Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives - Des Moines metro

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
My family usually sticks to the same handful of places to eat out at. I would like to discover some new places. What are some good spots in the metro you would recommend?

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
Charlottes Kitchen (chicken sandwiches)
Gazalis (gyro/Mediterranean)
Fresh (gyro/Mediterranean)
Angry Goldfish (Good pub style food)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Mi Patria was actually featured on DD&D, never been there myself but could be a good place to start.
Love this place.

El Rey Burrito another hidden gem in Valley Junction. Barn Town's food is stupid good and their beer is right behind it. Cozi Cucina isn't a dive but their cheese cake and lobster bisque are incredible.

Reactions: dawgpound

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Cactus Bob's in Johnston. Awesome BBQ that seemingly no one knows about.
The wife and I ate there once a couple years ago. It was the worst BBQ we’ve ever had. The ribs she ordered tasted like they were cooked a couple days before and reheated in a microwave(rubbery) and the brisket I ordered was chewy with no flavor. I was shocked to see they were featured on man vs food. Maybe it was just a bad day for them and the normal pit masters were gone or what, but it was atrocious.

Flying Mango and Mi Patria are 10/10 places to eat as others have already stated. Both I believe have been featured on diners, drive ins and dives and rightfully so. Just amazing food. The owner of Flying Mango was walking around and sitting and talking with customers when we were there the first time and is a super nice guy. Can’t recommend that place enough.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The wife and I ate there once a couple years ago. It was the worst BBQ we’ve ever had. The ribs she ordered tasted like they were cooked a couple days before and reheated in a microwave(rubbery) and the brisket I ordered was chewy with no flavor. I was shocked to see they were featured on man vs food. Maybe it was just a bad day for them and the normal pit masters were gone or what, but it was atrocious.

Flying Mango and Mi Patria are 10/10 places to eat as others have already stated. Both I believe have been featured on diners, drive ins and dives and rightfully so. Just amazing food. The owner of Flying Mango was walking around and sitting and talking with customers when we were there the first time and is a super nice guy. Can’t recommend that place enough.
Being next to Camp Dodge, I've eaten there more times than I can count and have never had a bad experience. I'm guessing that was an outlier because I've never heard anyone else say they didn't like the place.

Reactions: dawgpound

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A Taste of Italy is a gem for sandwiches, tucked into a strip mall in Clive/Windsor Heights.

Simon's is amazing.

Just trying to think of things not downtown.
Simon is one of the chillest dudes on the planet.