Cy-Hawk Dual

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I mean the fact that refs know they have to hold him like a child when his match ends and then hand him off to someone else kind of makes a person think he hasn't made all that much progress. I won't lie I was rooting for the kid when he made the move to Iowa. Was thinking get him around Lee let him see you can dominate while conducting yourself in a pretty good manner. Well that didn't last long.

We all have said it and the wrestling community knows it....when he breaks and no one is around to stop it it's going to be bad or maybe we will get lucky and he pops off at the wrong person and gets brought down a peg or two.

The scary part is, once the wrestling season is over you think Iowa wants anything to do with him?

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
The Brands' coaching demeanor is terrible and I feel comfortable saying this because it is on public display all the time. I don't know them as private persons, but the legal history is a matter of public record.

More broadly, I question a sporting culture that allows rich, entitled, 50-60 year old coaches to act out like petulant 12 year old bullies. Not all coaches do this, and I only respect those that don't. Maybe the old timers can enlighten me--did Harold Nichols carry on like this? Gable certainly did from what I've seen.
I was too young but don't recall anything like this regarding Harold Nichols or his assistants at a meet. And although Gable carried on, I don't recall it ever to such an extreme.

At a meet, though, what people apparently saw yesterday is just a slightly more extreme version of what has been going on for a long time. Again, Gable engaged in some kinds of this behavior -- but it wasn't to this degree and probably mostly for a good cause -- as in, more directly related to something that happened during the match on the mat.

I mean you have to appreciate the Brands intensity but I don't know how Barta can be so hands off. You can't allow your program to run this way, you just can't.
IMO, this kind of behavior ought to be embarrassing for grown men in their 50s-60s.

Off the mat, there are a lot of stories -- both in Iowa City and in Ames. I'm not old enough or wasn't close enough to know directly ones I've heard regarding Nichols' era. Similarly ones I've heard about the Brands brothers are second hand.

Linked below is the Sports Illustrated article before the 1996 Olympics that talks some about their upbringing in Sheldon. I don't think it talks about it so much in this article, but if I recall, wrestling was a way for them to channel their behavior into something more positive. I am not absolutely positive, but I am almost certain that I met Randy Feekes (pronounced fake-us), who, according to the article, introduced them to the sport. He was younger than me, but older than the Brands, who wouldn't have been wrestling yet. Again, this was a long time ago. But I believe I stayed overnight with Randy Feekes and his parents, who were really good people, for a freestyle tournament in Sheldon, along with a couple of my teammates.

For ISU old-timers, Chuck Jean, who won NCAA titles in 1969 and 1970 -- before he was kicked off the team, and apparently out of school -- recently passed away. RIP, Chuck Jean.

In this article from October, they recount his killing a buck at Ledges State Park on a bet:

Last edited:

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
Which is why as much as I dislike Cael for taking the easy way out, I always smile when PSU beats down Hawks.

This. This right here. I have been on a slow burn ever since Cael did what he did, but I found myself cheering on every Penn State guy last year in the finals so TOE would go down.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
The Brands' coaching demeanor is terrible and I feel comfortable saying this because it is on public display all the time. I don't know them as private persons, but the legal history is a matter of public record.

More broadly, I question a sporting culture that allows rich, entitled, 50-60 year old coaches to act out like petulant 12 year old bullies. Not all coaches do this, and I only respect those that don't. Maybe the old timers can enlighten me--did Harold Nichols carry on like this? Gable certainly did from what I've seen.

I started going to wrestling matches in the latter part of the Nichols era. I was/am aware of the may stories about the program, but I never witnessed Coach Nichols exhibit any kind of poor behavior. I would see him on campus, as well as at every match and tournament that I attended, which was many. He was intense, that much was apparent, but very professional. Most of us have also witnessed Gable, who was about as intense as they come, but while he expressed anger, chewed on some refs ears, and made occasional gestures (I only once recall the finger thing), but I don't recall him ever charging the refs, charging the other team, or engaging in any behavior that would rise to the level of the Brands. I think that their actions are a poor reflection on the sport and on their school/team. I find it unfortunate that UI allows it to continue unabated, but then as long as they are winning, apparently how they deport themselves isn't really important.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Terry Brands is incredibly passionate but seemingly cannot contain himself if he's near the action. He can't even sit down. Two years ago during his son Nelson's match with Colbray (which he also won in OT), he had to keep going back toward the tunnel and had a hard time watching. He is what he is, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable.

