Death to Cyclone Alley!

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Half the season tickets owners didnt show up should we abolish that as well?

You old people need to find something better to complain about. Its the 2nd game of the season. There are better things to do today.

Here is a picture of one end early in the second half today...attendance overall wasn't good, but you can see the difference in attendance between the students on the end sections and the regular season ticket corner parquet sections pretty clearly...

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Here is a picture of Cyclone Alley right at tip - this is so sad...there were less than 150 people in both CA sections - so few I could actually count them.

Thanks, your picture shows better than mine how sad the difference in attendance was...

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Lol wow that's bad, even for a 1 pm tip on a Sunday against a bad team. I'm at home, I'm guessing a lot of other students are too, since it's that school "slump" time of the semester.

HerkyKiller

Aug 14, 2010
Ames
I was there (in the nosebleeds) but at least I have been to all 3 games. It was sad to see the student section, but it is a sunday in a college town.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Really though, students shouldn't have to pay extra to be in Cyclone Alley, if it's going to make the place look like crap, then why do it?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
So, abolish the student section? They essentially are one in the same.

No but make it like it was pre Cyclone Alley. I was a part of the student section pre CA and with CA. Pre CA was awesome. Too see 100 students maybe at a game is a joke.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Thats what you get with 5 years of a team that is horrendous. Maybe for you older folks it seems bad, but for many students, basketball turned into more of an "eh, I'm bored, lets go to a basketball game" type thing, rather than something they wanted to go to.

Sadly, I fear this is largely true. For the "old folks" like myself who remember almost every game in Hilton in the mid-90s being loud and much, much better attendance (I'm talking about the Alcorn State's of the world too) the current turnout and energy in Hilton seems pathetic.

But, the 90s didn't go through five years of life-draining basketball with a low-scoring team. McDermott absolutely drove the program off a cliff. It will take time to recover; I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Edit: I do think Cyclone Alley hurts rather than helps the cause though. It would be nice to have one side available for non-Cyclone Alley like it was one year while I was in school.

Last edited:

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Seeing those pictures, it is sad. I live out of state, so it's impossible to attend the games any more. But I was upset when they took the parquet seats away from the students. That was a lot of Hilton Magic during the Orr era. No matter who the opponent was, the parquet behind the benches was filled with rowdy students. After seeing the weak turnout for Cyclone Alley I have to say I don't feel as bad any more. It looks like ISU made the right call in taking those seats away from the student body.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Really though, students shouldn't have to pay extra to be in Cyclone Alley, if it's going to make the place look like crap, then why do it?

Agreed...I would much prefer to see it just a "student section"...you can call it Cyclone Alley or whatever you want, but don't charge extra and don't do t-shirts

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Thats what you get with 5 years of a team that is horrendous. Maybe for you older folks it seems bad, but for many students, basketball turned into more of an "eh, I'm bored, lets go to a basketball game" type thing, rather than something they wanted to go to.

That's fine, but if this is the students' attitude, why are we reserving these seats for them when we could be selling them as more expensive season tickets to fans that will show up?

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

cy8

Apr 26, 2010
Let's hope Drake is better. If CA can't fill up most of their seats during B12 then they should only be given one side of the court. If they don't sell all the seats on the lower level then they should give long time donors extra tickets or for some games give long time donors in the balcony tickets to the lower level to fill it up. Maybe have promotional things like free t shirt to first 1,000 fans or pom poms, so something to get fans in the doors.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Agreed...I would much prefer to see it just a "student section"...you can call it Cyclone Alley or whatever you want, but don't charge extra and don't do t-shirts

I completely agree with this. I was a student before and after the change to the formal CA, and the student section was much better before the change. You could just feel the energy change from one year to the next. And this was before 4 years of McD suckage, so that wasn't it at all. Just let the students be students. It works great for football, and it used to work great for basketball.

Reactions: SenorCy

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
That's fine, but if this is the students' attitude, why are we reserving these seats for them when we could be selling them as more expensive season tickets to fans that will show up?

In case you didn't realize this, nobody showed up today. You could have moved everybody from the balcony down and still not have filled up both sections of CA.

Student attendance was terrible today, no denying that. But the fanbase as a whole has been pathetic so far this season.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I completely agree with this. I was a student before and after the change to the formal CA, and the student section was much better before the change. You could just feel the energy change from one year to the next. And this was before 4 years of McD suckage, so that wasn't it at all. Just let the students be students. It works great for football, and it used to work great for basketball.

This is what I think too.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It definitely hurts student attendance and severely ruins the experience. I am a student who was at Friday night Today and will be there Tomorrow and Wednesday as well.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
People can talk about their glory days of hoops games and awesome attendance, but CA isn't the issue. The difference is winning basketball games. Anyone thinking a t-shirt makes a difference on the cheering is just making **** up to make themselves feel better. Wins get people in seats. We aren't very good, people aren't going to go out of their way to attend games. Its as simple as that.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I was there and it was pretty pathetic. Has it always been like this against the Alabama States and Northern Arizonas of the college basketball world?

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
I was there and it was pretty pathetic. Has it always been like this against the Alabama States and Northern Arizonas of the college basketball world?

This is the worst I can remember seeing it for a non-break game.

Now I know what it feels like to be in the Baylor or Nebraska student section.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is the worst I can remember seeing it for a non-break game.

Now I know what it feels like to be in the Baylor or Nebraska student section.

Not quite, as far as Nebraska goes. You didn't have Lil' Red bouncing by, and you didn't sit there yelling "GGGGOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIGGGGGG RREEEEDDDDDD," and you didn't wear a foamie corn hat. Or coveralls. And you probably had better teeth.

Reactions: SenorCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron