Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Salt City Hoops' paragraph on Georges in their season-end summary of key contributors:

Georges Niang: 1.4 defensive win shares
It was tempting to highlight Niang’s career high 4.1 three-point attempts on a career high .425 percent accuracy, but he’s always been a solid shooter. Niang’s biggest growth has been on the defensive end, where he’s moved from an immediate target to a respectable defender. While defensive numbers are murky, his 1.4 defensive win shares is a career best. Look up Niang on most advanced stats and he fairs pretty well. The eye-test backs up the numbers. Niang is a clearly improved defender, both with his timing and positioning. The minivan may not be the most athletic player, but his IQ and size keep him on the floor. He’s been a fantastic 9th man, and may once more have opportunity for important playoff contribution.

Link: https://saltcityhoops.com/defining-stats-from-a-historic-jazz-season/

Georges has had a lot of "ink" used on his D this year.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This debuted today - All access with Georges on a game day. He shows up driving something better than a minivan and rocking ISU apparel. Fun to watch their early shootaround - they call it "breakfast club" - and hear guys like Quin Snyder and Donovan Mitchell comment. Plenty of Georges mugging for the camera but also speaking seriously about how he persisted. A fun 9 minutes.

That lilac/purple car that their guard is driving is kind of sharp/fun.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Cyclones in the playoffs, opening games this weekend (times are CENTRAL):

Saturday:
Portland v Denver, 9:30 PM ESPN

Sunday:
LA Lakers v Phoenix, 2:30 PM ABC

winner Golden State / Memphis v Utah, 8:30 PM TNT

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
In Game 1 vs the Grizzles, Georges played 16 mins and scored 7 pts off the bench. Unfoturnately he didn't shoot well (2-7, 1-6 from 3) when he was open. It further validates the key stat that if he makes 3 or more 3-pointers the Jazz will most likely win the game. He did have 2 nice assists that drew praises from the TNT broadcasting crew and he was a team-tying high +11. Here's Georges' full highlight.

At the end of the 3rd Q, Desmond Bane of TCU drained a 3-pointer with Georges guarding him and talked trash to him, which resulted in Georges getting a tech (IMO totally unnecessary for NBA refs). I hope Georges can get back to him in Game 2.

THT didn't play much in Game 1 vs the Suns (2 pts in 7 mins). Here's his short highlight.

Good luck to all the Cyclone players on getting wins in their Game 2s.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Georges with a 3 and 2 FTs Q1 so far tonight vs. Memphis. I'm sure it felt good to have his first 3 fall (corner shot) after going 1-6 in Game 1.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Georges ended tonight’s Jazz 141-129 victory over the Grizz with 8 points and 1 assist on 2-6 shooting, 2-4 from three. His play was a little inconsistent some bad fouls but the whole jazz team was inconsistent for stretches as they almost blew a 20 point lead. The series is now tied 1-1 headed to Memphis.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think Georges’ +19 was a team high.

I felt ball movement improved while he was in.

Would have liked to see replay of his travel, live it looked bogus by NBA standards. That would have been another three.