Cowherd rips Iowa

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Instead of saying "Cowherd's and idiot" You could perhaps prove him wrong. His point is on. Iowa schedules no one while all those other teams he mentioned schedule not only good teams, but often great teams. Iowa is not the 5th best team in the country. You also can't make much of an argument they are better than anyone in the top 10. They haven't beaten a good team yet and have struggled with some marginal teams. They have no wins that signal they belong with anyone in the top 8. This isn't really arguable and he's factually right that they never play big games and he's factually right when he says everything has changed for everyone else just like Iowa. If anything he could have talked about that, in fact Iowa hasn't really had anything change in a negative way. They are in the easiest division of BCS football now and they have a schedule that dodges the best three teams in the conference. Depending on how good the Est champion is, they will get shelled either there or in a top level bowl game.

Iowa's beaten two top-25 teams on their fields. Baylor has yet to beat/play a team with a record over .500. Sure Baylor has a tough road coming up but for all we know they could lose two or three straight. If the conversation is about ****** schedules to date played by top-10 teams, Baylor is at the bottom of that **** heap.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Some of y'alls hatred of Iowa clouds your judgement a bit. Iowa is a good team. If they go undefeated, with out question they deserve a spot in the playoff and they would be in.

I'm not sure it's hatred as much as we've seen them in the field and came away unimpressed. Remember, this ISU team was tied with Iowa late in the 4th quarter after leading much of the game. We've also gone up against legit contenders and were not remotely close to being tied late in the 4th quarter. So, if any fan base can compare Iowa vs Baylor, OSU, or OU it's ours.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
I'm not sure it's hatred as much as we've seen them in the field and came away unimpressed. Remember, this ISU team was tied with Iowa late in the 4th quarter after leading much of the game. We've also gone up against legit contenders and were not remotely close to being tied late in the 4th quarter. So, if any fan base can compare Iowa vs Baylor, OSU, or OU it's ours.

Well, that was two months ago. After oSu sneaked their way to a win against Texas I would have never predicted they would beat TCU. But some teams improve as the season progresses. Heck, can you really take much from a rivalry game? The Sooners look like world beaters right now but they lost to Texas. They were not the better team that day. You really can't take much away from single game performances. You have to look at it holistically. Transitive property between just a few data points is insignificant.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Iowa's beaten two top-25 teams on their fields. Baylor has yet to beat/play a team with a record over .500. Sure Baylor has a tough road coming up but for all we know they could lose two or three straight. If the conversation is about ****** schedules to date played by top-10 teams, Baylor is at the bottom of that **** heap.

Yes but Baylor crushes people. I would also argue those two teams are top 25 because they don't play anyone either. Except NW, they beat Stanford and I'm not quite sure how. Similar to OU losing to UT.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Some of y'alls hatred of Iowa clouds your judgement a bit. Iowa is a good team. If they go undefeated, with out question they deserve a spot in the playoff and they would be in.

I agree with that. I think any undefeated BCS team should be in because that's incredibly hard to do.

I still haven't figured out what the ranking is aimed to determine. Are they the best 4 teams or are they the 4 most deserving. Those are two different things.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Comparing Iowas and ND's schedule isnt apples to apples. Also, Baylor hasnt played anyone in the non-con since forever. Other than that, he has reasonable points n matter how much I cant stand the guy.

Notre Dame really only keeps navy usc and Stanford on their scedule. Next year they add Texas and Michigan state. Georgia in 2017. They also gave the acc requirement. I would s as y notre dame schedules as tough as anybody. Iowa sucks.

BearDownAZ

May 27, 2014
Iowa has beat 2 ranked teams on the road, with Pitt being another quality win in my eyes. They deserve to be ranked where they are no question. If Cowherd has a bone to pick about scheduling OOC opponents, there are PLENTY of targets for that hate to go around *Cough*OSU*Baylor*Cough

Iowa is always locked into playing ISU out of conference which never does them any favors, but that ain't going anywhere. They scheduled another P5 school and a very good FCS team. Could they have set up a better slate? no question, but this just seems like baiting on Cowherd's end. Iowa doesn't have tough conference schedule? yeah thats on them... :rolleyes:

End of the day, none of it matters, Iowa will play in the B1G CG and if they win, all doubters will be silenced or be able to finally rejoice in how right they think they are.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yes but Baylor crushes people. I would also argue those two teams are top 25 because they don't play anyone either. Except NW, they beat Stanford and I'm not quite sure how. Similar to OU losing to UT.

You seem pretty objective, too. So I guess your insights are legit.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
I agree with that. I think any undefeated BCS team should be in because that's incredibly hard to do.

I still haven't figured out what the ranking is aimed to determine. Are they the best 4 teams or are they the 4 most deserving. Those are two different things.

