Cyclone Alley

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Dear old people,

At least we cheer and get into the game.

Sincerely,

Students in CA

Opportunity by both old and young. Old folks walking out at the last tv timeout and students glued to their phones during Michigan free throws while both old and young are cheering.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
I enjoyed the chants, even though they were "inappropriate". Cyclone Alley got under his skin and I believe it caused him not to play as well. And I am fine with the apology tweet. Once the game is over, there's no reason you can't be civil, especially since we're not going to see them again this year.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Maybe we should apologize for being loud too. Loud noises hurt peoples ears. :jimlad:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't think the F whoever chants are appropriate, and I don't think they reflect very well on ISU. What other idiotic fans at others schools do really doesn't matter. ISU is better than that.

Also, it is probably not the brightest idea to do chants like that at any time, but especially not when top recruits (and possibly members of their family) are in the building. No one has any idea what impressions those chants will make on them, although there is probably little possibility that the impressions will be favorable.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Cyclone Alley and the students were awesome yesterday. I hope they keep it up for even these lesser games (like UMKC); I bet they will.

Still, I agree that the McGary chant was disrespectful and I was cringing while they were chanting it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I don't think the F whoever chants are appropriate, and I don't think they reflect very well on ISU. What other idiotic fans at others schools do really doesn't matter. ISU is better than that.

Also, it is probably not the brightest idea to do chants like that at any time, but especially not when top recruits (and possibly members of their family) are in the building. No one has any idea what impressions those chants will make on them, although there is probably little possibility that the impressions will be favorable.

The recruits are close to the same age as the ones doing the chanting. I really doubt if it offended them.

Look, like you & many others, it's not language I use. I get that. But I say "he!!" & "damb" (avoiding censor bots), while my mother would never have dreamed of using such vulgarities. Be glad the students are involved and influencing the game outcome. If the language is over the top, the university will deal with it.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I..don't...knit...

i figured you knitted this hat!?! My world has been turned upside down, everything is a lie!

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I was sitting in 240. Gotta say no one in our section was impressed with the actions of those sitting in 239. We are all awaiting an official apology.

Hey, I sit in 239! Honestly, I thought they were chanting "Foul on McGary" because the refs weren't calling him for much. My wife says I need hearing aids, but mostly I just shut her voice out.

Hold it there guys, I have seats in both 238 and 239, and therefore feel responsible for us all, the young and feeble(such as yourself oldman). I will go take care of iacyguy, no apologies are coming your way!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Nope.

Allen Lazard @AllenLazard 17 Nov

Who's Chuck McGary? #cyclONEnation

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
The recruits are close to the same age as the ones doing the chanting. I really doubt if it offended them.

Look, like you & many others, it's not language I use. I get that. But I say "he!!" & "damb" (avoiding censor bots), while my mother would never have dreamed of using such vulgarities. Be glad the students are involved and influencing the game outcome. If the language is over the top, the university will deal with it.

You say you doubt it offended them, but you don't know that, or if it might have offended any of his family members if they were there. That's the point. Why take the chance on doing something that may offend someone, and put ISU in a bad light? To me, that is just stupid and idiotic.

I am glad the students get involved. I think CA is as much student enthusiasm as I have seen at Hilton events......but I'm just saying it does not need to sink so low as F whoever chants. To me, that just makes them look childish and sophomoric. Be more creative. Those chants are ones junior high kids would think up.

Also....there have been a lot of negative comments here about the old people not cheering as much. That has been a complaint at Hilton for a long, long time. What did impress me last night though was that while all the storming the floor was going on, and even through the "Sweet Caroline" portion, most of those "old folks" in the parquet sections were sticking around, taking it all in. Plus, when you show disrespect to those "old folks" based on how much they cheer, and want to make signs like "*** the old people", remember a couple of things. First, someday you will be old too.....and more importantly, if not for the continued financial support of those old people, Jack Trice would not have been built, not to mention all the other new facilities, and the coaches salaries would not be even as close to competitive as they are now. So, no, they may not physically cheer as much, and they may leave a game early to get to their car, but they also show their support in ways that students sitting in CA certainly cannot do right now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron