Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Unless they've changed the program, those are volunteers. The state was seeking volunteer medical professionals when new test sites opened up a couple weeks ago.

Well, there should be plenty of medical professionals to volunteer as many have been let go or furloughed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Fingers crossed that I had it (immunity research pending before anyone quotes me with an article saying there's no immunity per the WHO and CDC like they've been consistent or reliable anyway).

If it was in FL in December, and deaths were in Cali in February, then I don't see how it wasn't in all sorts of other places.

2nd wave or peak happening now?

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

https://www.yahoo.com/news/evidence-suggests-coronavirus-likely-spreading-154500955.html

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
She just laid on pretty thick how businesses and churches are being responsible and how it is up to each person to do what they are comfortable with. Again, just my interpretation.

Yeah not arguing with you specifically, but if she's going to say those things, an example of what one business is doing may prompt others to get some ideas on how they want to go about things.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Fingers crossed that I had it (immunity research pending before anyone quotes me with an article saying there's no immunity per the WHO and CDC like they've been consistent or reliable anyway).

If it was in FL in December, and deaths were in Cali in February, then I don't see how it wasn't in all sorts of other places.

2nd wave or peak happening now?

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

https://www.yahoo.com/news/evidence-suggests-coronavirus-likely-spreading-154500955.html
If it was in Florida in December then I want to go back and suggest Iowa is going to have potentially weird results from the bowl game. It might explain why Story county has not had issues with it compared to Johnson county.

I will repeat that I don’t think we should make changes even if that is the case but it likely is going to cause noise in the data.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If it was in Florida in December then I want to go back and suggest Iowa is going to have potentially weird results from the bowl game. It might explain why Story county has not had issues with it compared to Johnson county.

I will repeat that I don’t think we should make changes even if that is the case but it likely is going to cause noise in the data.

Iowa was in San Diego, we were the ones in Orlando

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Definitely but the more information we can get, the more we know where things potentially stand.

Wasn't Johnson county more connected to a cruise?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Definitely but the more information we can get, the more we know where things potentially stand.

Wasn't Johnson county more connected to a cruise?
Yeah. I guess my thought is that maybe Story county had it go through with the less dangerous strain if we all brought it back from the bowl game. We had a lot more fans that went and I think our fans were a lot more centralized in central Iowa.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Once again, these tests won't tell you if you had it two months ago, they won't tell you if you get it 10 minutes later, they only tell you if you have it in this exact moment. So are we going to do a test every time you leave the house?
Do you get the idea of testing and contact tracing?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Lets say we test 100k Iowan's tomorrow and we determine that 3% currently have it. Then what? Make that number 5%. Then what? What about tomorrow? So we tell those 3,00 people to stay home. What about the other 2.9 million people in the state?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lets say we test 100k Iowan's tomorrow and we determine that 3% currently have it. Then what? Make that number 5%. Then what? What about tomorrow? What about the other 2.9 million people in the state?

You find those 3-5% and find out who've they've been around, and where they've been, and follow up and so on.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Lets say we test 100k Iowan's tomorrow and we determine that 3% currently have it. Then what? Make that number 5%. Then what? What about tomorrow? So we tell those 3,00 people to stay home. What about the other 2.9 million people in the state?

You can inform those people to quarantine. Hopefully you've been building up contract tracing ability and can inform those who have been in contact. Obviously, many will ignore the direction to stay home and not everybody with it will be tested or contacted, but if you can get some to avoid transmitting it to anyone you can start to get that R0 down and iterate down from there. Not a cure all, but there is no cure all at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron