*** Cyclone Fanatic Sitcom Tournament: Round of 64 ***

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Am surprised Gilligan is curb stomping The Larry Sanders Show this bad, Sanders was a great show.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Am surprised Gilligan is curb stomping The Larry Sanders Show this bad, Sanders was a great show.
I legit never heard of that show until this tourney. Asked a couple other people at work and no one else had any idea what I was talking about. Honestly have no idea how that one made it through with the seeding it got

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I legit never heard of that show until this tourney. Asked a couple other people at work and no one else had any idea what I was talking about. Honestly have no idea how that one made it through with the seeding it got

Its one of those shows thats a huge critics favorite but didn't have a huge draw iirc

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I think it was an HBO show, so it didn't have a wide audience.

Reactions: xboxfever

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Regarding Orange is the New Black, I'm pretty sure it was up for awards in the comedy category, so it makes sense to include it in this. Probably the same thing with the Wonder Years. I'm actually surprised at how many of you don't think that one was a sitcom.

It killed me to vote Friends vs. Golden Girls. Both would probably make my personal top 4.

Reactions: cyclones500

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Regarding Orange is the New Black, I'm pretty sure it was up for awards in the comedy category, so it makes sense to include it in this

It was for its first season, but then moved over to a drama for season 2 and beyond, so the majority was drama.

That being said, not all comedies are sitcoms. Even as a comedy, i don't see OITNB as a sitcom, it was always, at the very least, a dramedy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I like his stuff, but I can only handle Gary Shandling's humor in small doses.
I'm kind of with you. I thought a sitcom with a behind-the-scenes look at a late night talk show was smart and interesting, but yes Shandling himself could be a bit grating.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Since the regions were named based on the geographic locations of the four #1 seeds, we tried to fill in the brackets based on the geographic locations of the shows once we got past the top 2 seeds (which were paired based on overall rank.) Wasn't always easy since so many shows are in NYC and the east coast, but we did our best. If there was a show set in the midwest or rust belt, we slotted them into the Scranton region. That's why 'Family Ties' (Ohio) and 'Parks and Rec' (Indiana) were paired. Just FYI.
Nice to know, but both are top 10 IMO.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
Honestly if scrubs goes out I’m probably done with this, 12 seed was bad enough for a top 10 sitcom all time, but to go out in the first round is just absurd.
Maybe the seed was right and your personal opinion was skewed. Seems possible for someone who had never HEARD of WKRP and the Larry Sanders Show. I'm sure everyone here is going to have a personal favorite go down earlier than we think it should because it isn't as popular with the people voting as we think it should be for whatever reason.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It was an HBO show, really good but yes you're right it didn't have a massive audience.
Yeah, there were a lot of great shows on HBO that a lot of people haven't heard of. Dream On was brilliant and really kind of ahead of its time. The way it used clips from old TV shows and movies the same way we use memes and gifs in social media was truly unique. But I get why it didn't make the cut because there just weren't a lot of people that saw it and it probably wouldn't have gotten many votes in this tournament.