DC Extended Universe

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
io9 had a brief snippit in their Morning Spoilers section today that Margot Robie will also be a producer on the Harley Quinn stand-alone movie.

That doesn't really mean much, nor does it really ensure that the movie is ever made. It's similar to Ryan Reynolds involvement in Deadpool - he was a producer on the film for years before it even made it to the production phase. All this announcement really does is give Margot Robie more financial incentive to pursue a stand-alone movie and also more creative control to shape the character.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Getting pretty darn close to Nite Owl.
020209-portraits02-big.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
io9 had a brief snippit in their Morning Spoilers section today that Margot Robie will also be a producer on the Harley Quinn stand-alone movie.

That doesn't really mean much, nor does it really ensure that the movie is ever made. It's similar to Ryan Reynolds involvement in Deadpool - he was a producer on the film for years before it even made it to the production phase. All this announcement really does is give Margot Robie more financial incentive to pursue a stand-alone movie and also more creative control to shape the character.

Personally, I'm not too crazy about the idea of a stand-alone Harley Quinn movie. Did I like her character in Suicide Squad? Sure. Does Margot Robbie do a good job in the role? Yes. Would I be okay seeing her in another DCEU film? Absolutely. Would I be okay with her in more of the feature role in an ensemble Birds of Prey movie? Eh,I guess. Do I want to watch a solo Harley Quinn movie? Not really. All said and done, there are just too many other great characters in the DCEU that I'd much rather explore first before we waste too much time on just a pretty good character from a not so great movie.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Personally, I'm not too crazy about the idea of a stand-alone Harley Quinn movie. Did I like her character in Suicide Squad? Sure. Does Margot Robbie do a good job in the role? Yes. Would I be okay seeing her in another DCEU film? Absolutely. Would I be okay with her in more of the feature role in an ensemble Birds of Prey movie? Eh,I guess. Do I want to watch a solo Harley Quinn movie? Not really. All said and done, there are just too many other great characters in the DCEU that I'd much rather explore first before we waste too much time on just a pretty good character from a not so great movie.
I agree, however I think it could be great if they incorporate the death of Robin as the main storyline to end the movie and Batman punching Jokers teeth out. She could play a conflicted role but I think that happened before she met Joker.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I know a Man of Steel sequel has been rumored for a little while now, but nothing has been particularly confirmed on it until now:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/super...-priority-by-henry-cavills-management-a145211

Essentially, Henry Cavill's manager said something he probably shouldn't have said. Not to add insult to injury, but if there was a contest between DC and Marvel on how well they handle their new movie announcements, Marvel has been running laps around DC. Shoot, that pretty much goes for any marketing announcements in general. I'm sure WB's pride probably makes them want to do everything different than Disney's Marvel, but man, Disney actually knows what they are doing, pretty much at all times. They are one well-oiled machine by now.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I know a Man of Steel sequel has been rumored for a little while now, but nothing has been particularly confirmed on it until now:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/super...-priority-by-henry-cavills-management-a145211

Essentially, Henry Cavill's manager said something he probably shouldn't have said. Not to add insult to injury, but if there was a contest between DC and Marvel on how well they handle their new movie announcements, Marvel has been running laps around DC. Shoot, that pretty much goes for any marketing announcements in general. I'm sure WB's pride probably makes them want to do everything different than Disney's Marvel, but man, Disney actually knows what they are doing, pretty much at all times. They are one well-oiled machine by now.

This is just beyond frustrating. Why even "kill off" Superman at the end of BvS? I think we all knew that a Man of Steel sequel was on it's way, but to announce one now and to also announce that Superman will appear in Justice League takes away from the events in BvS. It's like nothing in BvS even matters to the overall story arch. The Superman reveal in JLA will not surprise anyone now, nor will it really have any gravitas for the overall plot.

