Des Moines in the top 5

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
How much have people on this board traveled recently? If you have, you may realize that our country is in a really, really in a bad way. Nobody is calling it a depression but it is. (media bias is a topic for another day)

So here is the deal. The midwest is better off than the rest of the country. Iowa is better off than most places in the midwest. DM is better off than most of Iowa. By "better off" I mean not effected much by the economic situation and in a way that people feel better and are willing to spend money. So, people in DM are spending a lot of money compared to the rest of the country? Duh. The economy here hasn't been effected as much.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
2011 Rankings

2010 Rankings

source: Did You Know - Greater Des Moines Convention and Visitors Bureau

Cool Story Hansel.

Your city still sucks, no matter how many times the Civic Center of Greater Des Moines finishes 17th in tickets sales.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think des moines and iowa in general is like one of those movies or tv shows that all the critics love, but yet tanks at the box office\in the ratings. Tons of great magazine reviews, yet people are streaming out of the state.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think des moines and iowa in general is like one of those movies or tv shows that all the critics love, but yet tanks at the box office\in the ratings. Tons of great magazine reviews, yet people are streaming out of the state.

It is not correct to characterize population trends for Iowa and for DM in the same sentence. They are not trending the same way....not even close.

Last edited:

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Can you really compare supporting a team of the school you attended with that of a fan of a pro team? IMO, that is a little different.

if we have learned anything to this point, it is that, your opinion is usually a bit...well, insane?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It is not correct to characterize population trends for Iowa and for DM in the same sentence. They are not trending the same way....not even close.

Most of des moines growth appears to be rural to urban movement. People seeking a higher income and different lifestyle. Similar characteristics to those leaving the state entirely.. some choose to stay in state and go to des moines, some leave the state. When you click on polk county on this map you see a lot of inward migration comes from in-state, but you see more net outward migration to out of state.

As the rural areas have less people to 'feed' the growth of des moines, that growth will probably drop off as well. And that growth for actual des moines is pretty small. When you zoom in on http://data.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/iowa-census/redistricting-map/ you see most of the des moines census tracts were losing population.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Can you really compare supporting a team of the school you attended with that of a fan of a pro team? IMO, that is a little different.

Most all Royals fans have a personal connection to the team based on where they lived or they have attended games, just like Cyclone fans. Much like the Clones, there are no bandwagon jumpers in the Royals fanbase, just die hards who stick by their team, even after years of sucking. That's what good fans do at least. I guess all the Royals fans could quit cheering for them and start following the Yankees, but thankfully they are real fans and not Dbag bandwagon jumpers.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Cool Story Hansel.

Your city still sucks, no matter how many times the Civic Center of Greater Des Moines finishes 17th in tickets sales.

Well I like Des Moines and I think Denver is a **** hole. So that means it is a **** hole because I think that right? Grow up little kid. Also whats so cool about Denver, or DENVER as you call it? Its rapidly growing homosexual population or the illegal immigrants? Do you have a Denver tattoo? Is your favorite singer John Denver? Are you a super cool snowboarder? Did you cry when Mello left? Do you smoke copious amounts of marijuana? Do you love homeless people? Please oh please let us know why we are SOOOO lame for not living in the same city as you cool guy.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Most all Royals fans have a personal connection to the team based on where they lived or they have attended games, just like Cyclone fans. Much like the Clones, there are no bandwagon jumpers in the Royals fanbase, just die hards who stick by their team, even after years of sucking. That's what good fans do at least. I guess all the Royals fans could quit cheering for them and start following the Yankees, but thankfully they are real fans and not Dbag bandwagon jumpers.

Good explanation. I'll concede that point.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Most of des moines growth appears to be rural to urban movement. People seeking a higher income and different lifestyle. Similar characteristics to those leaving the state entirely.. some choose to stay in state and go to des moines, some leave the state. When you click on polk county on this map you see a lot of inward migration comes from in-state, but you see more net outward migration to out of state.

As the rural areas have less people to 'feed' the growth of des moines, that growth will probably drop off as well. And that growth for actual des moines is pretty small. When you zoom in on Census 2010: Population Change in Iowa | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com you see most of the des moines census tracts were losing population.

Cool map.

Iowa is no different than anywhere in the US. People are moving from rural areas to urban areas. This isn't a uniquely Iowa issue.

I don't think there is any reason to think Des Moines (as in metro's) population won't continue at its current healthy pace. There are just too many positives (as listed out in my earlier post) . Probably the biggest concern there would be is some type of dramatic shift in the market that negatively affects the long term health of the insurance industry.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Cool map.

Iowa is no different than anywhere in the US. People are moving from rural areas to urban areas. This isn't a uniquely Iowa issue.

I don't think there is any reason to think Des Moines (as in metro's) population won't continue at its current healthy pace. There are just too many positives (as listed out in my earlier post) . Probably the biggest concern there would be is some type of dramatic shift in the market that negatively affects the long term health of the insurance industry.

Yes, everywhere there is rural to urban movement. The problem for des moines is that looks like the primary driver of its net growth. When you take that out, des moines is likely losing population. The rural areas of iowa have less and less people and are getting older, meaning that the major growth stream for des moines will decrease over time, while it doesnt appear the stream from des moines to out of state will stop anytime soon.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Yes, everywhere there is rural to urban movement. The problem for des moines is that looks like the primary driver of its net growth. When you take that out, des moines is likely losing population. The rural areas of iowa have less and less people and are getting older, meaning that the major growth stream for des moines will decrease over time, while it doesnt appear the stream from des moines to out of state will stop anytime soon.

I'll agree with you that DM will need to continue to work to retain young professionals it has and attact others from futher and further away.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm happy with the size of the DM metro today. Everything I want besides a pro sports team is here today. No traffic issues, low cost of living, good shopping, good food, etc. I remember 20 years ago going to places like KC and Minneapolis and finding all kinds of cool things to do compared to Des Moines. Now the only time I ever go to KC is for some special event like the ISU game.

What's funny is that we never went to pro games when we lived near Chicago. Now we drive 5 hours to go see a game there?

As far as the young professionals, in today's environment a low unemployment rate goes a long long ways compared to 5-10 years ago. All those fun things to do in LA sound real great until you realize that you can't afford to live there.

Last edited:

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Well I like Des Moines and I think Denver is a **** hole. So that means it is a **** hole because I think that right? Grow up little kid. Also whats so cool about Denver, or DENVER as you call it? Its rapidly growing homosexual population or the illegal immigrants? Do you have a Denver tattoo? Is your favorite singer John Denver? Are you a super cool snowboarder? Did you cry when Mello left? Do you smoke copious amounts of marijuana? Do you love homeless people? Please oh please let us know why we are SOOOO lame for not living in the same city as you cool guy.

Hahahaha WOW! Thanks for proving my point!
What I like about Denver is that people like YOU don't live here Old Man? or Little Kid? Yes dang those homosexuals they are bringing everybody down!!
The fact that somebody like you doesn't like it, just reassures me that it is a good place bc insecure, ignorant, redneck, bigots and racists, like yourself, can stay in the Midwest.
Des Moines is what it is, a place to raise your kids and go to Church. If you want more than that, you probably aren't going to find it. It has nothing to do with being a super cool snowboarder and more about being a more advanced culture than avoiding the "gays and mexicans"

Last edited: