Cost of Attendance changes

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Didn't see this posted anywhere. I had a feeling this was going to be a bad thing for Iowa State, and these early numbers don't give me warm-fuzzies. Shows the expected disparity between schools like Iowa State and Texas, and even Iowa. Texas will be providing almost twice as much, and Iowa over 30% more than Iowa State.

Not good, and Rhoads says he's already hearing about it on the recruiting trail. Rich gonna get richer.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/2015/03/30/cost-attendance-numbers-iowa/70680862/

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Didn't see this posted anywhere. I had a feeling this was going to be a bad thing for Iowa State, and these early numbers don't give me warm-fuzzies. Shows the expected disparity between schools like Iowa State and Texas, and even Iowa. Texas will be providing almost twice as much, and Iowa over 30% more than Iowa State.

Not good, and Rhoads says he's already hearing about it on the recruiting trail. Rich gonna get richer.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/2015/03/30/cost-attendance-numbers-iowa/70680862/

What a joke. Not surprising though.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Because Ames has a lower COL than anywhere else.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Because Ames has a lower COL than anywhere else.

The market may be different now but you could get a room in a shared apartment with some friends for like $400 just a couple of years ago in Ames.

For those who don't have much familiarity with rents elsewhere, that is insanely low.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
This may work to our advantage in football. We are currently competing with upper tier Non-Power 5 conference schools for a large number of our recruits. This should give us a competitive advantage.

This isn’t going to happen; however, we should be able to pay our student athletes a larger stipend due to the number that have to fly rather than drive to get home. Average distance from home for your student athletes should be factored in.

Also, there should be no excuse for losing to a FCS school in football when we are allowed 85 scholarships compared to 63 plus a stipend to our football players of $2430/year ($202.50/month). Go Cyclones!!!

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So this is an Ames vs Austin thing rather than a ISU vs Texas. Not surprising, but its not like the athletic department can just simply make the change when they want. I guess the recruiters need to brush up on cost of living and explain how far that $4800 goes in Austin.

The article didn't mention any SEC schools, but I assume that Alabama's cost of attendance suddenly went up to about $100,000 this year.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
So this is an Ames vs Austin thing rather than a ISU vs Texas. Not surprising, but its not like the athletic department can just simply make the change when they want. I guess the recruiters need to brush up on cost of living and explain how far that $4800 goes in Austin.

The article didn't mention any SEC schools, but I assume that Alabama's cost of attendance suddenly went up to about $100,000 this year.
I am curious on what some of those SEC schools are, because if its based on COL, a lot of those schools are probably giving less $$ than ISU.
COL in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Missouri, etc are all cheaper or equal to live in than Ames, IA.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This may work to our advantage in football. We are currently competing with upper tier Non-Power 5 conference schools for a large number of our recruits. This should give us a competitive advantage.

This isn’t going to happen; however, we should be able to pay our student athletes a larger stipend due to the number that have to fly rather than drive to get home. Average distance from home for your student athletes should be factored in.

Also, there should be no excuse for losing to a FCS school in football when we are allowed 85 scholarships compared to 63 plus a stipend to our football players of $2430/year ($202.50/month). Go Cyclones!!!

They are working on changes for family travel and such.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014

The Chronicle of Higher Education article mentioned in a previous post states the amount is for 9 months. So for ISU it would be $270/month. If a student attends all twelve months he would receive three more payments.

I agree with your FCS comment.

Also, ISU's payment is higher than Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State and competitive with Northwestern and Illinois.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-house-of-cards-if-education-cant-be-defended
The NCAA's required minimum high school GPA is going to increase in 2016 from 2.0 to 2.3, and high school athletes will be required to complete 10 of their 16 required core courses before their senior year of high school.Players who meet the old academic standards -- but not the new ones -- can receive an academic redshirt. It's a new version of the old partial qualifier with one important exception -- the player does not lose a year of eligibility. Academic redshirts can receive a scholarship and practice with their teams but cannot compete. If they pass nine credit hours in their first semester, they can compete the next season as a redshirt freshman.
More changes

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The Chronicle of Higher Education article mentioned in a previous post states the amount is for 9 months. So for ISU it would be $270/month. If a student attends all twelve months he would receive three more payments.

I agree with your FCS comment.

Also, ISU's payment is higher than Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State and competitive with Northwestern and Illinois.

That is surprising.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
I believe a stipend is in addition to the "Cost of Attendance." If the Big 12 allows a $5,000 stipend, that would be an additional $1,200,000 of expense for ISU. My recollection is JP's letter regarding the increased football/ticket prices stated something about possibly $2,000,000 in additional expense to cover the stipend and "Cost of Attendance."

If there is an additional stipend, there will be a greater incentive for players to choose ISU over Division 1 schools like Boise State and Tulsa as well as the FCS teams like UNI and North Dakota State.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron