DATE CHANGES FOR TWO 2010 IOWA STATE FOOTBALL GAMES

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I heard last year that the KSU games (last year and this year) were moved from the last week of the season to accomodate having the games at Arrowhead. That ate up our open date during the season.

Anybody else hear that?

Yes, that is correct. The K-State game last year was originially scheduled for the last week of the regular Season, but was moved up to our Open Date before the Big 12 Season was suppose to start.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Maybe the Sep. 18th game in Arrowhead will be more interesting to TV networks before conference play starts around the nation.

Does this help attendance in KC? It's early enough in the season and with an away game the week before it might convince some more people to head down. The game in KC was a blast until about 5 seconds left.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Bummer, I was hoping to get down there again this year, no possible way now.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
That helps break it up.

A win against a KSU team early is momentum.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yes, that is correct. The K-State game last year was originially scheduled for the last week of the regular Season, but was moved up to our Open Date before the Big 12 Season was suppose to start.

I know that "rumor" has floated around here, but it isn't true. The schedule dates were never changed. When the rumors started that we might be playing in Arrowhead, the Kansas City Star reported that the game could be moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving because both teams had open dates.

I'd pull up the article but you have to be a subscriber to see archives.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I dont like this. Why do we need to bend over to help other teams. Would the do the same for us? Kinda a bad deal if you already have plans.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I dont like this. Why do we need to bend over to help other teams. Would the do the same for us? Kinda a bad deal if you already have plans.

I doubt they would, which is why i ask if we're getting any kind of benefit, monetarily or otherwise from this one.

Also, playing Utah on a thursday probably makes it a lot harder for anyone who mightve thought about goin out there for that game. (im assuming it was a saturday before)

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I believe our Offense is similar to Utah so our defense should be well prepared. It will be an exciting year, but that is a tough schedule. I guess I would rather play a tougher schedule than pull a KSU and not even get to a bowl game like last year. So I get playing a tough schedule. What I don't get is why we don't get a bye week.

KLoISU02

Jun 2, 2006
SE IA
I doubt they would, which is why i ask if we're getting any kind of benefit, monetarily or otherwise from this one.

Also, playing Utah on a thursday probably makes it a lot harder for anyone who mightve thought about goin out there for that game. (im assuming it was a saturday before)
Maybe I am misreading/misinterpreting what you are saying, but the Utah game is a Saturday now...October 9, 2010. If I misread, disregard!:biggrin:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Maybe I am misreading/misinterpreting what you are saying, but the Utah game is a Saturday now...October 9, 2010. If I misread, disregard!:biggrin:

School officials also announced that Iowa State will open its 2011 season on Thursday (Sept. 1) in Salt Lake City against Utah.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Not liking that opening game for 2011. Always loved the Thursday night games at JTS.

I think you are in the minority. I for one hate the Thursday game and I have heard most fans agree. Get rid of it. Maybe I'm wrong. Someone should start a poll. I'm too lazy.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

That's correct, for 2010. Along with our switcharoo Utah is now opening the season with us the following year in Salt Lake City on a thursday.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
The "No bye week": We actually have a bye week, it just happens to be the last week of the regular season. This rotates through the Big 12, it is ISU's turn for 2009 and 2010.

I know this was posted sometime during the last season when someone asked about it.

jtwilson

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I think you are in the minority. I for one hate the Thursday game and I have heard most fans agree. Get rid of it. Maybe I'm wrong. Someone should start a poll. I'm too lazy.

Disagree with you... I loved the Thursday night game, and I would be willing to bet that at least the students loved it too...

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Playing Utah a little later in the year looks benficial to me for the clones as the offense should start to be hitting its stride there, and the new defenders should be aclimated to the system by then.