Any insight on the edge of the mat that curled up in the Hawk's corner? I got immense enjoyment seeing the Brands grousing about it and tripping over it as they kept going on to the mat during the matches. If it was intentional, it worked perfectly to frustrate and anger them.
Sounds like the current Iowa wrestling leadership is less on the cerebral side and more on the reactionary/emotional side. Nothing a little duck tape couldn't have fixed. :confused:

Reactions: JonnyO and 67CY

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I was too young but don't recall anything like this regarding Harold Nichols or his assistants at a meet. And although Gable carried on, I don't recall it ever to such an extreme.

At a meet, though, what people apparently saw yesterday is just a slightly more extreme version of what has been going on for a long time. Again, Gable engaged in some kinds of this behavior -- but it wasn't to this degree and probably mostly for a good cause -- as in, more directly related to something that happened during the match on the mat.

IMO, this kind of behavior ought to be embarrassing for grown men in their 50s-60s.

Off the mat, there are a lot of stories -- both in Iowa City and in Ames. I'm not old enough or wasn't close enough to know directly ones I've heard regarding Nichols' era. Similarly ones I've heard about the Brands brothers are second hand.

Linked below is the Sports Illustrated article before 1996 Olympics that talks some about their upbringing in Sheldon. I don't think it talks about it so much in this article, but if I recall, wrestling was a way for them to channel their behavior into something more positive. I am not absolutely positive, but I am almost certain that I met Randy Feekes (pronounced fake-us), who, according to the article, introduced them to the sport. He was younger than me, but older than the Brands, who wouldn't have been wrestling yet. Again, this was a long time ago. But I believe I stayed overnight with a group of wrestlers with Randy Feekes at his parents, who were really good people, for a freestyle tournament in Sheldon.

For ISU old-timers, Chuck Jean, who won NCAA titles in 1969 and 1970 -- before he was kicked off the team, and apparently out of school -- recently passed away. RIP, Chuck Jean.

In this article from October, they recount his killing a buck at Ledges State Park on a bet:
Chuck was a good guy

Reactions: Clone83

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Former wrestlers that absolutely hate them is one way I can say it: watching them out in public or at press conferences is another way.
If wrestlers hate them how come they are still #1 or 2 foar all these years they have been coaching? I would think if wrestlers hate them that perhaps they wouldn't want to wrestle for Iowa?

Honest question.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If wrestlers hate them how come they are still #1 or 2 foar all these years they have been coaching? I would think if wrestlers hate them that perhaps they wouldn't want to wrestle for Iowa?

Honest question.
There’s a enough meatheads in the world to keep their quiver full.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Honest question.

That's a valid question and one I've asked many times. For whatever we see from the outside, parents don't seem concerned about sending their kids there. Their recruiting classes are pretty much always elite.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Honest question.
They recruit either fellow crazies or pay up for the normal ones

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
There’s a enough meatheads in the world to keep their quiver full.
That's a valid question and one I've asked many times. For whatever we see from the outside, parents don't seem concerned about sending their kids there. Their recruiting classes are pretty much always elite.
They recruit either fellow crazies or pay up for the normal ones
I do like following ISU wrestling, just haven't really since I moved away (from Ames) and after Gable went to Iowa and they sort of took over. Maybe Dressler can bring it back some, the magic that used to be ISU wrestling.

I tried looking up stuff/tape, comments on Harold Nichols. Could find next to nothing. Too long ago I guess or the archives have him hidden away. Anyway, it just seems to me that Dressler has just a little of the Nichols vibe to him. Can't pin it down because I have nothing to go off of.

This team is worth following again, and hopefully will continue to get better.

grapplefan

Dec 6, 2021
So what do you know about the brands?

what was your opinion of their behavior last night?

why would you take all that time to register to defend them because they’re terrible people?
I'm not defending them. I'm supporting criticism over character attacks based on rumor or innuendo. As far as sideline shenanigans, I think that they distract from the action, but that doesn't mean that the people involved are always terrible people. Decent people can sometimes do dumb things.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I'm not defending them. I'm supporting criticism over character attacks based on rumor or innuendo. As far as sideline shenanigans, I think that they distract from the action, but that doesn't mean that the people involved are always terrible people. Decent people can sometimes do dumb things.

That’s true, but knowing what we do about the brands brothers, what has ever given any indication they’re decent people?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Do you consider court documents rumors or innuendo? NM. Don't care what you think.

Help Support Us

Become a patron