Dear Houston

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Playing Kansas in Phog Allen has never felt more challenging than tonight’s game.

We’ve had games against Kansas even at Hilton where ISU simply was not allowed to win. In hind sight just cancel a few of those knowing it was a scripted wwe thing.

If you’re talking about how aggressive Houston’s players are I might agree though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought it all washed out. We got a lot of favorable calls early in the second half. I'm not apologizing for that but I thought it made up for some pretty bad stuff in the first half.

Did we have any 2nd half bad turnovers where nobody even touched us but instead we got “fouled” and gifted two points? I missed any bad calls on that level. That’s at least 2 fts of the massive ft disparity.

It’s ok to just say officiating was obviously terrible and we lost a road game. Officiating was better in our other road losses and officiating might have helped us at Baylor.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
And Greenberg things Kansas is the most complete team in the league still...LOL
He just kept reiteration that over and over and over all night long. Talk about a jacka$$. How in the world can you keep stating that with that lack of depth KU has this year?? Say something about them belonging in the mix with us, Houston, and Baylor, but don't keep looking stupid by claiming they are the most "complete" when they don't have a bench to turn to. :rolleyes:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Did we have any 2nd half bad turnovers where nobody even touched us but instead we got “fouled” and gifted two points? I missed any bad calls on that level. That’s at least 2 fts of the massive ft disparity.

It’s ok to just say officiating was obviously terrible and we lost a road game. Officiating was better in our other road losses and officiating might have helped us at Baylor.

I believe the foul count was 6-to-1 at one point early in the 2nd half and we had been to the line in multiple instances and not made free throws on I'd say 50/50 calls. There was also a FT disparity because we weren't all that aggressive in the first half. I don't really care to debate officiating on a tit-for-tat basis and I thought the officiating was bad but also almost impossible in a game like this. In the end, I just really didn't think it was some huge advantage for Houston, or at least not more advantageous than your typical home whistle.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm gonna disagree with the OP just a little. I want nothing to do with that game in KC. I would rather go home early rest up and get ready for The Tourney of which we will have a REAL shot. A Houston game just b4 the Tourney would be exhausting.
Yeah, that's a game where you hope they had enough ice bathes for everyone. I'd love nothing better than to see them get knocked off the other side of the bracket.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He just kept reiteration that over and over and over all night long. Talk about a jacka$$. How in the world can you keep stating that with that lack of depth KU has this year?? Say something about them belonging in the mix with us, Houston, and Baylor, but don't keep looking stupid by claiming they are the most "complete" when they don't have a bench to turn to. :rolleyes:
The only point he had that was possibly accurate was that they have the best starting 5. I think that's at least arguable. You simply cannot ignore the complete lack of bench when assessing their overall ability to make a run though. You just can't.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I believe the foul count was 6-to-1 at one point early in the 2nd half and we had been to the line in multiple instances and not made free throws on I'd say 50/50 calls. There was also a FT disparity because we weren't all that aggressive in the first half. I don't really care to debate officiating on a tit-for-tat basis and I thought the officiating was bad but also almost impossible in a game like this. In the end, I just really didn't think it was some huge advantage for Houston, or at least not more advantageous than your typical home whistle.

This isn’t crazy to call it typical home court advantage in terms of yeah this happens a lot. People saying it evened out last night are insane or that’s just what makes them feel good. Houston would be undefeated if they could take that “evened out” officiating on the road.

What they were allowed to do on moving screens alone made the officiating pretty horrible.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
That was a grown add man basketball game. Shead is a stud. We hung though. The overrated chant by their fans at the end was strange. We are 1-1 against them this year and they are one game up on us. That made no sense
Good chance we're well and truly tied with them on Saturday, too.

Never, ever chant overrated and tear down your team's accomplishment. It's just stupid, y'all.
I could be wrong. But it sounded to me like the rest of the student section rightly killed that chant pretty quickly right as it was beginning to really get rolling.

Either way, the chant was 100% a very mid-major move by a fanbase who is not used to having worthy opponents that are being spoken highly of in the lead up to a home game... even in the context of still being decidedly favored. It was cringe on their part.

I would be embarrassed, and perhaps I'm going out on a limb here, but I think many of their own fans were embarrassed by it too, and they correctly put a stop to it. That's kind of what I gleaned from how short lived and abruptly ended the chant was.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This isn’t crazy to call it typical home court advantage in terms of yeah this happens a lot. People saying it evened out last night are insane or that’s just what makes them feel good. Houston would be undefeated if they could take that “evened out” officiating on the road.

What they were allowed to do on moving screens alone made the officiating pretty horrible.
If Rob got that same treatment in the street, some people would have probably been arrested. Dude was physically assaulted time after time.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
Shead and Cryer are a helluva duo.
Cryer is a bum. Can't hit the broad side of the barn on wide open 3s his teammates create for him. Always thought he got more credit than he was due for cherry-picking behind the 3 pt line

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I could be wrong. But it sounded to me like the rest of the student section rightly killed that chant pretty quickly right as it was beginning to really get rolling.

Either way, the chant was 100% a very mid-major move by a fanbase who is not used to having worthy opponents that are being spoken highly of in the lead up to a home game... even in the context of still being decidedly favored. It was cringe on their part.

I would be embarrassed, and perhaps I'm going out on a limb here, but I think many of their own fans were embarrassed by it too, and they correctly put a stop to it. That's kind of what I gleaned from how short lived and abruptly ended the chant was.

Every student section has a contingent that don't really know ball. It happens.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If Rob got that same treatment in the street, some people would have probably been arrested. Dude was physically assaulted time after time.

The training staff was working on Rob between fts and he didn’t even come out of the game. I think our guys will be crazy motivated for KC rematch but not sure I want the injury risk.

Reactions: BCClone

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
More

More like Shead and Sharp. Cryer doesn’t impress me and we’ve held him in check both times. Shead and Sharp might be the best guard combo in the country
Agreed! All of Sharp's misses were halfway down, Shead is the best pg in the country and its not close

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
What gets lost in this is if we don't win out.... tonight might not have mattered anyways. We have by undeniably the easier schedule, but this is still the Big 12, and we will playing exclusively a collection of Big 12 teams with either A) nothing to lose or B) everything on the line. I don't need to remind you all as ISU fans we've seen many of our best teams throughout the years stumble over less. Even only going 3-2 here is far from a given.

There's a decent chance Houston loses one, but they might not, and I highly doubt they lose two. We have plenty of work to do and we CAN'T afford to get hung up on this one... even if we had won...but especially with a loss.

• Winner

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Kansas is built like your typical top Big 10 teams most years. They have a big dominant center that can't/won't guard or move well, with a good cast around him. Seth still believes the Big 10 plodder model is good basketball, even though it hasn't been competitive in the tournament for over a decade.

He might as well try saying "Back in my day, Kansas would have been the most complete team." True...perhaps. But that model is no longer competitive and looks a lot like grandpa Seth's Crown Victoria going down the road. It ain't too pretty anymore, and the others are going to pass it by.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kansas is built like your typical top Big 10 teams most years. They have a big dominant center that can't/won't guard or move well, with a good cast around him. Seth still believes the Big 10 plodder model is good basketball, even though it hasn't been competitive in the tournament for over a decade.

He might as well try saying "Back in my day, Kansas would have been the most complete team." True...perhaps. But that model is no longer competitive and looks a lot like grandpa Seth's Crown Victoria going down the road. It ain't too pretty anymore, and the others are going to pass it by.

Their big plodder can shoot…so they have to score lights out every game against good teams to make up for the defensive liability.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan