Devondrick Nealy in a bit of trouble? Already?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
All we know is he had a BB gun and got up to walk away after a cop told him to get on his knees or whatever.

What actions do you know happened that are 2 game suspension worthy? I think Rhoads does look at the whole situation and sees it for what it is, Nealy runs a few thousand yards for making a boneheaded decision (which didn't harm or put anyone at risk) and moves on.

At this point the only thing that he may have done that was an issue at all was IF he was one of the guys frisking people on central campus (who by the way they didn't hurt or take anything from). And even then it was clearly a BB gun they were using or they would have sent out an ISUalert because the gun looked like it might be real. They didn't.

Have you ever played paintball or lazer tag? They were doing that only they did it on ISU campus which was where they made the mistake. And as a freshman that hasn't been on campus long or gone through orientation or read all the rules for University property I can see why you would think carrying a BB gun with a couple buddies on central campus was harmless and wouldn't even realize it was against the rules.

tumblr_llprjanbd81qzaxefo1_r1_400.gif

My lord, I hope you're kidding.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Good story. Now, I have one. What if DN is walking around carrying his BB gun and two guys approach him from behind with baseball bats and tell him to give them all his money. He then pulls out the BB gun and assailants flea? I'd say, "Man, it sure is a good thing he had that BB gun." Of course, that's not what happened. Neither did your story. Let's stick to what actually happened here. Had he done anything as bad as some of you guys make it seem, I would guess he would have been arrested instead of just cited.

unless the victims were not able to identify who did it

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
If he is one of the ppl that were going around fake mugging people thats messed up. But if its just him being a yougn dumb freshman its a little better. I remember a couple of years ago having air soft gun fights inside of larch with groups of 15 or so ppl.

My thoughts exactly. Until i see something that says he was involved in the fake muggings this is a non-issue to me. IMO what we actually know happened isn't worthy of a suspension. What people are speculating he did is a game or two. I'd guess like 5-10% of the male population in the dorms has a bb gun or a paintball gun in their dorm room. I'd also bet most of them at some point shot each other in the hall with them.

Nealy made the mistake of going outside with it. Anything more than that is speculation at this point.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Who cares about the Fulmer Cup? Like Iowa, our guys are getting in trouble for minor stuff. I never really had a problem with what happened in Iowa City (except the rape thing), and I don't have a problem with this. Both Ferentz and Rhoads know that you can't recruit choir boys here and win, and they're both willing to let minor **** slide. Certainly doesn't make the bad coaches (even if they aren't particularly strict disciplinarians).

Although 15 seems like more than I remember.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Good story. Now, I have one. What if DN is walking around carrying his BB gun and two guys approach him from behind with baseball bats and tell him to give them all his money. He then pulls out the BB gun and assailants flea? I'd say, "Man, it sure is a good thing he had that BB gun." Of course, that's not what happened. Neither did your story. Let's stick to what actually happened here. Had he done anything as bad as some of you guys make it seem, I would guess he would have been arrested instead of just cited.

My post was not an effort to say he did anything.....other than carry around a bb gun the someone could potentially mistake as a harmful weapon. It could have cause him or someone else harm. This is not ok! And those you who think it is ok need to re-evaluate.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Per some guy on HN under the username HawkSpeng who claims to know the story:

"I go to ISU and my brother and best friend are CSO on campus and it was my best friend that found them. There were 6 of them total and there were 3 BB guns. It could have been bad if actual cops showed up because the BB guns didn't have red tips or anything. The reason why he's getting charged is because when my buddy approached them he decided to take off and run and was chased over a mile before he disappeared and from what I've been told by them, around 5-10 minutes before my buddy found them a couple of them tried to rob 2 people in front of Curtiss Hall. No idea who tried to rob them that's just what my brother told me. That's all I know."

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I stick up for the players over the police all the time, but I just cant in this situation, the guy was carrying a bb gun. This is Ames Iowa not Detroit Michigan.

HawkSpeng17

May 26, 2010
Marshalltown
I go ISU myself and My brother and one of my best friends are CSO on campus and it was my best friend who found all this. There were 6 of them shooting 3 BB guns on central campus. It could have been really bad if a police officer got there first because the BB guns didn't have red tips or anything. The reason why he got charged is because he decided run and get chased by my friend for over a mile before he disappeared and from what i've been told, around 5-10 minutes before my friend showed up, a couple of them tried to rob 2 people in front of Curtiss Hall. The others were let go from what i've been told because they listened and didn't run. That's pretty much all I know.

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
I can understand public intox or possession of pot or minor in possession. Those things can legitimately be expected to happen any night of the week on any college campus. They're still illegal, but when something like that happens it doesn't worry me much as a fan.

In Nealy's case it shows such poor judgment that it is legitimately troubling. The shooting of a BB gun in public is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but it's the judgment (of lack thereof) behind those actions that is mind boggling. I just can't grasp why it would seem like a good idea to shoot a BB gun, in public, at 2 in the morning. Especially when you're an athlete who is under a microscope, and just stepped foot on campus.

It's things like this that get people shot by the cops. You hear about kids with BB guns or Airsoft (whatever they're called) guns getting shot by cops because the cop thought the kid had a real gun. It doesn't happen often of course, but it happens, and it's more likely to happen if it's dark out.

So you think carrying a BB gun around campus is worse than smoking pot? IMO it should be the other way around.

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines

"I go to ISU and my brother and best friend are CSO on campus and it was my best friend that found them. There were 6 of them total and there were 3 BB guns. It could have been bad if actual cops showed up because the BB guns didn't have red tips or anything. The reason why he's getting charged is because when my buddy approached them he decided to take off and run and was chased over a mile before he disappeared and from what I've been told by them, around 5-10 minutes before my buddy found them a couple of them tried to rob 2 people in front of Curtiss Hall. No idea who tried to rob them that's just what my brother told me. That's all I know."

He was on HN and has Hawk in his username. Thats all you need to know.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My post was not an effort to say he did anything.....other than carry around a bb gun the someone could potentially mistake as a harmful weapon. It could have cause him or someone else harm. This is not ok! And those you who think it is ok need to re-evaluate.

Nobody said is was perfectly OK.

So...........we don't know how involved or not involved he was. Hmm. Doesn't it seem odd he was seemingly the only football player involved as a guy that's been on campus for a couple weeks and likely only really knows football players. I don't know, I guess I'll just wait and see if anymore info comes out. No one was hurt and nothing was stolen though so that makes it significantly less serious IMO. Still not OK, just not a removable offense.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I go ISU myself and My brother and one of my best friends are CSO on campus and it was my best friend who found all this. There were 6 of them shooting 3 BB guns on central campus. It could have been really bad if a police officer got there first because the BB guns didn't have red tips or anything. The reason why he got charged is because he decided run and get chased by my friend for over a mile before he disappeared and from what i've been told, around 5-10 minutes before my friend showed up, a couple of them tried to rob 2 people in front of Curtiss Hall. The others were let go from what i've been told because they listened and didn't run. That's pretty much all I know.

Why not charge then with the attempted robbery? Or is the DA still looking at it?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Someone point out the most offensive part of this post, quick!

Hint: it has nothing to do with the content.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
tumblr_llprjanbd81qzaxefo1_r1_400.gif

My lord, I hope you're kidding.

Nope, and apparently I'm in the vast minority, so after this I'll shut up.

But based on what the police did (very minor), I am assuming many things. Most people on this thread are making assumptions that make the situation much worse than what we actually know. I'm making assumptions that give him the benefit of the doubt until I learn otherwise.

My Assumptions:
A) He isn't associated with the fake mugging (that's only been speculated by posters and he wasn't charged with it)

B) If he was involved in the fake muggings the gun was clearly fake or an ISU alert would have been issued. And I assume since there wasn't an ISU alert issued it was done in an obviously joking manner because if it had been remotely violent or remotely threatening they would have activated the ISU alert system for a threat on campus. So the muggee apparently knew it wasn't a threat and the police also didn't think there was a danger to anyone on campus. Was it dumb? YES! But obviously they didn't tackle the guy tell them they were going to kill him and steal his wallet. BTW they didn't take anything. If it wasn't a joke they would have actually taken something after all that's the whole point of mugging someone. A Bad joke? Absolutely.

Based on what we actually know i think my scenario or idea of what probably happened is closer to the truth than the people viewing it as a major problem. Because if it was a major issue the police department would have arrested him instead of writing him a fine. As so many people in this thread apparently think ISUPD are a bunch of hard ***** who don't cut people breaks it appears they would have cut a MAJOR break for Nealy if it was as bad as people are making it seem.

All that said if they add charges at a later date or we actually learn more about what he did I will change my opinion. As of now everyone is assuming things that make it seem horrible with very little actual information to go on.

Last edited: