Chicago, IL
Well, I guess we can calculate the heat index ourselves.. Here's the formula:
Any takers?
ffc43b5b70660580825ea5896ff81ae6.png

Reactions: cyfanatic

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
I wont trust your roommate until he receives his official degree. Sorry!

Well, from my time in school, I've actually come to trust meteorology students more than a lot of major weather outlets. NWS is a good one, but a lot of TV stations have people that just rely on the computer models, while the meteorology program here has the kids doing all their own math and looking at hard data every day. I think you'd be surprised at how good some of these kids are.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Well, from my time in school, I've actually come to trust meteorology students more than a lot of major weather outlets. NWS is a good one, but a lot of TV stations have people that just rely on the computer models, while the meteorology program here has the kids doing all their own math and looking at hard data every day. I think you'd be surprised at how good some of these kids are.

I think you are underestimating the power of that paper degree...

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

There is a Meteorlogy major working for me this summer and he has been wrong on several occassions.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Well, I guess we can calculate the heat index ourselves.. Here's the formula:
Any takers?
ffc43b5b70660580825ea5896ff81ae6.png

Maybe that stick-your-finger-in-your-mouth-and-hold-it-up-to-determine-the-direction-of-the-wind thing or something similar could determine the HI within reasonable precision instead:jimlad:

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines

What if some of the people at those tv stations are "those kids?" :skeptical: Or did I just forget all that stuff from ISU when I walked in front of the cam?:jimlad:

Last edited:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
What if some of the people at those tv stations are "those kids?" :skeptical: Or did I just forget all that stuff from ISU when I walked in front of the cam?

Is that you Ed Wilson? Try getting 1 forecast right per week Ed and we might take you seriously. :jimlad:

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Where is Brett McIntyre when we need clarification?

Just checking out this website and noticed some of the dew points and heat index readings as high as 147 in Creston.
Weather Guru's........Can this be right?

He's at work :wink:

I would say that is probably incorrect. The sensor probably needs calibrating or is installed in a bad spot (right next to a cornfield?). Equipment that measures humidity/dew points are pretty touchy to begin with, so it's likely in need of repair. The other links in this thread are good to double check.