Disney+

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Personal opinion. This whole streaming thing is a bubble that is going to burst at some point due to how you get it to your house. Your internet speed. More people streaming is going to put a bigger strain on the ISP and affect your ability to stream without issue which is what is expected. Not to mention that same ISP is more than likely also the cable provider who now has less revenue to build/upgrade services because of the cable cutters.

Not saying the status quo is okay but I believe the bubble burst is closer than we think.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Disney has tried and failed on multiple occasions to get a digital "locker" or "service" up and going. I for one will NOT be subscribing to any additional services like this. I'm getting tired of every company up and making a new subscription service... and most of them are horrible (either UI or actual streaming quality). Leave it to the "pros" at netflix (and to a much lesser extent, hulu) to handle the streaming. Even amazon, a company with a crap ton of resources, can't create a competent user experience to rival netflx.
I beg to differ. One could argue their original content is much better than much of Netflix, especially now that they are releasing films in theaters.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm kind of a schill for most all Disney products, so I'll obviously be signing up. However, the biggest thing that gets me excited for this service is the hope for some really good additional original content that we may not have gotten without this service, such as a possible new Star Wars TV live-action TV series.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Sounds like Disney's streaming service will be getting a live action Star Wars series, as had been speculated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

This is going to succeed, and then watch all of the other big players to follow suit with their own streaming services. People wanted a la carte TV? This is what a la carte looks like.

Disney also announced an all-new Marvel TV show will be exclusive to the streaming service.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-will-bring-an-all-new-marvel-show-to-its-streami-1820313040

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Disney+ details were announced yesterday. I updated the first post in the thread with pricing and release details, but here is Disney+ in a nutshell:

Release Date: Nov 12, 2019

Price: $6.99/month or $69.99/year

Content on Day 1 of Launch:

New Star Wars Series "The Mandalorian"

Disney "Classic Films" such as Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast

Pixar Short Films​

All episodes of the Simpsons

All Star Wars films

All MCU films​

Content Year 1:
New MCU series based on Vision/Scarlet Witch called "WandaVision"

New MCU series based on Falcon & Winter Soldier

New MCU animated series called "What If"

All Pixar Films

"Monsters at Work" series based on Monster's Inc (with Billy Crystal & John Goodman returning)

Original Disney Live Action Films "Noelle" (starring Anna Kendrick) & "Lady & the Tramp" remake
It's also sounding like Disney plans to bundle Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu. No idea what the pricing for that would look like yet.

https://gizmodo.com/disney-drops-all-the-details-on-its-upcoming-netflix-co-1833986095

https://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-will-highlight-both-new-and-classic-projects-fr-1833979014

190411205140-disney-plus-screen-exlarge-169.jpg

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I do not understand why someone would subscribe to that right away unless they were reeeaaaallllyyyyyy interested in the new Star Wars series. It seems like their day one content is movies everyone has already seen, The Simpsons and the new Star Wars series?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Disney+ details were announced yesterday. I updated the first post in the thread with pricing and release details, but here is Disney+ in a nutshell:

Release Date: Nov 12, 2019

Price: $6.99/month or $69.99/year

Content on Day 1 of Launch:

New Star Wars Series "The Mandalorian"

Disney "Classic Films" such as Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast

Pixar Short Films​

All episodes of the Simpsons

All Star Wars films

All MCU films​

Content Year 1:
New MCU series based on Vision/Scarlet Witch called "WandaVision"

New MCU series based on Falcon & Winter Soldier

New MCU animated series called "What If"

All Pixar Films

"Monsters at Work" series based on Monster's Inc (with Billy Crystal & John Goodman returning)

Original Disney Live Action Films "Noelle" (starring Anna Kendrick) & "Lady & the Tramp" remake
It's also sounding like Disney plans to bundle Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu. No idea what the pricing for that would look like yet.

https://gizmodo.com/disney-drops-all-the-details-on-its-upcoming-netflix-co-1833986095

https://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-will-highlight-both-new-and-classic-projects-fr-1833979014

