Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Lakers must be thinking this is 2014 Wes Matthews. He's been a shell of himself since the achilles injury but teams keep paying and playing him like back then.
Matthews started for the Bucks last year and was a great 3 and D guy. No idea why he left for the Lakers. They got zero playing time for him.

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
Lakers must be thinking this is 2014 Wes Matthews. He's been a shell of himself since the achilles injury but teams keep paying and playing him like back then.
His defense is solid, but his shooting has really gone down. The lakers aren’t going to win or lose a game because of him. I’d be more interested if I were them to give THT those minutes and see how well he can perform.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
Probably right with this one but it would behoove the Lakers to give Talen those minutes if they think they have something with him.
If other teams are thinking of offering this kid a max contract this summer I’d say they definitely have something. I’m going to bet his minutes will increase as this season goes on, but who knows.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Jazz won their 9th straight, in a comeback win over the Knicks. I watched the first half live and Austin Rivers powered NY in the first half with 10 for 10 shooting including 5-5 from behind the line; he didn't score in the 2nd half (0-4).

Georges continues to give solid minutes to Utah. He hit a 3 in the 1st half, hustled on D and ended with a team-best +4. In the 2nd half, he did more of the same and ended with 13 MIN, 9 PT, 3-6 FG, 3-6 3PT, 1 REB and 2 STL. There are still a lot of series that he's camped out in the corner waiting for a kick-out but that's NBA ball.

Georges was in during the stretch in which the Jazz finally took the lead in the 4th (and Donovan Mitchell was not).

The Jazz have a strong nickname game with terms like the Minivan. But even better is the term they use for their French shot-blocker, Rudy Gobert - The Stifle Tower. Kills me.

Last edited:

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
If other teams are thinking of offering this kid a max contract this summer I’d say they definitely have something. I’m going to bet his minutes will increase as this season goes on, but who knows.

You would think so but like you said, who knows. I figured this part of the season would be great for a guy like Talen. Short offseason for the champs, no training camp, “aging” Lebron, etc. But there is probably a reason I’m sitting in bed watching this game eating flaming hot Cheetos and posting about it on cyclonefanatic.....lol.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I've watched a ton of Laker games so far this year and won't profess to having any idea what their plans are for Talen but Mathews doesn't fit at all.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
The NBA is a little under 1/4 of the way through I was looking through all the stats for former Cyclones to see where they stand. It is so much fun to see all the good talent from the Clones in the NBA. I have always loved the NBA but to the more casual Iowa NBA fan it certainly helps to have some good guys playing good basketball in the league!

Tyrese Haliburton: 11.4 points/3.0 rebounds/ 4.9 assists per game in 28 mins/game. He is shooting 50.4% from the field overall, and 47% on his threes! That is currently 11th in the league right now. He doesn't get to the line much at all but is shooting over 80%. For the rest of the season I want to see him up those rebounding totals and get a little more aggressive going to the hole. I think it can really open up his game even more. He is playing with so much poise you might think he's been in the league for 5 years already. Flat out stud all around basketball player. His minutes will surely go up as the season goes along and I'm guessing his efficiency will as well.

Monte Morris: 11.5 points/2.4 rebounds/3.2 assists per game in 26.9 mins/game. He is shooting 51.7% overall, and 36.2% from deep. His three point shooting was over 40% his second year, down to just under 38% last year, and down even more this year. If he can bump that three up, he could be averaging closer to 14 a game. He probably won't be on the list but he should be included on a sixth player award list. He does such a wonderful job of steadying the ship for Denver's second unit and has been getting good play with the starters at the end of game, so Malone trusts him with the ball (which he should because he is 5th in the NBA in assist/turnover ratio at 5.5. Everyone ahead of him is a SG, btw). Like Haliburton, or Haliburton like him, Monte is just a cool customer. Sees the floor extremely well, and makes so many good value plays when he is in. The stats aren't eye popping for him, but when you watch them play you can just tell.

