DaVinci's Pizza ?????

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Last Summer my family and I were up in Ames checking out the sites and I thought I would take them to the best Pizza place in Iowa......DaVinci's Pizza. We pulled into the parking lot and what do I see???????????? A fricking Chinese JOINT?????? All I could say was WTF(to which my wife chewed me out for swearing in front of the three kids 7 and under). At first I thought, OK they upgraded and moved to a new location so I went in and asked. That awesome aroma of the building was replaced by vinegar and chopped dog, cat, carp, foodscraps, you name it and the guy I talked to said it CLOSED. I know sales probably went down after I graduated, but this is a true crime. I know I was there not even a year ago and it was busy then..........

Anyway, all this talk on the Chicago Cubs thread and the awesome Pizza joints over there gave me an idea. Does anyone know where the nearest DaVinci's Pizza is from Des Moines???? I know there signs said they originated in Omaha or Lincoln and I need to have some of that awesome pizza and SOON!!!!!

Thank you for anybody that can help me with my FIX........:wink0st:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Lincoln only

The only place you'll find DaVinci's is in Lincoln, Neb.

The one in Ames shut down right around Christmas 2004 without warning. When I was in Shreveport for Indy Bowl II, I got an e-mail from them thanking their customers for the loyalty and business (yada yada yada), but that they were closing effective immediately.

Damn, just talking about it makes me crave one of their cheese-steak hoagies.

http://www.davincis.com

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Huskerville

Yeah, you have to visit the land of the Huskers to grab up some DaVincis pizza.

http://www.davincis.com/restaurant/index.html

The owner of the Ames store said they were going to try and open a new location. But, so far, nothing. They didn't own that building and whoever does (probably Randall corp) jacked the lease price on them. so, they closed.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I gotta admit, their pizza was pretty good. I'm a huge Great Plains fan, but DaVinci's was easily second best with me and always good for a change. Their cheesesteaks were some of the best I've had. Getting those things delivered was awesome.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I have never had pizza that even comes close to DaVinci's since I found that awesome joint during my college days. Hopefully they will reopen someday in the Ames area. It would be great to go there, eat and have a few brews after using my season tickets on the FB and BB games beginning this Fall. I didn't think they would have shut down from lack of business, so it figures some landlord got greedy......:mad:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I worked there for 2 years 99-2001. I got all my fatness from eating meals there all the time. I was a huge fan of the chicken cheesesteaks with mushrooms, pepperoni, onions, american-swiss and a small amount of cream cheese. MMMMMM Yeah i saw that they closed. Sucks to be ISU students now.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Was DaVincis the place right in between Kum and Go and Big Shots/Deans List/whatever its called now(Chasers?) :nerd6bs:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yes it was right there. It really sucked when they lost their lisence to sell beer. It really hit the spot with their food.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Yeah, you have to visit the land of the Huskers to grab up some DaVincis pizza.

http://www.davincis.com/restaurant/index.html

The owner of the Ames store said they were going to try and open a new location. But, so far, nothing. They didn't own that building and whoever does (probably Randall corp) jacked the lease price on them. so, they closed.

Thanks for the link. I just went to the website and sent in a comment hoping they would reopen a store in Ames or Des Moines area. I also put that I posted comments on Cyclone Fanatic website and found I was not the only person who felt that way. Maybe they will start looking again......HOPE HOPE HOPE:rolleyes:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Someone mentioned Great Plains. That pizza was amazing. 2 pieces are you are full...and hopefully you are lactose intolerant because there was 17 pounds of cheese on each slice.

Since I graduated in the summer of 2004, the landscape has really changed, food-wise. They have an Old Chicago now (why the hell can't Des Moines get one?), pancheros (which would be amazing drunk, post-bar food...I was always stuck with a Gyro or Jimmy Johns), and many places have closed.

La Fuente also ranks high on the list for me.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Was DaVincis the place right in between Kum and Go and Big Shots/Deans List/whatever its called now(Chasers?) :nerd6bs:

I don't know how that building cannot keep a bar in it...maybe its cursed. It was called Reign last year and then went out of business again. Don't know if it's anything right now.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
La Fuente is the best Mexican in Ames, by far. Where is Pancheros? I heard there actually is an Old Chicago opening in Des Moines, at Merle Hay Mall this winter.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't know if it's open yet but it will be on Welch.

If that Old Chicago news is true, World Beer Tour here I come!

excytin

Apr 11, 2006
DaVinci's is no longer in Ames or in Omaha. I think there is only ONE location still open in Lincoln, NE where they were based.

That was THE best pizza. Can't believe they closed it.

excytin

Apr 11, 2006
No, Panchero's won't be on Welch. There is a new little strip mall next to Best Buy on Duff and it is going in there, along with Cold Stone and another Jimmy John's.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
They had a pancheros on welch a long time ago but they close and it is now Mickeys bar if i remember right.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron