Disney+

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I work with studios designing licensed products and I think if Disney had moved on Netflix after Fox it would have at least started mumblings about anti-trust laws.

With two entertainment conglomerates growing so fast, Netflix being as strong as it has been apart from Disney and Uni is an argument against any sort of anti-trust laws.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
As far as the potential bundling of ESPN+, isn't ESPN+ only for third tier rights? So any tier 1 and tier 2 would still be on ESPN and ESPN 2 stations and not on ESPN+. Or at least that is the way I understand it.

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
As far as the potential bundling of ESPN+, isn't ESPN+ only for third tier rights? So any tier 1 and tier 2 would still be on ESPN and ESPN 2 stations and not on ESPN+. Or at least that is the way I understand it.

This is true for football, but I did see in a overview of the deal that ESPN basically has the right to do what they want with all conference basketball games (which is my one issue with the deal), so...there is that. I hope they have a package with just Disney+ and ESPN+. I don’t need Hulu when I have PsVue’s dvr and amazon prime that has basically identical content to Hulu with I think better original shows.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
This is true for football, but I did see in a overview of the deal that ESPN basically has the right to do what they want with all conference basketball games, so...there is that

For basketball, more than likely most of the non-conference games will be on ESPN+, just it is for cyclones.tv. I would bet the conference games would be on ESPN, ESPN2, etc. channels.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
For basketball, more than likely most of the non-conference games will be on ESPN+, just it is for cyclones.tv. I would bet the conference games would be on ESPN, ESPN2, etc. channels.
Yeah I would too, but it is possible that they put conference games on ESPN+ from what I gathered. They probably won’t, but the thing is that they could.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This is true for football, but I did see in a overview of the deal that ESPN basically has the right to do what they want with all conference basketball games (which is my one issue with the deal), so...there is that. I hope they have a package with just Disney+ and ESPN+. I don’t need Hulu when I have PsVue’s dvr and amazon prime that has basically identical content to Hulu with I think better original shows.
I have Hulu and Amazon Prime and they do not have anything close to identical content.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I have Hulu and Amazon Prime and they do not have anything close to identical content.
Maybe it has changed, but I used to have both and the movies that they offered were very similar. Obviously original content is going to be different. As far as network shows, PsVue does everything Hulu does with its dvr. I thought that was implied in my post.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
One big thing a lot of people who whine about all these streaming services don't consider is that it isn't a coincidence that the quality of TV has risen DRASTICALLY along with the rise of these services. Yes, there were and are still some good network TV shows out there, but a lot of the reason why TV was so garbage and low budget in the past was because it had to be due to all the rules and structure requirements they had to operate around to be a part of network TV. This greatly hampered creative freedom. Some examples would be that most network shows require way-too-many large episode counts (usually around 22/season), half hour or hour time lengths exactly, dramatic setups and break points for commercials, maturity of content needs to match exactly with time slot, budgets will always be limited, and each show needs to try to mooch for as many seasons as possible in an attempt to reach syndication status. Now, when it comes to streaming, you can tell a creative we can throw all that crap out the window. No more hooks required, make every episode the length it needs to be, make every season the number of episodes it needs to be to tell your story best, have your maturity of your content match exactly what the story requires, and here is a crap more money than before to tell your story. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that since the content you are able to make will be so much better, now you can not only afford all these big name movie stars to jump into your show, but they also are excited to do so since the content is so much better than it used to be so it only enhances their brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Janny

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Maybe it has changed, but I used to have both and the movies that they offered were very similar. Obviously original content is going to be different. As far as network shows, PsVue does everything Hulu does with its dvr. I thought that was implied in my post.
I dont know anything about PSVu, but does it offer full television series like Hulu? For example, I'm going back and watching Brooklyn 99 a Rick and Morty from the beginning. Is that something you can do on PSVu? I pretty much only use Hulu for TV series, not movies. Looking in to it Hulu and Amazon Prime share 1/3 of their movies.

• Informative
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I dont know anything about PSVu, but does it offer full television series like Hulu? For example, I'm going back and watching Brooklyn 99 a Rick and Morty from the beginning. Is that something you can do on PSVu? I pretty much only use Hulu for TV series, not movies. Looking in to it Hulu and Amazon Prime share 1/3 of their movies.

