CR Tree Removal Recommendations

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have never seen such a lack of standard customer service as I have with trying to work with tree removal companies. We have had quotes from Frank's, ****'s and Breeden. Breeden had won our business but has since stopped answering and returning my calls.

I need someone that is insured and has climbers as a truck can't reach the location (back corner of house). Any other recommendations?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have the same predicament here in Ames. I have a guy that came and looked at our tree. I tried repeatedly to get him to call me back with no luck finally after a week he called back. He is waiting for a climber to come down from Minnesota as we have the same issue with a lack of access to get to the tree with a truck or cherry picker.

Reactions: wxman1

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I have never seen such a lack of standard customer service as I have with trying to work with tree removal companies. We have had quotes from Frank's, ****'s and Breeden. Breeden had won our business but has since stopped answering and returning my calls.

I need someone that is insured and has climbers as a truck can't reach the location (back corner of house). Any other recommendations?

Breeden will get to you, and they do good work (negotiate that price!! saved me $350 on $4000). all of the companies you listed are full with requests. I thought Breeden had forgotten about me, then all of a sudden we were next.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Breeden will get to you, and they do good work (negotiate that price!! saved me $350 on $4000). all of the companies you listed are full with requests. I thought Breeden had forgotten about me, then all of a sudden we were next.

On my message this morning I told them if we don't get this going we will have to go another direction so hopefully that moves us back up. They told us 2-3 weeks four weeks ago and have yet to return a call and have answered the phone once in that time. Their quote was several thousand less than everyone else so we really want to go with them so hopefully they come through but this is getting old.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have the same predicament here in Ames. I have a guy that came and looked at our tree. I tried repeatedly to get him to call me back with no luck finally after a week he called back. He is waiting for a climber to come down from Minnesota as we have the same issue with a lack of access to get to the tree with a truck or cherry picker.

Prime Cuts?

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
TreeHugger out of Maxwell was great. I had to have a tree taken down earlier this summer. I also experienced some pretty bad customer service and high prices with other companies but TreeHugger was great. (515) 203-6370.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

We recently had some work done by Frank's . their quote was the best and they did a very good job. it took them awhile to get us on the schedule and their communication wasn't very good, but the work was great.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We recently had some work done by Frank's . their quote was the best and they did a very good job. it took them awhile to get us on the schedule and their communication wasn't very good, but the work was great.

I am not sure if it was because my wife was the one there but they quoted us $4k over what Breeden did.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I am not sure if it was because my wife was the one there but they quoted us $4k over what Breeden did.

I think I've only ever done one job that we charged just $4,000. That's was like 30 trees though over 6 days on a farm. The most expensive tree I've done was just over $3,000. That one was over 80ft tall and it was just me holding the rope while the boss was up in the bucket that only reaches 60ft. You said it's over your house right? That means roping which means $$$$$$.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I think I've only ever done one job that we charged just $4,000. That's was like 30 trees though over 6 days on a farm. The most expensive tree I've done was just over $3,000. That one was over 80ft tall and it was just me holding the rope while the boss was up in the bucket that only reaches 60ft. You said it's over your house right? That means roping which means $$$$$$.

Holy ****! for what we needed was only $300 and they were atleast $100 less than the others.

Ours is a large silver maple that hangs over the house and the trunk is rotting...a lot. So that obviously adds to the cost which we understand but $4k over another company is just outrageous. There were several other companies that we came out but they no quoted it due to not having climbers/not being able to get a bucket truck up and over the house to do it.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Ours is a large silver maple that hangs over the house and the trunk is rotting...a lot. So that obviously adds to the cost which we understand but $4k over another company is just outrageous. There were several other companies that we came out but they no quoted it due to not having climbers/not being able to get a bucket truck up and over the house to do it.

Yeah that is ridiculous. I remember doing a job that was around $1000, and the boss said someone else had quoted it for $10,000. Being that much higher means they don't want to do it. Is there not a lot of room for equipment?

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
We (Country Landscapes, have a shop in North Liberty) have a tree climber (Ashley) on staff. Would love to give you a quote, if interested. Message me your number or contact info and I'll have her give you a call or stop by.

-Soren

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yeah that is ridiculous. I remember doing a job that was around $1000, and the boss said someone else had quoted it for $10,000. Being that much higher means they don't want to do it. Is there not a lot of room for equipment?

Very tough. No way to get a truck close. Back of house 10 feet from house on one side, 10 feet form a fence on another and 20 feet from the deck on a third side.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Sounds better to move. Or cheaper to drop yourself and pay the insurance deductible

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Well the time for the my tree removal is soon approaching. Next Mon-Tues. Still have no idea how they will get it down in such a small area. 70' tall and the trunk is 39" in diameter. It's gonna run me about $3,000 to get it out, without the stump being ground.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Well the time for the my tree removal is soon approaching. Next Mon-Tues. Still have no idea how they will get it down in such a small area. 70' tall and the trunk is 39" in diameter. It's gonna run me about $3,000 to get it out, without the stump being ground.

Good luck!

I am still calling Breeden everyday with no luck.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I tried 5 different ones and one on craigslist. The person on craigslist was a husband and wife team and they didn't have a climber, but they got back to me right away. I would have paid the extra to have them do it but they didn't have a climber that would tackle one overhanging branch. (The guy's wife was smoking hot and probably could have kicked the crap out of me as she was ripped!! I was damn tempted to ask her how she got involved in the tree service business.)

The others ones were pretty slow about a week or so at . Don't know if all the ash tree removals have them that busy or what. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron