Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Salt City Hoops' paragraph on Georges in their season-end summary of key contributors:

Georges Niang: 1.4 defensive win shares
It was tempting to highlight Niang’s career high 4.1 three-point attempts on a career high .425 percent accuracy, but he’s always been a solid shooter. Niang’s biggest growth has been on the defensive end, where he’s moved from an immediate target to a respectable defender. While defensive numbers are murky, his 1.4 defensive win shares is a career best. Look up Niang on most advanced stats and he fairs pretty well. The eye-test backs up the numbers. Niang is a clearly improved defender, both with his timing and positioning. The minivan may not be the most athletic player, but his IQ and size keep him on the floor. He’s been a fantastic 9th man, and may once more have opportunity for important playoff contribution.

Link: https://saltcityhoops.com/defining-stats-from-a-historic-jazz-season/

Georges has had a lot of "ink" used on his D this year.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This debuted today - All access with Georges on a game day. He shows up driving something better than a minivan and rocking ISU apparel. Fun to watch their early shootaround - they call it "breakfast club" - and hear guys like Quin Snyder and Donovan Mitchell comment. Plenty of Georges mugging for the camera but also speaking seriously about how he persisted. A fun 9 minutes.

That lilac/purple car that their guard is driving is kind of sharp/fun.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Cyclones in the playoffs, opening games this weekend (times are CENTRAL):

Saturday:
Portland v Denver, 9:30 PM ESPN

Sunday:
LA Lakers v Phoenix, 2:30 PM ABC

winner Golden State / Memphis v Utah, 8:30 PM TNT

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
In Game 1 vs the Grizzles, Georges played 16 mins and scored 7 pts off the bench. Unfoturnately he didn't shoot well (2-7, 1-6 from 3) when he was open. It further validates the key stat that if he makes 3 or more 3-pointers the Jazz will most likely win the game. He did have 2 nice assists that drew praises from the TNT broadcasting crew and he was a team-tying high +11. Here's Georges' full highlight.

At the end of the 3rd Q, Desmond Bane of TCU drained a 3-pointer with Georges guarding him and talked trash to him, which resulted in Georges getting a tech (IMO totally unnecessary for NBA refs). I hope Georges can get back to him in Game 2.

THT didn't play much in Game 1 vs the Suns (2 pts in 7 mins). Here's his short highlight.

Good luck to all the Cyclone players on getting wins in their Game 2s.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges with a 3 and 2 FTs Q1 so far tonight vs. Memphis. I'm sure it felt good to have his first 3 fall (corner shot) after going 1-6 in Game 1.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Georges ended tonight’s Jazz 141-129 victory over the Grizz with 8 points and 1 assist on 2-6 shooting, 2-4 from three. His play was a little inconsistent some bad fouls but the whole jazz team was inconsistent for stretches as they almost blew a 20 point lead. The series is now tied 1-1 headed to Memphis.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think Georges’ +19 was a team high.

I felt ball movement improved while he was in.

Would have liked to see replay of his travel, live it looked bogus by NBA standards. That would have been another three.

Help Support Us

Become a patron