There isn't a whole lot of consistency with the rankings. Quite frankly, I don't think they are credible. There isn't a point to releasing them if we haven't gone far enough into the season to match the entire grading criteria (conference championships). Here is an interesting take from Joel Klatt: http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-...ge-football-conspiracy-theory-the-herd-111115

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Ferentz knows he can hide out in the weakest P5 division in an overrated B10. He's not stupid. Playing any type of team like the ones Cowherd mentions is an automatic loss.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No one plays anyone out of conference in college football, that's a problem with the current set up. We have very few data points to judge how good conferences really are. Oklahoma St seems good because they beat TCU, well what win does TCU have that proves they weren't severly overrated as well? Oklahoma St and TCU have both looked very average at times this year. Same with Ohio St and Michigan St as well. Ohio St is purely living on last season's finish for their ranking, Iowa's resume this year is better than Ohio St's. Until we get teams consistently playing three P5 non-conf games, the rankings are going to involve a ton of guesswork.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Ferentz knows he can hide out in the weakest P5 division in an overrated B10. He's not stupid. Playing any type of team like the ones Cowherd mentions is an automatic loss.

Who are they suppose to play? They played a Big 12 team and an ACC team out of conference, that is tougher than most P5 teams play. When these games are scheduled no one had any idea if how good teams are going to be anyway. Pitt is a good game for Iowa, most years 2 middle of the conference teams facing each other. They also cannot control the ****** conference schedule the Big 1014 gave them.

Trust me I don't like Iowa, but sometimes you have to take the cardinal glasses off.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Iowa just needs a Phyllis to call in to Murph and Andy and call him "Cow Turd" and it all will be complete.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I don't like him. Besides, even when all is said and done this year, Iowa still has zero reason to schedule tougher teams in the non conference. You telling me they won't be in if they go undefeated? And would they EVER skip a bigger name 1 loss team should they have one loss too? Nope.

Continue to schedule whoever you want, Iowa. It won't hurt you.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Who are they suppose to play? They played a Big 12 team and an ACC team out of conference, that is tougher than most P5 teams play. When these games are scheduled no one had any idea if how good teams are going to be anyway. Pitt is a good game for Iowa, most years 2 middle of the conference teams facing each other. They also cannot control the ****** conference schedule the Big 1014 gave them.

Trust me I don't like Iowa, but sometimes you have to take the cardinal glasses off.

I'm not sure why you quoted my post to make your point. Unless you're saying playing Pitt and ISU is equivalent to playing some of the teams Cowherd mentions, which is completely ludicrous. I'm not criticizing Iowa's schedule, I'm just asking why would Iowa schedule an OOC guaranteed loss. This year is a perfect example of how what they're doing works perfectly.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Cowherd is a moron, he is wrong far more than he is right.

There was a year he ripped on a team and conference the ENTIRE season about how absolutely horrible and overrated they were, it was 99% of his college football coverage.

The team was Texas and the conference was the Big 12. Texas won the national title, the Big 12 went 6-1 in bowls and 7-0 vs the spread in bowls (the exact opposite of overrated). Basically it's impossible for someone to be as wrong as this turd was about college football that year.

Hate the guy, him being so anti-Iowa makes me more likely to cheer for Iowa not only because I don't like him, but because I know he's usually wrong.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa has beat 2 ranked teams on the road, with Pitt being another quality win in my eyes. They deserve to be ranked where they are no question. If Cowherd has a bone to pick about scheduling OOC opponents, there are PLENTY of targets for that hate to go around *Cough*OSU*Baylor*Cough

Iowa is always locked into playing ISU out of conference which never does them any favors, but that ain't going anywhere. They scheduled another P5 school and a very good FCS team. Could they have set up a better slate? no question, but this just seems like baiting on Cowherd's end. Iowa doesn't have tough conference schedule? yeah thats on them... :rolleyes:

End of the day, none of it matters, Iowa will play in the B1G CG and if they win, all doubters will be silenced or be able to finally rejoice in how right they think they are.

You missed the memo but Iowa State is now Point Guard U. Time to retire your handle

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
Cowherd has always hated Iowa. Maybe he got his heart broken by an Iowa girl or something.

Iowa is one of the very, very few teams that, usually, schedules 2 P5 teams in their 4 game OOC. Bama? No. Florida? No. LSU? No. Baylor doesn't even play 1 team in their 3 OOC games. So I guess he doesn't think much of ISU, Arizona, Pitt, and Arizona State. Unlike LSU and Alabama, these are home and home series, not somewhat neutral site games.

If the Pittsburgh game doesn't matter, then I guess he has to throw that win out for ND since they just played Pitt. ND only plays 9 games against P5 competition vs the 10 Iowa plays.

Let's look at Clemson's 2 non P5 opponents, Wofford and Appalachian State? Really? North Texas was a bowl team a couple years ago when the Iowa game was scheduled. Playing ND is a result of ND playing 5 ACC teams each year since NBC keeps paying them and they haven't been forced to join a conference. Hey, maybe they can join the Big XII?

Alabama's other 3 OOC games? Middle Tennessee, Charleston Southern, and UL Monroe. Sagarin rankings of 91, 120, and 15, Wisconsin is ranked 20. ISU, Pitt, North Texas, and the other ISU are ranked 65, 43, 180, and 81.

But numbers don't mean anything to Cowherd. He just wants click bait and people to talk about him, which as somebody else mentioned is what will happen when he goes off on Iowa like he did. He knows a part of our fanbase will call in, tweet, start threads, facebook post... which all results in more $$$ for him.