190411205140-disney-plus-screen-exlarge-169.jpg
tenor.gif

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I do not understand why someone would subscribe to that right away unless they were reeeaaaallllyyyyyy interested in the new Star Wars series. It seems like their day one content is movies everyone has already seen, The Simpsons and the new Star Wars series?
I dont know how reeeeaaallllyyy interested you have to be at that price point. It's the price of a pop and bag of chips. But yeah, it's the Mandalorian for me and the Disney movies for the kids. Plus I'm a Hulu live subscriber and will apparently be needing ESPN+ to watch Big XII games now. So yeah, not a tough decision for me. A ton of people are going to sign up for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think you underestimate the power of the Disney brand. They have a legion of fans who will sign up for the service just to get access to the Disney films that have been in "the vault"

Plus, if they bundle ESPN and Hulu? The susbscribers will be there.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: SCNCY and wxman1

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This seems like maybe a summer subscription when nothing is on regular TV. Can't see this being a year round subscription for our house.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think you underestimate the power of the Disney brand. They have a legion of fans who will sign up for the service just to get access to the Disney films that have been in "the vault"

Do people not have all of these movies already? Maybe I'm just in a unique situation so that's why I don't see the value.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
This seems like maybe a summer subscription when nothing is on regular TV. Can't see this being a year round subscription for our house.

I am right there with you. I am sure we will get it at some point for the old Disney stuff especially but I have apprehension about all this a la carte stuff. Subscribe to enough of it and we are right back to the price point we were paying for DTV.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

With the kid on the way I can see this house going all in for the Disney/EPSN+ (maybe) and Hulu TV combo

We have PS Vue and are happy with that. We've streamed MLB.tv and NHL content too

It would be as easy as loading up the apps and clicking

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

You must not have kids. Not only is $6.99 an even lower than I expected price point, but the fact alone you have access to all those Disney movies and shows makes it SUPER valuable to a parent. I think you are discounting how valuable all that IP alone is. Shoot, for parents, you could have a streaming service only containing Sophia and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and you'd be amazed how many people sign up. One other big thing people aren't talking about is how valuable them adding a downloadable option to all this stuff is, which is essential for our house load with car trips. Shoot, its why I buy so many darn movies. Yes, Netflix has this, but even they only allow download on certain content.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You must not have kids. Not only is $6.99 an even lower than I expected price point, but the fact alone you have access to all those Disney movies and shows makes it SUPER valuable to a parent. I think you are discounting how valuable all that IP alone is. Shoot, for parents, you could have a streaming service only containing Sophia and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and you'd be amazed how many people sign up. One other big thing people aren't talking about is how valuable them adding a downloadable option to all this stuff is, which is essential for our house load with car trips. Shoot, its why I buy so many darn movies. Yes, Netflix has this, but even they only allow download on certain content.
I have kids, that's why I already have all those things, which I why I questioned the value of it. But yes, I could see if you had kids but didn't have the movies/shows it may be worth it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I am right there with you. I am sure we will get it at some point for the old Disney stuff especially but I have apprehension about all this a la carte stuff. Subscribe to enough of it and we are right back to the price point we were paying for DTV.

Give me this bundled with ESPN, Hulu, then still subscribe to Netflix, I'm still running way cheaper than cable or satellite and what the heck else would I need? Plus, combine those and I'll have way more and better content than the garbage package and content that cable or satellite ever gave me. Screw cable. Keep all your reality TV garbage and worthless network shows.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
With the kid on the way I can see this house going all in for the Disney/EPSN+ (maybe) and Hulu TV combo

We have PS Vue and are happy with that. We've streamed MLB.tv and NHL content too

I would be as easy as loading up the apps and clicking

Where are you streaming NHL network? If that’s what you meant.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I have kids, that's why I already have all those things, which I why I questioned the value of it. But yes, I could see if you had kids but didn't have the movies/shows it may be worth it.

Obviously you have cable, satellite or Sling TV or something then. This may be your opportunity to scale down and save yourself some dough. A lot of people look at all these things as things to add. I look at them as things to scale down. I also think people forget that with all these streaming things, you don't have to subscribe year round. Just let the stuff you want compile, sign up for one month a year, knock your shows out you want to watch, then cancel and wait for next year. Its not satellite, you aren't signing a contract. This is what I do with CBS all access and Hulu right now. Shoot, half the time they still offer promotions where that month is free.

Last edited: