Dave O'Brien: Hilton louder than any ACC venue

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Maybe it depends where you are sitting, but I didn't really think the KU game was that loud last year. I'm pretty sure Allen Fieldhouse gets up to 120+dB. The Sacramento Kings almost got to 130dB.

I have the same thoughts on the OK St. game in 2011.

Sorry for my blasphemy.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Maybe it depends where you are sitting, but I didn't really think the KU game was that loud last year. I'm pretty sure Allen Fieldhouse gets up to 120+dB. The Sacramento Kings almost got to 130dB.

Sorry for my blasphemy.
I think the thing with Hilton is not so much how loud it is (at some point it really doesn't change anything), but the contrast of how loud and how quiet it can get.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I have a Sound Meter free app on my phone. Next time I go to a game, I'll have to fire it up.
It would be nice if several people did this from various parts of the hilton to see where the sound is the loudest.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Sorry for my blasphemy.
I still find it difficult to believe that the Kings are the noisiest with only one real player on their squad.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I still find it difficult to believe that the Kings are the noisiest with only one real player on their squad.

I think it's more because they had Guiness people there and were actually trying. It wasn't natural noise like in Hilton, it was a bunch of people screaming as loud as they could for the sole purpose of breaking a record, not to cheer on the team.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think it's more because they had Guiness people there and were actually trying. It wasn't natural noise like in Hilton, it was a bunch of people screaming as loud as they could for the sole purpose of breaking a record, not to cheer on the team.

This exactly. They should have to have Guiness in house secretly our something or it doesn't really mean much.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Can't believe this video hasn't come up yet. I'm not sure it's been louder in Hilton outside of rock shows.

[video=youtube;C_W4LviqhYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_W4LviqhYM[/video]

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
With as much time as I spend in Hilton and at Arrowhead Stadium, I'm surprised I'm not deaf yet. I do have a constant ringing in my ears though, hmmm...

dvmted

Mar 31, 2006
NW iowa
Okie State back in the day……..

That one gets my vote. Leading free throw shooter in the nation missed 2 near the end (Darwin Alexander I believe). Thigpen was on fire. The players said the floor was moving. That's the only time my ears hurt, of course I'm old & deaf now.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
With as much time as I spend in Hilton and at Arrowhead Stadium, I'm surprised I'm not deaf yet. I do have a constant ringing in my ears though, hmmm...

Hilton and Arrowhead are the same kind of loud for me. When you are there, it's so loud that you don't realize how loud it is.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I was there and it was incredibly loud during those free throws. The Virginia game that season was also very loud, but I have never heard it as loud as it was during those free throws.

took my kentucky fan friend who is from kentucky to that virginia game, he made fun of us all the time for thinking we had a homecourt advantage like the big boys. He left that game saying it was the loudest he'd ever heard any crowd and he's been to UK UNC Duke ect ect.