Disney+

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Based on the way Disney has used their "vault" system; I would guess they only have X number of the BIG animated movies available for a few months and then they shuffle back into a new "digital vault" but then other classic animated movies come out of the vault. Rinse and repeat. This keeps people signed up for the service or brings them back frequently.

I'm also guessing the downloaded versions of these movies either cost a premium or are only available for the amount of time the movie is out of the vault.

Or maybe my guesses are just my jaded-ness from Disney's use of the vault in the past but they won't do things the same way in the future.
I thought that when they announced Disney+, they said the vault was done. Doesn't mean they can't bring it back, I guess, but at the moment the vault is dead

Reactions: ElephantPie

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Doesn't PBS have a Roku app?

Come to think of it I believe so. We don't watch PBS at all anymore, but I do recall watching it since getting PSVue. We do not have an OTA antenna due to living in a low area it is difficult to pick anything up.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
I thought that when they announced Disney+, they said the vault was done. Doesn't mean they can't bring it back, I guess, but at the moment the vault is dead

I looked it up and you are correct. Disney said in March that their streaming service will end the vault. My pessimism has failed me again.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr Janny

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Come to think of it I believe so. We don't watch PBS at all anymore, but I do recall watching it since getting PSVue. We do not have an OTA antenna due to living in a low area it is difficult to pick anything up.

I read recently that PBS is negotiating with the streaming services and that we should be hearing something in the near future about PBS being added to those services. The issue is that most of the PBS content is developed or owned by the local PBS affiliates and they want to make sure that the local affiliates are the stations broadcast on those services and not a "generic" PBS channel.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The PBS shows are generally a lot better than the Disney shows. Plus it's free and doesn't take any data to watch. Are the shows produced locally ie by each state?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I can't believe that they told the market they will lose money for 5 years and the stock soars 10%. Sure makes sense.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I looked it up and you are correct. Disney said in March that their streaming service will end the vault. My pessimism has failed me again.
I always figured the "vault" was just Disneys rebranding of the industries standard practice of only periodically having movies in production for sale. I'm sure every movie only has a limited time in which they are being produced for sale, with popular ones being reprinted every so often as inventory gets very low or there are anniversaries or remasters. Disney just announced they were opening the "vault" whenever this happened to get a bump in sales.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
You can't DVR from the OTA antenna, but the big 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC) minus pbs you can use the DVR if you go through PSVue. Using them together you just set your tv up as two different inputs no big deal to switch back and forth as needed, but really pbs is the only thing you would need the OTA antenna for.

With my Tablo box I can record all OTA shows.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

TLDR warning...

The "Vault" is certainly the 100% opposite of how Netflix and HBO have succeeded...but rotating 20% of Disney's IP could potentially be on par with those services continually offering nearly all of their content depending on what the 20% is.

The way Marvel and Star Wars blurays have always been overpriced compared to everything else (even pre-Disney) makes me think their service won't typically have the ability to binge stream the entire saga of either, maybe they'll make it like a special one week event where you can stream Star Wars 1-9 or like what AMC is doing with the Marvel movies on cable.

The Fox merger really doesn't make sense in a lot of ways...it really does skirt toward anti-trust. It gets them just a TINY bit of Star Wars home video rights that Fox had but Disney doesn't give a flying **** about things like Simpsons, Family Guy, Alien, etc. Working directly with these companies it's night and day different to see how Universal just jumped all over Dreamworks to try to maximize and integrate it immediately.

Any 80s kids remember how AWESOME the Disney Channel was compared to other channels back when it was premium pay channel on cable? I remember my favorite show was Donald Presents where it was just a collection of animated shorts. Whenever we got a free trial I would go nuts watching that. Also the Disney sunday night movie on ABC was pretty awesome. Scarcity back then really created a huge event. Just before we got a VCR I remember my parents planning a get together with some of my childhood friends because The Empire Strikes Back was going to be on TV on a certain night.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I always figured the "vault" was just Disneys rebranding of the industries standard practice of only periodically having movies in production for sale. I'm sure every movie only has a limited time in which they are being produced for sale, with popular ones being reprinted every so often as inventory gets very low or there are anniversaries or remasters. Disney just announced they were opening the "vault" whenever this happened to get a bump in sales.

I think it was stretched out a bit to maximize their domination of home video sales and keep their prices higher.

Being #1 allows you to push that advantage in ways other companies couldn't.

Marvel not officially naming Endgame until a few months before release is something that could only be done successfully by a studio that is absolutely destroying its competition. With the Marvel properties right now they're in a position they can do whatever they want. Many consumer products had to be manufactured with only an "Avengers" logo because they had to be made before the movie was named, millions of products were sold to retail without retailers even seeing the products they were buying because of quadrupled security measures, it's pretty unheard of and speaks to the dominance.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Back when I had cable it cost more than $80/month, and I didn't get a discount for bundling internet+TV. My internet cost now with streaming is the same as it was with cable, and all of my streaming services combined are less than half what I was paying for cable.

Plus, I can turn them on/off whenever I want (like I just did once basketball finished up).

Might not be for everyone, but for many of us, the benefits far outweigh the cons.

I always have Prime, I check Crackle and Roku Channel once a month because they're the best free legal streaming I've come by. Then I pay for one streaming service a month that I rotate:
-HBO probably 2-3 months a year
-Netflix probably 2-3 months a year
-Cyclones.tv every Sept-Februrary
-I'm going to try CBS soon because I'm a lifelong Star Trek and Twilight Zone fan
-Haven't tried Hulu yet but I will sometime soon
-Used to do Sling 2-3 months a year for sports but it sucked in terms of it didn't work
-Now do YoutubeTV 2-3 months a year for sports even though it costs more but it works as well as full Cable TV with DVR

It's a TON of content for what comes out to around $25/mo and I can't count the Prime subscription towards it because I get that anyway. If I never did youtube TV it'd only be about $14/mo

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I read recently that PBS is negotiating with the streaming services and that we should be hearing something in the near future about PBS being added to those services. The issue is that most of the PBS content is developed or owned by the local PBS affiliates and they want to make sure that the local affiliates are the stations broadcast on those services and not a "generic" PBS channel.

A ton of Nova episodes have been on Amazon Prime for years. Usually it's about 1/3 of the modern series is free and the other episodes you can buy. I couldn't tell you about kids shows. I wonder if HBO now has the rights to old Sesame Street shows.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is how ESPN is going to stay relevant.

It's not going to take long for Disney+ to become a behemoth in the streaming industry. And they will bring ESPN right along with them.

They'll still get their money from the cable/satellite companies, to some degree, but they'll put more and more content on ESPN+. If I had to bet, it won't be long before the main ESPN network will be available to stream, and bundling it with other services like Disney+ and Hulu will attract more casual viewers who might not have subscribed to a standalone espn streaming service. It will be another revenue stream for them, one that their competition won't be able to easily compete with, simply because they won't have the 800lb gorilla that is Disney in their corner.

I think a separate Fox entity still runs the national Fox Sports networks but the regional Fox Sports were or will be absorbed into ESPN. Had they absorbed all of Fox Sports again I think they get near that anti-trust area.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
And some on CF were wondering if they were going to have enough good content.