I think this is going to be a similar problem that Wonder Woman may face. Yes, we will get an origin movie (that I think looks great) but how does that shape the narrative of the DCEU? We haven't really seen any footage of the present day, so why do we need to care about who Diana Prince is if it isn't propelling the modern-day plot forward? I think that is why Marvel has been keen to not pursue a Black Widow stand-alone movie: What does an origin story of that character really do for the MCU?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This is just beyond frustrating. Why even "kill off" Superman at the end of BvS? Yes, I think we all knew that a Man of Steel sequel was on it's way, but to announce one now and to also announce that Superman will appear in Justice League takes away from the events in BvS. It's like nothing in BvS even matters to the overall story arch. The Superman reveal in JLA will not surprise anyone now, nor will it really have any gravitas for the overall plot.

I think this is going to be a similar problem that Wonder Woman may face. Yes, we will get an origin movie (that I think looks great) but how does that shape the narrative of the DCEU? We haven't really seen any footage of the present day, so why do we need to care about who Diana Prince is if it isn't propelling the modern-day plot forward? I think that is why Marvel has been keen to not pursue a Black Widow stand-alone movie: What does an origin story of that character really do for the MCU?

I hear yah. I'm just not really in that camp, as I don't think movies in these new universes always have to be there to push the main narrative forward. That isn't to say that I don't think most should. These are big worlds and not everything has to tie in together, which is a lot more real-life than when it does. Also, just because it doesn't push the main narrative forward doesn't mean it isn't helping to successfully develop a character more, which is also important and is something the DCEU lacks big time. In fact, I actually find it refreshing to see a side story happen in the universe which might show a few easter eggs, but isn't tied to having to fit a mold. A good example of this would be Ant-Man. While that movie was pretty much a complete side-story, it did give us a new likable character that can be plugged and played wherever now, just like he was in Civil War. It was also kind of a breath of fresh air from Age of Ultron where Whedon tried/forced to do TOO much world-building and setting up future movies, that it came at the cost of producing a great story in itself. He even admits to this and is also the main reason why he is now taking a break from making any new Marvel movies. In fact, he even said the only reason he'd come back would be to make more of a stand-alone movie like a Black Widow movie where he has less to worry about along those ends.

On the Wonder Woman comment you made, don't be so sure it won't be tied in strongly to the current narrative, or at least eventually will be. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. The First Avenger would be the perfect example where it was an old origin story of the character, but it actually tied in VERY strongly to the ongoing narrative that influenced many future movies.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Full Disclosure: NOT DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE RELATED

Sorry for not being related to the DC Extended Universe, but this also can be a good forum to talk DC TV stuff too. As is pretty obvious by me creating and posting in these comic book movie forums, I'm a pretty big Superhero nerd, especially in all things TV or movie related to them. With that said, I've done a pretty good job gobbling up pretty much every superhero related TV show over the past 5 years or so, with pretty much one exception: Gotham. Why I've avoided it? I don't know, but I'd say it is mostly due to the fact that it is stand-alone and NOT tied to any of the current TV or TV/Movie shared universes, and I've heard pretty meh reviews out of it for the most part. Oh yeah, probably is somewhat due to the fact that it is going for the young Bruce Wayne/pre Batman thing, which doesn't really interest me too. Don't give me young Bruce Wayne, give me Batman. Same reason I probably didn't watch Smallville. However, with 2 full seasons now available on Netflix, I'm slightly considering throwing it into my mix to watch sooner or later. Is that a bad decision? Has anybody even watched Gotham at all? Would love to hear people's thoughts or advice.

Last edited:

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I've watched Gotham and think it's a decent show. It's not appointment television for me, so I've missed some episodes. I think most of the actors are really good so it's enjoyable. Penguin and Selina Kyle are cast very well. I'll probably get caught up on Netflix sometime. I think the show is shot really well too - really gritty and dark.

• Informative

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've watched Gotham and think it's a decent show. It's not appointment television for me, so I've missed some episodes. I think most of the actors are really good so it's enjoyable. Penguin and Selina Kyle are cast very well. I'll probably get caught up on Netflix sometime. I think the show is shot really well too - really gritty and dark.

