! Seriously, some of you want to criticize this instead of just celebrating the win last night? I don't understand that at all.

What is the big concern? That somehow ISU will look bad to the rest of the college basketball world or something? Really?

ISU was favored yes.....by a very slight margin, on a home court that is no doubt one of the best home court advantages in all of college basketball. Both teams are ranked and rising, and both teams look like solid candidates to make it to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA this year. Iowa led most of the game, and quite frankly, probably should have won it. It came down to the very last seconds, and 3 consecutive shots missed by Iowa (even though it is questionable what they thought they would accomplish with the last 2 tips). ISU won, and a few hundred students rushed the floor, not so much to just dance around like fools, but what I saw was a fan base that wanted to embrace, congratulate and celebrate with THEIR players, THEIR team.

If the rest of the college basketball world can't deal with that.....**** 'em. If some of you can't deal with that and really want to complain about it.......I think you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron