Cyclone Hockey advances to national semi-finals

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
No. 5 Iowa State will face off against No. 3 Ohio University on Tuesday in the semi-finals of the ACHA National Tournament.

Iowa State knocked off two league rivals, Kent State and Illinois, in overtime to advance to the round of four. OU is another CSCHL opponent with which the Cyclones are very familiar -- Iowa State dropped both games here in Athens last month, and was also defeated by the Bobcats in the league tournament two weeks ago.

I can't speak for the CSCHL game, but Iowa State largely outplayed Ohio in the two regular-season games. The Cyclones had better opportunities and more shots, but Ohio's goaltender was able to keep his team ahead. The other notable thing about those games is they were physical -- huge checking from both sides, scrums after the whistle, and player ejections. Whichever team wins will be pretty beat up heading into the final against the winner of Lindenwood and Central Oklahoma.

Go Cyclones!

Last edited:
Reactions: Broodwich

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Update: Iowa State will play on Tuesday at 8 p.m. CST against Ohio University.

The games can be watched at fasthockey.com, but it is $6.99 to watch. Otherwise, just follow along on Facebook or Twitter. Chicagoland Cyclones should try to get out to the rink to watch them in person!

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
I have been watching all of these games on fasthockey.com and have to say after watching these guys play all year they are on top of their game right now. Both of their games so far in this tourney have ended in overtime lets hope they play hard and win this one in regulation. I was at the CSCHL tourney and saw the Ohio v ISU game and have to say Iowa States skaters looked really good but Ohio's goalie had one heck of a game and even got MVP for that tourney. ISU has a great team and a very good goalie. They will all have to play hard and have one heck of a game to advance.

I am sad that I have class Tuesday night so I cant watch this next game but if they do advance I will be heading from central Iowa to Chicago to cheer them on in the National Championship game. Lindenwood is a great team and last years national champs I am assuming that they will advance to the final game and whoever plays them will need all the fan support they can get for that game. If that team happens to be ISU (and I hope it is) I hope to see good fan support for that game to cheer ISU onto their first National Championship and winning of the Murdoch cup (yes the National Championship cup is named after our coach) since 1992.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Cyclones score three goals in the first 12 minutes of the third period, 3-2 Iowa State with 8 minutes to go!

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Cyclones still up 3-2 with 4:22 remaining. Winner of this game advances to the finals against defending national champion and CSCHL-rival Lindenwood.