Thanks for the advice

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I agree with this. Good show and I enjoyed watching it but not my favorite. If you are looking for something to watch though I would recommend. Not quite on the level of the Netflix Marvel stuff but it's good. Also, a lot different than other comic shows as there isn't a super hero and it's a lot of origin story type stuff.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I agree with this. Good show and I enjoyed watching it but not my favorite. If you are looking for something to watch though I would recommend. Not quite on the level of the Netflix Marvel stuff but it's good. Also, a lot different than other comic shows as there isn't a super hero and it's a lot of origin story type stuff.

Good to know. My guess is I'll eventually run low on stuff where I'll pick it up, but probably will still be a while. The following is my current docket of shows ahead of it:

1. Luke Cage (TOMORROW BABY!!!)
2. Flash (Season 2)
3. Arrow (Season 4)
4. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
5. Supergirl (Season 1)
6. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Currently in the middle of Season 3)

As you can see, I'll be pretty busy for the next few months. Can't wait. And maybe the best part, no Agent May in sight!!!

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Well, apparently like its predecessor Batman vs Superman with its extended Ultimate Cut, Suicide Squad will also be offering an extended cut when it comes out on blu ray in December.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suic...getting-an-extended-cut-check-out-the-a145707

What I find interesting is that I swear David Ayer said that there wouldn't be an extended cut for this movie at one point in time. So, maybe this was his decision, or maybe it was Warner Bros as an attempt to either improve the movie or simply another cash grab, or both. Regardless, its likely a lot of the extension will be the inclusion of more of the rumored Joker and Harley Quinn stuff (some of it seen in previous trailers). In the end, beings how one of my biggest knocks on the movie was its absolutely horrible editing, I'm holding out hope this will end up making for a slightly better movie.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Well, apparently like its predecessor Batman vs Superman with its extended Ultimate Cut, Suicide Squad will also be offering an extended cut when it comes out on blu ray in December.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suic...getting-an-extended-cut-check-out-the-a145707

What I find interesting is that I swear David Ayer said that there wouldn't be an extended cut for this movie at one point in time. So, maybe this was his decision, or maybe it was Warner Bros as an attempt to either improve the movie or simply another cash grab, or both. Regardless, its likely a lot of the extension will be the inclusion of more of the rumored Joker and Harley Quinn stuff (some of it seen in previous trailers). In the end, beings how one of my biggest knocks on the movie was its absolutely horrible editing, I'm holding out hope this will end up making for a slightly better movie.

You are correct, David Ayer said that there would not be an extended or Director's Cut, mostly due to the fact that the reshoots and final edits were done by that company that oversaw the trailer, so there isn't a final cut of Ayer's original film. This sounds like a marketing move by Warner Bros. most likely to add more content that was shot like scenes with Joker and Harley Quinn, similar to what they added in BvS. I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing this with all of the DCEU. 20th Century FOX did the same thing with "The Wolverine" where the extended edition was included if you purchased the 3D version of the Blu-Ray, and they also released a Days of Future Past extended edition that featured scenes with Rogue.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
You are correct, David Ayer said that there would not be an extended or Director's Cut, mostly due to the fact that the reshoots and final edits were done by that company that oversaw the trailer, so there isn't a final cut of Ayer's original film. This sounds like a marketing move by Warner Bros. most likely to add more content that was shot like scenes with Joker and Harley Quinn, similar to what they added in BvS. I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing this with all of the DCEU. 20th Century FOX did the same thing with "The Wolverine" where the extended edition was included if you purchased the 3D version of the Blu-Ray, and they also released a Days of Future Past extended edition that featured scenes with Rogue.

Kind of annoying since it is obviously a money grab, but I guess I'm okay as long as there is improvement.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Here is the cover:

suicide-squad-blu-ray-box-art.jpg

Also, it has been released that the Extended Cut will feature 13 minutes more of footage. Overall comparatively speaking, 13 minutes is a fair amount of additional time. Not a lot, not a little. However, it pales in comparison to the extra 30 minutes we got for Batman v Superman.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron