Creston Heat Index of 147?

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
I'm not sure Creston deserves to have this much said about it.

Probably true.... I got pulled over not too long ago by a state trooper and when he saw I was from Creston he said "I lived in Creston for a year, but moved because it was too rough." But honestly its not that bad

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Dew point of 90 seems awfully high. Checking Galveston, it looks like their dew point is 81. A few miles apart, I know, but you'd think sitting on the Gulf would be just about the highest dew point you'd see...

A dewpoint reading that high is definitely erroneous.

However, you can have higher dewpoints in the midwest than some places along the coast if you are close to a cornfield or something similar. The plants let off moisture in a process called evapotranspiration, thus increasing the dewpoint without having moisture advected in from a surface water body source like the Gulf.

SOIllCyclone

Sep 7, 2008
Austin, TX
147 is unlikely but the ones that were in 120 seems likely because Ames at 5:51 pm is 114 so earlier today I could see somewhat near that but some were exaggeration.

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
If you look at the Iowa weather conditions from the national weather service NWS Des Moines Latest Surface Weather Observations , Creston (and many other IOwa weather stations are flagged

* - THESE STATIONS ARE NOT NWS STATIONS...THUS NOT UNDER NWS
QUALITY CONTROL. THEY ALSO DO NOT REPORT WEATHER SUCH
AS PRECIPITATION OR FOG.

BTW, for those waiting for the cool air, the heat index is down to 85 in a thunderstorm at the Sioux Gateway Airport (Sioux City).