Covid Testing Related Question in Central Iowa

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Has anyone gotten tested in central Iowa (Ames, DSM) for the purposes of air travel within the last month or so? I'm wondering as I may have to take a trip this December to a foreign destination which requires proof of a negative Covid test within 5 days of depart for this destination. I have to have this written proof with me upon arrival or be subject to a 14 day quarantine at the destination - which defeats the whole point of this trip as I'd need to be able to move around for several days and then return to Iowa. So, my hope is that others have had experience with this and can fill me in on a few facts. 1. Are there third parties offering these services rather than test Iowa or my health care provider since I'm only getting the test to prove no Covid and won't have symptoms? 2. Where? 3. If so, did you get back your results promptly in written form?; finally, 4. Any other tips?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Has anyone gotten tested in central Iowa (Ames, DSM) for the purposes of air travel within the last month or so? I'm wondering as I may have to take a trip this December to a foreign destination which requires proof of a negative Covid test within 5 days of depart for this destination. I have to have this written proof with me upon arrival or be subject to a 14 day quarantine at the destination - which defeats the whole point of this trip as I'd need to be able to move around for several days and then return to Iowa. So, my hope is that others have had experience with this and can fill me in on a few facts. 1. Are there third parties offering these services rather than test Iowa or my health care provider since I'm only getting the test to prove no Covid and won't have symptoms? 2. Where? 3. If so, did you get back your results promptly in written form?; finally, 4. Any other tips?

Doctors now in wdm and Altoona have same day results. You need to schedule your time. Call them and ask them their protocol to same day test. Very easy to work with.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Hy Vee will test anybody but last person I knew who got one there, it took four days to get results in mail.

That might be cutting it close.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There's a rapid testing setup at 7 Flags. It's $80. https://hgscreenings.com/. Results in ~1 hour.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure you may be able to do Test Iowa without symptoms.
Rapid testing at Living History Farms too for $80. I did it once and it worked no problems. Got my result in under an hour. Its a nasal swab, but it wasn't the brain tickler that I have heard described before. Sign up was quick and easy online.

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011
Walgreens on East 14th and University has rapid testing for free. You have to have an appt and last I checked, they are a couple days out but results emailed to you in an hour. My wife and I have used them a couple times after exposure scares.

Reactions: carvers4math

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Is there a list of places that don’t do nasal swabs of any kind? I’ve heard Walgreens are cheek swabs. I haven’t been tested yet but have had family periodically get tests for unrelated medical stuff so I think I’m fine but wouldn’t be opposed to getting tested this winter if I get a cold. I don’t want to deal with a nasal swab though as I already have nasal issues.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
They have a rapid test location somewhere near living history farms. Friend got tested and had a text message within 15 minutes. I've gotten tested at the Test Iowa Ames site in research park and have gotten it back in less than 24 hours. Tested three times there and one in Des Moines with results on all 4 in less than 24 hours.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I am starting a quarantine based upon an exposure. i am ready for this **** to be done.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Rapid testing at Living History Farms too for $80. I did it once and it worked no problems. Got my result in under an hour. Its a nasal swab, but it wasn't the brain tickler that I have heard described before. Sign up was quick and easy online.
Yea, this is the same group that was at LHF. Based on their website it looks like they changed locations.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Walgreens on East 14th and University has rapid testing for free. You have to have an appt and last I checked, they are a couple days out but results emailed to you in an hour. My wife and I have used them a couple times after exposure scares.

Is the Walgreens a cheek swap?

I just got the brain scrape done and don't really want to put my daughter through that. In other words, I dont want to have to hold her down lol.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Test Iowa. Pick Marshalltown. Not wait, can be seen same day and you’ll get your results in less than 48 hrs.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Before you do this, make sure you know the types of tests which are accepted. I had an acquaintance run into that issue before a trip to Hawaii recently.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I have an appointment scheduled for 11/16 because we need to show a negative test within 7 days of our trip to St. Lucia. We are just going to a Dr's office.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron