Cyclones are 10 point favorites over Baylor

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Thinking for the future of ISU in this conference, the more Baylor gets a beat down, the better. When Baylor starts taking recruits like they were, ISU suffered. (bad coaching in Ames didn't help either!) With Campbell we are obviously expanding the recruiting area but if we are going to try and get some Texas kids, you don't want castoffs that only UTSA and SMU are going after. There is a tier of kid (that's not going to A&M or Texas) that can be a winning type player and I see ISU fighting Baylor for those types of kids if Baylor can recover after this season.

So, beat down Baylor if possible, make current recruits have some second thoughts. A slow start for Baylor next season may scare off some recruits...ends up being a good cycle for ISU, even if we only end up fighting them for a 1-2 recruits/year. Over a 4 year period that is up to 8 guys and if you have 4-5 of them end up on your 2 deep, that is a huge difference IMO.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Bigger spread than I expected, thought it might be something like 6.5. On paper, should be 17-point win.

Isn't ISU doing really well ATS this season? Seems like last time we didn't cover was maybe vs. UT?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Bigger spread than I expected, thought it might be something like 6.5. On paper, should be 17-point win.

Isn't ISU doing really well ATS this season? Seems like last time we didn't cover was maybe vs. UT?
We didn't cover against OSU. Don't think we covered WVU either.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think our defense is built for this. Oklahoma State exposed the defense just a bit on Saturday, but that was due to pure talent, with a quarterback who could place a ball perfectly, really, really good receivers, and a running back that was quick, powerful and fast.

I think we hold them well under 30 and we score over.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think our defense is built for this. Oklahoma State exposed the defense just a bit on Saturday, but that was due to pure talent, with a quarterback who could place a ball perfectly, really, really good receivers, and a running back that was quick, powerful and fast.

I think we hold them well under 30 and we score over.

I agree.

I told my wife Saturday the superior athletes won. That's not a knock on our guys but you could tell just by looking at OSU's guys.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I agree.

I told my wife Saturday the superior athletes won. That's not a knock on our guys but you could tell just by looking at OSU's guys.

Agree, OSU has way better talent (we are closing the gap) but they should be concerned because this coaching staff out coached Gundy with less AD budget as well. Almost forgot ISU went toe to toe with OSU with a third string QB - would OSU had beaten ISU with their third string QB?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
After Saturday can we say we have a good defense still?

Using the OSU game as your sample size seems pretty silly. The Pokes did what they've done all year on offense, which is utilize their speed they have across the board. The list of teams capable of slowing them down is pretty dang short.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If we attack this game like we have against ranked teams then yes. If we treat Baylor like they are a 1 win team we could get in trouble.

I think that the latter would have been much more likely if:

A. We hadn't lost the last two games.
B. Hadn't been beaten repeatedly by Baylor in recent years.

Also, as has been said, we took care of business with our "easier" games so far.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Pretty scary game imo.

ISU's run in October was really due to the base defense not letting much happen and coming through late, and the last two weeks they've gone leaky in crucial situations, and last weekend just plain gave up too many yards/points in general.

If it's close in the 4th I don't like ISU's chances.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I think this could be a tough game. Yes, Baylor has only beaten Kansas. but they switched to Brewer as the starting qb in that game and every game since. With that switch, their offense looks a little more like the Baylor offenses of old. Not the same team they were at the start of the year. I could see this being a similar game for ISU as the Iowa and Okie State games were. Defense will have to step up.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Another key this week (just like the past few) is not giving up the big play (Baylor has a WR already over 1,000 yards).

A huge advantage that ISU has this week, is that Baylor has been playing a true freshman at QB (though he has been pretty good). ISU should be able to frustrate him with the 3 man front and dropping 8 into coverage with the occasional blitz coming from different directions (so long as they stop the run).

It's crazy the QB's ISU has had to play in 5 of the past 6 games.
-Baker Mayfield (likely heisman winner and #1 in CFB in pass efficiency).
-Nic Shimonek (#10 in CFB in pass efficiency).
-Kenny Hill (#26 in CFB in pass efficiency).
-Will Grier (#7 in CFB in pass efficiency).
-Mason Rudolph (#3 in CFB in pass efficiency).

Charlie Brewer might be a nice football player with a bright future, but he's a drop off from that list.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This game scares me a little. Baylor may be 1-9, but they have a lot more talent than a 1 win team. They would steamroll those patsies that beat them early if they played them right now.

Both of these last two regular season games have me a little nervous. Baylor's better than their record suggests, and they haven't quit on their coach. The Cyclones will get their best shot.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Baylor covers.