Good info, 1/3 is less than I thought. You can record all live airings on PsVue and also use on demand to watch series retroactively, so it depends what the individual networks offer on demand. CBS is the biggest pain with what they offer on demand, because they try to push people towards their cbs all access app. The only thing with PsVue is that they only keep recordings for 30 days, but we watch shows immediately so it’s not a big deal for us. It does automatically record shows/movies when they come back out once you add them to your dvr. So if they are deleted from the dvr they will be put back on when they air again without having to add it again.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Do people not have all of these movies already? Maybe I'm just in a unique situation so that's why I don't see the value.
I'll give you an example. We own a copy of Fantastic Mr Fox on Blu-ray. We also have it DVRd from like 2 years ago. The DVR copy gets watched so many more times than the Blu-ray copy. It's easy for the kids to watch. It can be played in any room. Doesn't require putting any discs in. The kids can do it all themselves.

Is that lazy? Sure, probably. But I guarantee you that scenario plays out with countless families with countless other movies. Convenience is a huge selling point. If a kid can log on to the service on their ipad, and watch Frozen and Tangled and Brave for the umpteenth time without taking up the family room TV screen that I want to watch football on? Take my $7 a month right now.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'll give you an example. We own a copy of Fantastic Mr Fox on Blu-ray. We also have it DVRd from like 2 years ago. The DVR copy gets watched so many more times than the Blu-ray copy. It's easy for the kids to watch. It can be played in any room. Doesn't require putting any discs in. The kids can do it all themselves.

Is that lazy? Sure, probably. But I guarantee you that scenario plays out with countless families with countless other movies. Convenience is a huge selling point. If a kid can log on to service on their ipad, and watch Frozen and Tangled and Brave for the umpteenth time without taking up the family room TV screen that I want to watch football on? Take my $7 a month right now.
Rip that Bluray and use something like Plex and you can watch it from anywhere in the world let alone any room in the house. I understand I'm in the minority here, I think the service is priced well and will do very well, just from my perspective it doesn't have value for me.

• Winner
Reactions: NickTheGreat

CyJack2299

Mar 26, 2019
The people complaining about too many streaming services know that you can cancel them at anytime right?

Hell, you can just get a free trial with a new email and binge watch some show in a week. This isn’t that hard.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Rip that Bluray and use something like Plex and you can watch it from anywhere in the world let alone any room in the house. I understand I'm in the minority here, I think the service is priced well and will do very well, just from my perspective it doesn't have value for me.
I could definitely do that. It's worth $7 a month to not have to, though. The streaming service goes wherever my kid's devices go. I don't have to buy/rent the disc or rip it or anything. I don't have to have a moment of clarity where I realize that I'm spending my precious time updating a library of kids movies that I likely won't ever watch. With the streaming service, they're simply available.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Personal opinion. This whole streaming thing is a bubble that is going to burst at some point due to how you get it to your house. Your internet speed. More people streaming is going to put a bigger strain on the ISP and affect your ability to stream without issue which is what is expected. Not to mention that same ISP is more than likely also the cable provider who now has less revenue to build/upgrade services because of the cable cutters.

Not saying the status quo is okay but I believe the bubble burst is closer than we think.

Just happened to notice this comment - wondering if you still have this opinion?

I would say streaming has only gotten better since this post, do you think the bubble burst is further out?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The people complaining about too many streaming services know that you can cancel them at anytime right?

Hell, you can just get a free trial with a new email and binge watch some show in a week. This isn’t that hard.

But it's a pain. Here is an example of what I would go through.

Pay $80/month to get cable with all the channels you watch including DVR/Tivo

Try out Youtube TV for a two week trial. Make sure that all 3 TV's have a streaming device (2 Roku and 1 Shield). Next make sure that all the Harmony remotes are set-up to use the streaming device on each TV. Spend a week getting use to the way it works. Try to figure out myself and then explain to her the differences between the different types of items in the library. Some you can skip the commercials, some you can't. Then at the end of two weeks, wife says "I guess I could live with it but there are a few channels missing that I watch all the time".

Try out any of the others services for free and go through this whole process again and at the end you're still missing channels that you watch.

Then realize that Mediacom charges you more for your internet when you don't bundle so your real savings is $20/month and that's assuming that you don't need to upgrade so that you don't hit your data caps.

I really want to cut the cord but the complete package is just not there yet for me and once it is I have a feeling the savings will be minimal. It's too bad because there are pieces of each service that I actually prefer over cable like.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Just happened to notice this comment - wondering if you still have this opinion?

I would say streaming has only gotten better since this post, do you think the bubble burst is further out?

I would agree that the streaming options have gotten better but still believe that it will be interesting to watch. How many of these different options are people going to subscribe to? If I get this will I cut Netflix especially since it is double the price of Disney now?

I am still unsure if the ISP networks will be able to keep up with everyone streaming. There are still a ton of people that mainly have traditional cable or satellite for their main viewing. How will the infrastructure hold up as more people move to it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron