DC Extended Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Anyone see Black Adam yet? If so, thoughts? I find this movie interesting so far as its critic Rotten Tomatoes score has fallen all the way down to 45%, which is not good. However, I was curious to see what the fan scores would be, and so far, they are holding strong at a pretty darn good 88%. Therefore, this could be one of those movies where the fans and critics have quite a wide gap on. Venom was one of those movies too where it was 30% critic and 80% audience. This is why I'd love to hear somebody's opinion on here of the movie. I have tickets bought, but not until Tuesday.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
I went and saw Black Adam on Sunday with my 14 year old. It was a 6/7 out of 10. For reference I gave the Eternals a 5 and Spiderman No way home a 10.

Like a typical DC movie there is lots and lots of action. Story takes a backseat but is ok when they get back to telling it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I went and saw Black Adam on Sunday with my 14 year old. It was a 6/7 out of 10. For reference I gave the Eternals a 5 and Spiderman No way home a 10.

Like a typical DC movie there is lots and lots of action. Story takes a backseat but is ok when they get back to telling it.

I am seeing it tonight. Been hearing a lot of it that it isn't a very well written or made movie, but it is quite a bit of fun. Heard a lot of comparing it to Venom in that sense. Is that off base?

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I am seeing it tonight. Been hearing a lot of it that it isn't a very well written or made movie, but it is quite a bit of fun. Heard a lot of comparing it to Venom in that sense. Is that off base?
I think that is exactly how my 18yo son described it. Entertaining action even if the story wasn't the best.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

My 10 year old saw it yesterday and compared it to Shazam. He had forgotten he even watched Shazam with us. Kind of in and out of his mind honestly. Yeah just kind of said it was fun but then moved on immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019

Yeah thats pretty accurate. We are kind of picky about movies we see in the theater and that may play a part. We dont go unless we have a pretty good idea we will like it. We are already biased walking in.

Your comparison is a good one.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I'm still mulling my thoughts on this choice. I'm not against it, but trying to mull how much I am for it. Regardless, this is big news as to the future of DC. I'm just glad they finally have their own studio. That took wwwaaaaaayyyyy too long.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoilery Review) So, I finally saw Black Adam last night and all these reviews and talking in the media about the movie is definitely making a lot more sense now. Overall, this movie is a lot of things, both good and bad, but through all of it, this movie is at least a ton of fun.
  1. I believe the writing has gotten a bad wrap for this movie, as I found the overall story to be fairly good, even if it didn't flesh out some characters as much as I would have maybe liked
  2. The directing, execution, editing, dialogue at times, and acting of certain characters to me was much worse than the overall story
  3. Some of the dialogue is quite good, fun, and pretty hilarious at times
  4. At least the director can direct action, because the action is top-notch and a ton of fun in this movie. While there is a lot of action, which can get tiring in some movies, it avoids that fatigue by giving you different reasoning, motives and settings for being there with every new action set.
  5. While some of the actors and acting was quite bad at times (mostly from the mother-son combo), many of the characters and acting was quite good. The Rock is great in the movie, Hawkman is fun, Atom Smasher and Cyclone are serve their purpose well, and Doctor Fate is magnificent. Piece Brosman as Fate is the highlight of the movie for me. Whenever he talked in the movie, he commands your attention and oozes charisma.
  6. There is more heart-felt moments which hit for me than I expected in this movie
  7. The cinematography and visuals are very Snyderesque, but with a bit more light, which is exactly what I wanted to see
  8. Seeing the Justice Society finally pop into the DCEU is pretty cool, even if I don't like Hawk-Man's helmet
  9. The final battle falls too much into the CGI orgy with mindless canon fodder category for my liking, but it was okay
  10. The post-credit scene does not disappoint, and there was lots of hooting and hollering in our theater when it came about, not only from me
In the end, I now totally get why this movie is showing one of the biggest divides we've ever seen for a comic-book movie between critics and fans. Is the movie the greatest-made movie ever? Absolutely not, as there is flaws and ridiculousness to be found throughout. However, was this movie a ton of fun and a good time at the movie theater? Most definitely, at least for me, which leads me to encourage everyone to try and see this movie on the big screen. The spectacle of this thing really warrants it, as it would definitely lose some of its fun and charm by simply watching at home. The closest comparisons I'd say for this movie is definitely Venom or Aquaman, and I see it having an equivalently high re-watchability factor. Many times my favorite movies aren't necessarily the movies that are my favorite to re-watch.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I'm glad to see this move. It could have been even better if we learned Berlanti had also been dropped as showrunner. I'm also still confused as to whether this series will eventually be under the purview of Gunn and Safran. I hope it does and I hope it ties into the greater DCEU picture rather than be a side-series in its own universe. I've been waiting for years to see more from what little we've of the DCEU's Green Lanterns.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
After being in what has seemed like hibernation for months now, the DC news cycle has really started popping here lately. Once Gunn and Safran take their positions, my guess is things won't slow down either.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Not shocked. I never watched the show, but just another step of clearing out all the old CW DC content stuff gets all navigated over to the new DC Studios. A lot of this is very reminiscent of what we saw with the death of Marvel TV as it navigated all over to Feige and Marvel Studios. It will be interesting to see if Titans and Doom Patrol are next on the chopping block.