Georges Niang: 4.8 points/ 2.1 rebounds/0.5 assists per game in 11.5 mins/game. His scoring and minutes are down from last year but that can be attributed to going 0-fer the field in his first 5 games and only scoring 2 total points in his first 7 games! The last 10 games he is averaging 8 points/game, which is good to see. He wasn't hitting shots and thus wasn't taking many shots. He was 0-6 from deep in those first 7 games, but in the 10 games since he is shooting 42.5% which is getting into sniper like territory. Season is just over 36% for reference. It is fun to see him when he is hitting those shots, and he even brings out some old Iowa State Georges in getting to the bucket. The Jazz have to like this from him right now and I'm thinking he will keep it up.

Abdel Nader: 5.5 points/ 2.5 rebounds/1.0 assists per game in 16 mins/game. He had an inactive or DNP his first 10 games, only played in 3 minutes the next game, and then another DNP. I believe most of that was from a concussion. He only has 3 true games of information to go off of. His most recent game he played almost 30 mins so the Suns must be seeing something from him. In those three games he has scored 5,9, and 6. He looks to be a good part of the rotation and curious to see how he starts to round into form.

Matt Thomas: 3.8 points/0.8 rebounds/0.6 assists. First two games he played about 20 minutes each and scored 9 and 8, respectively. Since then he has had a lot of DNP's and/or very little minutes. Has been discussed but seems to be in the doghouse right now for whatever reason. Claims to be a defensive thing but who knows that is really going on in Toronto. They are a far cry from the team with Kawhi that won the championship. My hope is that Nurse snaps out of whatever grudge he has against Matt and plays him or gets traded or something. He has value on the right team with his elite 3pt skis. We shall see what happens with him.

Talen Horton-Tucker: 7.1 points/2.3 rebounds/1.9 assists in 16.0 mins/game. He is shooting only 42.9% from the field overall, and just 27.6% from deep. On the surface those aren't great numbers but that doesn't tell the whole story. I bet he sees those numbers start to jump as the season progresses. What is good to see from him is the 1.6 trips to the line each game in only those 16 minutes. He has a knack for getting to the bucket and slithering his way around defenses. Such an interesting play style with those super long arms and creative bucket getting. The Lakers seem to think they have something with him and I think he starts to see some more minutes and getting some more national attention in the next few months.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The NBA is a little under 1/4 of the way through I was looking through all the stats for former Cyclones to see where they stand. It is so much fun to see all the good talent from the Clones in the NBA. I have always loved the NBA but to the more casual Iowa NBA fan it certainly helps to have some good guys playing good basketball in the league!

Tyrese Haliburton: 11.4 points/3.0 rebounds/ 4.9 assists per game in 28 mins/game. He is shooting 50.4% from the field overall, and 47% on his threes! That is currently 11th in the league right now. He doesn't get to the line much at all but is shooting over 80%. For the rest of the season I want to see him up those rebounding totals and get a little more aggressive going to the hole. I think it can really open up his game even more. He is playing with so much poise you might think he's been in the league for 5 years already. Flat out stud all around basketball player. His minutes will surely go up as the season goes along and I'm guessing his efficiency will as well.

Monte Morris: 11.5 points/2.4 rebounds/3.2 assists per game in 26.9 mins/game. He is shooting 51.7% overall, and 36.2% from deep. His three point shooting was over 40% his second year, down to just under 38% last year, and down even more this year. If he can bump that three up, he could be averaging closer to 14 a game. He probably won't be on the list but he should be included on a sixth player award list. He does such a wonderful job of steadying the ship for Denver's second unit and has been getting good play with the starters at the end of game, so Malone trusts him with the ball (which he should because he is 5th in the NBA in assist/turnover ratio at 5.5. Everyone ahead of him is a SG, btw). Like Haliburton, or Haliburton like him, Monte is just a cool customer. Sees the floor extremely well, and makes so many good value plays when he is in. The stats aren't eye popping for him, but when you watch them play you can just tell.

Georges Niang: 4.8 points/ 2.1 rebounds/0.5 assists per game in 11.5 mins/game. His scoring and minutes are down from last year but that can be attributed to going 0-fer the field in his first 5 games and only scoring 2 total points in his first 7 games! The last 10 games he is averaging 8 points/game, which is good to see. He wasn't hitting shots and thus wasn't taking many shots. He was 0-6 from deep in those first 7 games, but in the 10 games since he is shooting 42.5% which is getting into sniper like territory. Season is just over 36% for reference. It is fun to see him when he is hitting those shots, and he even brings out some old Iowa State Georges in getting to the bucket. The Jazz have to like this from him right now and I'm thinking he will keep it up.

Abdel Nader: 5.5 points/ 2.5 rebounds/1.0 assists per game in 16 mins/game. He had an inactive or DNP his first 10 games, only played in 3 minutes the next game, and then another DNP. I believe most of that was from a concussion. He only has 3 true games of information to go off of. His most recent game he played almost 30 mins so the Suns must be seeing something from him. In those three games he has scored 5,9, and 6. He looks to be a good part of the rotation and curious to see how he starts to round into form.

Matt Thomas: 3.8 points/0.8 rebounds/0.6 assists. First two games he played about 20 minutes each and scored 9 and 8, respectively. Since then he has had a lot of DNP's and/or very little minutes. Has been discussed but seems to be in the doghouse right now for whatever reason. Claims to be a defensive thing but who knows that is really going on in Toronto. They are a far cry from the team with Kawhi that won the championship. My hope is that Nurse snaps out of whatever grudge he has against Matt and plays him or gets traded or something. He has value on the right team with his elite 3pt skis. We shall see what happens with him.

Talen Horton-Tucker: 7.1 points/2.3 rebounds/1.9 assists in 16.0 mins/game. He is shooting only 42.9% from the field overall, and just 27.6% from deep. On the surface those aren't great numbers but that doesn't tell the whole story. I bet he sees those numbers start to jump as the season progresses. What is good to see from him is the 1.6 trips to the line each game in only those 16 minutes. He has a knack for getting to the bucket and slithering his way around defenses. Such an interesting play style with those super long arms and creative bucket getting. The Lakers seem to think they have something with him and I think he starts to see some more minutes and getting some more national attention in the next few months.

That's a great summary. It's encouraging to see Nader get rotation minutes after all the time he missed due to the concussion.

George's minutes are down a little but they are similar to what they were before Bogdanovic got hurt; after that injury, his PT went up which raised the average for the year (minutes AND points). I'm glad to see him contributing again.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Really disappointed the way he was saying Ty-REESE in that game that he didn't follow it up with "hotter than fish grease!".

Not even once.

Reactions: jcyclonee

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Matt hurt his finger and was on the shelf the last couple of weeks. He's just now getting back to playing.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
With all 6 of our guys' teams in action, who had Abdel Nader as the leading scorer? The Suns blew a big early lead though and lost to the rebuilding OKC Thunder. Playing against his old team motivated Dooley for this line: 19 MIN, 12 PT, 5-9 FG, 2-4 3PT, 3 REB, 1 STL, 1 BLK and +5 (2nd-highest on team).

Some contributions but lower-than-average shooting from the rest of the Clones.

Georges Niang hit 1 3 in the 10th-sraight Jazz win, over Dallas. His line: 13 MIN, 3 PT, 1-3 FG, 1-3 3PT, 3 REB, 1 BLK, 0 TO, 1 PF and +7.

Monte
's guys also got the win, a lead-from-the-start deal vs. the Heat. Monte's shooting was cold and minutes were down but Malone may have given some run to their draft pick Hampton due to the big lead (speculation). Tae's numbers: 17 MIN, 4 PT, 2-9 FG, 0-3 3PT, 2 REB, 5 AST, 1 STL, 1 TO and -3.

Talen Horton-Tucker
got rotation minutes, but only in the 1st half of the Lakers' loss at Philly. He hit 1 bucket: 7 MIN, 2 PT, 1-2 FG, 3 REB, 2 TO and +4.

The Kings got their 2nd consecutive win, after 2 games vs. Memphis were postponed, and beat the Magic. Tyrese was hit by the Cyclones' cold front as well but got a bunch of assists: 30 MIN, 7 PT, 3-11 FG, 1-4 3PT, 2 REB, 7 AST, 1 STL, 2 TO and -8.

As @nefrine noted, Matt Thomas "Nursed" a spot on the bench in the Raptors' loss.

Reactions: simply1

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Talen with a good first half - he does it all on this play:

What a luxury to have a player like that to try out a few nights and sit a few nights. Half of the teams wouldn't be able to justify giving him less than 20 minutes a game.

He's versatile enough playing enough places on the floor that they could basically have any player injured other than LBJ/AD and not miss anything at all.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Help Support Us

Become a patron