Dash Camera buying guide/selection

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I run a Rexing V1; it's not on their list but I see a lot of brands and models I've never heard of on that list also. There are some comments at the bottom of that article talking about issues in extreme heat and cold, and I can say that the Rexing has never had an issue sitting in a black/black car in the Iowa heat and humidity and it has survived two winters now with negative temps. It has a 4.3 star rating on Amazon right now also.

Here are a couple of vids from my dash cam. The upload to Youtube reduces the resolution a bit; it is a much clearer picture when running it directly on my laptop. Both of them have near misses, keep an eye out for them. ;)

Daytime:

Night time:

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Not a critique at all, I'm just curious as to why someone would want use a dash cam?

I can't think of a reason why I'd ever want one, but I'm sure there are good reasons.

I do remember reading an article that a lot of people in Russia have them to protect themselves against corrupt police, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue here.

• Optimistic
  • Disagree
Reactions: kbud and keepngoal

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We have them. And put them in place for protection in any accident, and against any strange interactions with LEOs. Basically insurance.

We have the Cobra one that Costco sells. Not sure of model number and don’t wanna take it down from windshield. But happy with it.

I have taken a look at the footage, and then realized it captured audio! Good wide angle lens, HD video.

Having proof versus opinion or “mis-remembered” facts, seems like a no brained.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Not a critique at all, I'm just curious as to why someone would want use a dash cam?

I can't think of a reason why I'd ever want one, but I'm sure there are good reasons.

I do remember reading an article that a lot of people in Russia have them to protect themselves against corrupt police, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue here.

A lot of haulers use them because it can cut down on insurance costs. I’m not sure if that applies to regular auto insurance though.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

Could come in pretty handy if you get in an accident and there is a question of who is liable.

If you get pulled over, it's recording audio in case anything goes sideways with the interaction with police.

Also if you get pulled over for an infraction like running a stop sign or a red light, the dash cam may give you the opportunity to fight the ticket if you didn't actually commit a violation.

Many scenarios where it could be good, cover your ass, cheap insurance. It's not too expensive, quick and easy to install, and barely noticeable. Mine just sits up at the top of the windshield and does it's thing. I have it wired to an accessory fuse so it automatically starts recording when I unlock the car, and that fuse automatically de-energizes about 30 minutes after I exit the car. It continues to record in a loop, and I just pull the mini SD card out whenever I want to download video.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I was given a Viofo A119 as a gift. Works great and records pretty high quality video.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I run a Rexing V1; it's not on their list but I see a lot of brands and models I've never heard of on that list also. There are some comments at the bottom of that article talking about issues in extreme heat and cold, and I can say that the Rexing has never had an issue sitting in a black/black car in the Iowa heat and humidity and it has survived two winters now with negative temps. It has a 4.3 star rating on Amazon right now also.

Here are a couple of vids from my dash cam. The upload to Youtube reduces the resolution a bit; it is a much clearer picture when running it directly on my laptop. Both of them have near misses, keep an eye out for them. ;)

Daytime:

Night time:

Have the same model - it's worked well for me.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have the Yi Dashcam. Under $50 and I've never had to take my SD card out because of an accident or whatever.

Was hoping I could at least get a funny moment to share

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

How well can you make out license plates?
Well enough to ID someone in a hit and run situation?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
How well can you make out license plates?
Well enough to ID someone in a hit and run situation?
Nearly any cam is shooting 1080P nowadays and you can easily make out license plates if it's within the shot. Only situations I could see is if it's on the edge of view and a considerable distance from the car.

• Informative
Reactions: DSMCy

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

This is why:

" I was on my way home from school. I cross the intersection and see the van coming but I thought she was going to make a right turn. As soon as she crossed the white line I realize she's not going to stop. I brake and turn trying to avoid her and instinctively honk my horn. The next thing I remember was turning and seeing her car slide into the median divider. Withing 20 sec the police arrive and talk to her. I make my way to the van where the police are. The officer ask " can you tell me what happened ?she says she had a green light and they you ran it." I pulled the officer to the side and told him I had the crash on video to see if the lady would keep lying. As soon as I showed him the video he started writing her tickets. "

There are thousands of these videos on YouTube. People suck and many will lie to avoid responsibility, or just flat out take off. One tiny fender bender that you're on the hook for when it wasn't your fault and you could have bought 10 dashcams.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don't know what happened to my post but here it is. Just added a camera. The install wasn't as bad as I thought.

Reactions: BoxsterCy