Cy-Hawk Dual

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Brands were the first wrestlers to demean their opponents by shoving them out of bounds routinely. It was promoted by Gable culture as “aggressive wrestling”.
Their antics as coaches are also a first and certainly have been developed. Followed by Doug Schwab as a close second. He was worse when he was an Iowa assistant.

Doug doesn’t get along with them anymore

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Brands were the first wrestlers to demean their opponents by shoving them out of bounds routinely. It was promoted by Gable culture as “aggressive wrestling”.
Their antics as coaches are also a first and certainly have been developed. Followed by Doug Schwab as a close second. He was worse when he was an Iowa assistant.

I was talking about this with somebody today.

For reference, one of my first memories of watching wrestling was the night Randy Lewis dislocated his elbow wrestling Jim Gibbons, so I've watched the vast majority of Iowa's truly great wrestlers of the Gable era forward and even more of them in the YouTube age. Barry Davis didn't do that crap, and neither did Randy Lewis. The Banachs? Nope. Kistlers? Zaleskys? Goldman, Chipperelli or Heffernan? Negative. They were physical as hell and took no prisoners, but they were never dirty and they did their talking on the mat.

It didn't start until the Brands boys came to town. They showed up at a time when Iowa had just had their streak snapped and had lost a little of their mojo, so I think Gable was ok with it as long as it came with their return to the top. It's just grown from there and now it's manifested to where we are today. Last night was a new low, and I only expect it to get worse. Someday it's going to break down into an all out donnybrook and they'll have no one to blame but themselves...of course that won't stop them from throwing out their standard kid on the playground defense of, "yeah, well he started it!"

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I was going to ISU when the Brands brothers were wrestling and the stories you heard about them made you cringe. Straight up ******** that had no respect for anything. Watching the meet for a bit last night and it appears nothing has changed.

Interesting enough I have a customer who has a niece or some family member that is married to Tom or Terry and they come down there and hunt and visit. He says when they are around they are the exact opposite of what you see on the mat. Quiet and respectful and down the earth guys.

I'm calling ******** on that....

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
Was at the meet last night. Before it started was disappointed to see fences up on the ends of the court on Cyclone Alley. After the meet was glad they were there so the crowd didn't spill into the floor during the dust up. Probably a good new perminate change and certinally a sign of the times.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The whole Hok athletic dept has some serious issues. Lawsuits, racism, anger management, psycho coaches, etc... Barta must be so proud.

I mean you have to appreciate the Brands intensity but I don't know how Barta can be so hands off. You can't allow your program to run this way, you just can't.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
Terry Brands is incredibly passionate but seemingly cannot contain himself if he's near the action. He can't even sit down. Two years ago during his son Nelson's match with Colbray (which he also won in OT), he had to keep going back toward the tunnel and had a hard time watching. He is what he is, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable.

Any insight on the edge of the mat that curled up in the Hawk's corner? I got immense enjoyment seeing the Brands grousing about it and tripping over it as they kept going on to the mat during the matches. If it was intentional, it worked perfectly to frustrate and anger them.

Reactions: grapplefan

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
I was going to ISU when the Brands brothers were wrestling and the stories you heard about them made you cringe. Straight up ******** that had no respect for anything. Watching the meet for a bit last night and it appears nothing has changed.

Interesting enough I have a customer who has a niece or some family member that is married to Tom or Terry and they come down there and hunt and visit. He says when they are around they are the exact opposite of what you see on the mat. Quiet and respectful and down the earth guys.

I’m with you. Probably the same stories I’ve heard or seen

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You mean like first year there and one ends up sleeping under the others bed since he got kicked out of the dorms right away and had no place?

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
You mean like first year there and one ends up sleeping under the others bed since he got kicked out of the dorms right away and had no place?

Ya and if I remember correctly they had dorm rooms right next to each other and the one that got kicked out was trying to break the wall down between their rooms. So they obviously weren't in a building like the Towers like I was at where the walls were poured concrete. If so they're more batshit crazy than I first thought...

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
There is a big difference. Schwab can get after it on the sidelines but he can contain himself for the most part and is generally a good guy with great intentions for his team and the sport.
Im with you maybe it’s because I’ve had the chance to talk to the guy a few more times. He gets after it on the sidelines rides the refs will say some stuff back and forth to coaching staffs but does it within reason. He wouldn’t be one to snub a wrestlers handshake, wouldn’t run into the opponents side, etc. He’s passionate about his team and the sport…not someone who’s actively trying to start **** with the other team.

grapplefan

Dec 6, 2021
Are you trying to assert they are good people?
No, I'm asserting that the poster doesn't know them, and is trying to smear them based on hearsay. It doesn't get much worse than "not good people." That's different than criticizing their antics on the edge of the mat, or calling out their coaching, or criticizing their speaking, or any of the other stuff that people say. Personally, I think that Kevin Dresser, Doug Schwab, and Tom Brands are all basically good people. As for their coaching, well, we all have opinions.