Do not release Wes

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
We absolutely should not release him. If he had said he wanted to transfer in January or February, no problem, we could have signed someone else for next year. We can't do that now.

ISU offered him a scholarship for the 2008-2009 season and according to the DMRegister, Wesley signed it on May 6. A scholarship is basically a 2-way contract and it is needed to protect both parties. As far as I'm concerned, once he signed it, he needs to live up to it or pay the consequences...which means he can either be at ISU on scholarship or he can go to some other school and pay his own way.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I think GMac and Pollard are building a case to not release him. First GMac says that he has to stand up and fight and then he creates a time line with several signed legal documents that negate Wes' story. They wont release him until Wes convinces GMac and Pollard that he was truly unhappy all season even though there were no indications.

I was expecting a Nick Nolte kind of freak out today too. GMac deserves a lot of respect for staying so cool and handling this with class. If I were in his shoes, I certainly would hold nothing back.

Start watching at 5 minutes
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjI3cgdYZDE"]YouTube - Blue Chips - Illegal Recruiting[/ame]

This whole situation is one giant circle jerk in the middle of a god damn cluster ****

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Seems a lot of folks are waiting for that release...from the DMR following today's presser...

Iowa State has not released Johnson from his scholarship, even though 12 to 15 schools have requested that letter of release. No one at Iowa State would name those schools, though Alabama and Kentucky are believed to be serious contenders for Johnson’s services.

kuney1

Mar 20, 2006
My earlier thought process was to release him, but now I agree that there's no hurry. Let him wait on us.

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
We've got to release him at some point. It's bad business if we don't.

But first make him fly back to Ames on his own dime and explain the situation to GMac and Pollard in person. If he can explain it to their satisfaction then release him to schools that aren't in the following list: any Iowa school, any Big XII school, Kentucky, Alabama, Michigan, Michigan State, or any school that we have scheduled or are thinking of scheduling in the near future.

Even better, only release him to Southern Miss. Force him to play for LE for three years.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Even better, only release him to Southern Miss. Force him to play for LE for three years.

There was a good LE quote about Adam Haulska on CR today that sums up Wes right now.

"There are two types of pussies in the world, mental, and physical, and right now your son is both."

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Should just let his scholly run out or until we find someone better to use that scholly on, then we can release him.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
There was a good LE quote about Adam Haulska on CR today that sums up Wes right now.

"There are two types of pussies in the world, mental, and physical, and right now your son is both."

Good post. It reminds us that things could be worse -- Larry could still be our coach. But in fairness to Adam he announced he was transferring as soon as possible, he took the high road with regard to comments about his coach and teammates, and he did not sign his scholarship renewal then renege on it a few weeks later.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Good post. It reminds us that things could be worse -- Larry could still be our coach. But in fairness to Adam he announced he was transferring as soon as possible, he took the high road with regard to comments about his coach and teammates, and he did not sign his scholarship renewal then renege on it a few weeks later.

This is very true.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Here is what we are going to do. We should sit on Wes's scholly for about another week and then bring in Brad Reese the 6-6 200lb 3 man. That is if he isn't committed yet.

We should throw a bone at Emmanuel Negedu and Rashanti Harris also because what do we have to lose. We can offer both these guys a frickin starting spot in the Big12 their first year most likely.
I think things would be back in order if we had this as a line up.
Garrett
Staigger
Negudu
Thompson or Vanderbeeken
Brackins

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA

And at least Adam had a reason.
Coach was a raging Alcholic
He had 2 close friends and a pretty decent girl at Iowa.

Wes just disappeared like Micheal Jackson.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
We've got to release him at some point. It's bad business if we don't.

But first make him fly back to Ames on his own dime and explain the situation to GMac and Pollard in person. If he can explain it to their satisfaction then release him to schools that aren't in the following list: any Iowa school, any Big XII school, Kentucky, Alabama, Michigan, Michigan State, or any school that we have scheduled or are thinking of scheduling in the near future.

Along those same lines - and I don't think we really can dictate where WJ will end up - BUT I'd really like for us to make his release conditional. The conditions would be that he can transfer BUT NOT to any of the schools whom have come sniffing around WJ prior to McD's press conference. Although that is what I'd love to see, I also know that it could be very difficult to prove which schools have been on WJ's trail recently. It'd be great if the NCAA could come to our aid in this & threaten possible investigation into any institution trying to mess with this situation before our school has the chance to sort it all out....Wait, the NCAA help us?...God help us please - give us some justice in this situation!!

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006

Wes just disappeared like Micheal Jackson.

Yeah, I honestly never thought I would say it... But right now I have more respect for AH than I do Wes...

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

Don't forget he had at least two teammates -- Jackson Vroman & Tim Barnes -- who were more interested in smoking weed than in playing basketball.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
Don't forget he had at least two teammates -- Jackson Vroman & Tim Barnes -- who were more interested in smoking weed than in playing basketball.

Vroman was a hell of a ball player and brought so much energy to hilton..and yet people love to talk about smoking weed. This team needs someone like jackson who brought energy, rebounding and points.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006

Cheap shot. I don't care if they were the Cheech and Chong brothers Vrmoan gave us all he had.