Sweet Fancy Moses, Hawk all time great Connor McCaffery: back for 2022-23!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Don't get me wrong, Connor isn't good and I'm totally loving Connor getting trashed on twitter but the reality is, his minutes are more about the other bench guys than him. They have severe deficits as a team in the front court. At times, they have had Connor playing the 4, more or less because the two young bigs and Sandfort are an even bigger liability. It doesn't justify all of is minutes but I think the discussion should be more about how the roster is put together.

They are a big 10 team with a decent recent history, they could have attracted guys in the portal but didn't even really try. They are ok this year, give them a legit p6 big and it's a totally different team, in the tourney for sure. I feel like the Connor is the whipping boy for Fran's failure to catch up with the times and the fact that his seat is so comfy he doesn't have to worry. He's taking the beating for his father and Barta.
Connor would be a whipping boy if he wasn't a loudmouth whiner.

***Certified Freak***

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I was curious about how McCaffery's season compared historically, so I looked it up. Connor McCaffery is averaging the 10th fewest points per game of anyone who played in at least 15 games and 15 minutes per game since 2009-2010. Second fewest of any high major player. Also looks to have the second worst shooting efficiency of the 10 lowest scoring averages.

http://cbbref.com/tiny/4oRT4

It's good to have goals in life.

I laughed when the commentator last night said " after watching six years of Bohannan playing, I think I know his game".

Honestly the worst thing that could have happened to Iowa basketball this year was that Bohannan and Connor came back to play (or the best..dependent upon your allegiance).

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
It's good to have goals in life.

I laughed when the commentator last night said " after watching six years of Bohannan playing, I think I know his game".

Honestly the worst thing that could have happened to Iowa basketball this year was that Bohannan and Connor came back to play (or the best..dependent upon your allegiance).
I'm kinda glad they came back so they could feel what it's like to lose the Clones!

• Eggplant
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
6-11 kid that works his ass off to get open? Yep, my 10 year old would get that to him.

What kills me is Iowa fans went through a long phase claiming he wasn’t their point guard. He was starting and doing nothing but post feeding…what other position could he have been?

This year he’s a bad point guard off the bench. The previous 4 years was trying to start a bad player at point guard.

He’s obviously not a big man and a shooting guard has to shoot. Fran is so lucky Garza and Murrays overlapped Connor. If he played Connor all those minutes on losing teams without legit b10 star player he’d have a 0% approval rating instead of all these enablers.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Connor would be a whipping boy if he wasn't a loudmouth whiner.

***Certified Freak***
Wondering if anybody has the numbers on how many of those Certified Freak t-shirts with his name and number on the back sold. If the over/under was 20, you'd have to take the under, right?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What kills me is Iowa fans went through a long phase claiming he wasn’t their point guard. He was starting and doing nothing but post feeding…what other position could he have been?

This year he’s a bad point guard off the bench. The previous 4 years was trying to start a bad player at point guard.

He’s obviously not a big man and a shooting guard has to shoot. Fran is so lucky Garza and Murrays overlapped Connor. If he played Connor all those minutes on losing teams without legit b10 star player he’d have a 0% approval rating instead of all these enablers.
I remember at one point in time he was tops in the NCAA in A/TO ratio. It was dumb though, because he literally only came in the game to lob the ball up to lurch in the paint or kick it around the horn when the defense converged on big ugly.

Haven't looked, but would be shocked if that were the case this year.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Part of me will miss Connor and to a lesser extent Jorbo. The Hawks won't be near as fun to poke fun at next year unless another fake tough guy shows up. Who would the candidates even be on the current roster? Mulvey comes to mind, but he's not a lifelong Hawk fan or legacy. Maybe the Sandfort kid?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Part of me will miss Connor and to a lesser extent Jorbo. The Hawks won't be near as fun to poke fun at next year unless another fake tough guy shows up. Who would the candidates even be on the current roster? Mulvey comes to mind, but he's not a lifelong Hawk fan or legacy. Maybe the Sandfort kid?
I would assume Patrick will take the torch from his brother.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I would assume Patrick will take the torch from his brother.
I would have to assume so, although to this point in time, Patrick hasn't done anything to really indicate he'll wear the belt moving forward. Sure he has the last name McCaffrey, but the most cringey thing he's done to date is shoot that pizza commercial, which in a way was actually endearing.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Connor's greatest gift to us would be keeping the fouls above the points this year... You got this Connie Mac!