Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives - Des Moines metro

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Now or Later is a great place! No one knows about it unless you have a reason to come to the east side. Speaking of Thai, we get the Thai Flavors on E 14th and I like it better than Cool Basil and it is cheaper

Thai Flavors is awesome, going there later this week for lunch. If you live up around Ankeny, the same people also own Siam Table so you can grab yourself some great Thai.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Now or Later on East University was pretty damn good last time I was there. Homemade onion rings. The only down side was the gal that sounded like she smoked at least a pack of Marlboro reds a day. Sounded and kinda looked like Marge's sisters from The Simpsons.

I'll have to try this out. I love places that make their breading for different apps, I haven't found any really good onion rings in DSM yet. Okoboji back in the 2000s used to have amazing home-made breaded chicken strips, but I tried to get them around 2014 and it seems they went back to prepackaged.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Got lunch there earlier this year and was not that impressed. In fact I found their restaurant to be a little lacking on cleaning while I waited for my order, most noticeably the air vents looked liked they had not been cleaned in quite some time.
I think they're struggling post covid. Last time I got takeout it took about an hour and fifteen minutes. I didn't go in though but your message and my wait time makes me worried. I still enjoyed the food though

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Simon is one of the chillest dudes on the planet.
Pretty sure he is behind R&Cs in Windsor Heights on University. Used to live in that area and there were a couple places that were solid in that location but never stayed open. Probably a little too buttoned up. Hopefully something can stick. It’s an area in need of a good local joint.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Drake diner, seafood place east of the capital (can’t think of name.) barntown, Smokey D’s, Latin king.

Drake Diner should be the star of this thread. If you're talking diners, this place checks all the boxes.

I'll also add Sorriso Grille in Ankeny (technically Carney maybe). Get the Carney Platter with capicola and sourdough.

Reactions: JP4CY

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Pretty sure he is behind R&Cs in Windsor Heights on University. Used to live in that area and there were a couple places that were solid in that location but never stayed open. Probably a little too buttoned up. Hopefully something can stick. It’s an area in need of a good local joint.

It was Simon and the guy behind Harbinger went together on it. But they recently parted ways and Simon is no longer involved.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Drake Diner should be the star of this thread. If you're talking diners, this place checks all the boxes.

I'll also add Sorriso Grille in Ankeny (technically Carney maybe). Get the Carney Platter with capicola and sourdough.
Drake is awesome.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
As the OP I should probably add one place others may like. Yanni's in Ankeny is good if you like Greek food.

• Agree
Reactions: kkise

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My parents have been down to Truman's for breakfast a few times and say it's great. I haven't been there yet for it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I have not personally been there yet but have heard Watcha Smokin in Luther is a hidden gem too

Actually it's probably off the hidden gem list, pretty busy most of the time now days.