COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Really have strong doubts of any of the remaining 8 getting into the BiG. I just don't think they would see a viable measured response available. While we would strengthen a poor west we're not someone they can put on their marquee.

In the end I think the Pac takes 4 (8 would cause a power shift). 4 gives them the Midwest footprint to get their games in better time slots, effectively kills the Big XII moving them up the pecking order and finally limits any outside schools to power broker the conference.

I AGREE ....Iowa State has an outside chance of being taken by the Big Ten.....Geographically the BEST FIT FOR THE BIG TEN is Iowa State & West Virginia.....

The biggest problem that Kansas has is its Football Stadium was initially built around the turn of the CENTURY LIKE 1899.....& A FANBASE THAT HAS TO BUY SEASON FOOTBALL TICKETS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR SEASON BASKETBALL TICKETS!

The Big Ten is a FOOTBALL FIRST CONFERENCE & that really hurts KU's chances of being admitted into the B1G

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree with this. B1G is the optimal outcome. But I give it about a 15% chance of happening. The PAC option is probably the most likely outcome. A reconstituted Big XII is a very poor result for us and I would probably lose major interest in college sports, especially FB.

Yep. If we stay in a revamped Big12 that only adds some G5/6 teams..... I think that conference has no stability at all.... and I'd lose MAJOR interest in college football almost completely. Would no longer get tickets to ISU football and basketball.... and would not pay any subscription to watch them on TV too probably.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
What constitutes a P5 conference? Whose choice is it to make that distinction? The media? Just curious.
Call it what you will. The AAC claims ot be a P6 Conference! Point is that with 8 Big Xii Teams to start with, that conference will have a leg up on the AAC and MWC.

Additionally, if the Big Xii stays together, their contracts remain for the time being (Sugar Bowl tie-in, CCG, TV, etc.). If the Big Xii disolves, all of that goes away.

The Big East went through this for a few years. Cincinnati had an Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl invite as Big East Champions (after the big teams left) until the BCS contract expired. Still better than disolving and going to a non-Power Conference right away.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
That is where they have always wanted to be. Travel would be decreased since they are an east team now.
Actually, Mizzou is closer to more SEC East Teams than SEC West teams now. Kentucky, Tennessee and Vanderbilt are in bordering states. If Mizzou was in the West, the only border they share is with Arkansas. East and West are just names, but if you look at the SEC teams with a diagonal line throught the conference from the NW Corner to the SE Corner, the current divisons make sense.

That being said, they would border 4 B1G teams in 3 states if they moved to the B1G. 5 and 4 if KU came with them.

Last edited:

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
No one is getting kicked out. JFC.
If a week ago someone said the SEC is divesting itself of Vanderbilt and Mississippi State and replacing them with Texas and OU, would you be more surprised that a team was booted, or that a team was added?

When you were offered your new job, someone was booted.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I don’t think there is any definite definition. I think it comes down to what a network is willing to pay for the TV rights. If the Big 12 TV negotiation story is true, that ESPN wasn’t interested, then it sounds like the networks decide who is a P5.

Its definitely driven by media though and them forming a perception of the leagues competition value amongst its members. The SEC is a highly top heavy league, but the media would have you believe everyone in the conference is a super power team.
The difference is that they are not a two team top heavy league. They go much deeper than that, just not all in the same year (impossible).

They go 6 deep in National Championship Programs since 1980 (Alabama (7), Florida (3), LSU (3), Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee with 1 each), 5 deep in BCS Championship Programs since 1998 (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU and Tennessee) and 2 deep in CFP Championship Programs since 2014 (Alabama and LSU). That's deeper than any other Conference.

Last edited:

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I agree with this. B1G is the optimal outcome. But I give it about a 15% chance of happening. The PAC option is probably the most likely outcome. A reconstituted Big XII is a very poor result for us and I would probably lose major interest in college sports, especially FB.
Stop this.

ISU has one best option, and I believe our leaders are going to do everything that it takes to set that course of action in motion.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I would agree with this. Just don't see the Big Ten decision makers thinking we would bring in more income than our 1/16 share that we would take out. Hoping for the Pac option too.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
If a week ago someone said the SEC is divesting itself of Vanderbilt and Mississippi State and replacing them with Texas and OU, would you be more surprised that a team was booted, or that a team was added?

I doubt the SEC would ever boot a team. However, if Miss. State was booted, the Big Xii should offer them an instant invite. Vandy can come too, as Nashville is a fun town!

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
The complaining about ESPN+ is because they took those games from regular tv where everyone got them. They did this even though they said they wouldn’t. If you think there’s a lot of Iowa State people who wouldn’t sign up then how many for the big schools do you think are signing up. Fair weather fans regardless of fanbase aren’t going to convert. Our fanbases is intensely loyal. That will lead to a higher conversion rate.
Agreed. And the problem with Cyclones.TV was the lack of content and the production value. The biggest event on it every year was an FCS game where half the viewers would be buffering the whole game.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
A reconstituted XII is a death sentence. Not really an option at all. There will be P4 after this. We (literally) can't afford to be in the G5/G6.
Not so fast my friend - this needs to be option 3, with options 1&2 both having low probability for ISU. Might turn out be be our salvation, but requires most of the 8 to stick together. Tech to the p12 is the most likely of any bodies chances, then KU to the BIG. Okie State to the P12 seems quite possible too. Everybody else - ??????

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I would agree with this. Just don't see the Big Ten decision makers thinking we would bring in more income than our 1/16 share that we would take out. Hoping for the Pac option too.
Of course we would not bring in more than our share, but for every OSU that brings in more, there’s a team that brings in less. People need to realize that the media companies dictate this, because that’s where schools make their money. The media companies don’t give a **** if the per school revenue drops. They want inventory and want lots of games as long as they are profitable.

This is the same reason a small NFL type league probably won’t happen at all, and if it does it will be short lived.

Toyota makes a lot more on 4 runners than Corollas, so why make Corollas? Because they sell a hell of a lot and still make money on them. Disney family of channels has a ton of air time to fill and another idiot screaming hot takes doesn’t attract ad revenue. They need tons of games, and they’ll take anything that’s profitable. Minnesota -ISU wouldn’t be as profitable as tOSU-Penn State, but it would still be more profitable than something other than live NFL or CFB.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

By adding Texas and Ou the SEC just won the war. For the Big 10 and PAC 12 and ACC it’s now just up to them if they want to surrender now or keep fighting for awhile and surrender later. This was a checkmate move by the SEC that puts a ton of pressure on the other conferences.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I AGREE ....Iowa State has an outside chance of being taken by the Big Ten.....Geographically the BEST FIT FOR THE BIG TEN is Iowa State & West Virginia.....

The biggest problem that Kansas has is its Football Stadium was initially built around the turn of the CENTURY LIKE 1899.....& A FANBASE THAT HAS TO BUY SEASON FOOTBALL TICKETS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR SEASON BASKETBALL TICKETS!

The Big Ten is a FOOTBALL FIRST CONFERENCE & that really hurts KU's chances of being admitted into the B1G

In their latest rankings US News and World Report ranked WV #241 in the nation. No way in hell is the Big 10 taking a team ranked that low. EIU was ranked #88 and ISU was at #118.

Best Colleges in West Virginia | U.S. News Rankings (usnews.com)

Reactions: RocketCy

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Getting worried about the prospects of Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC jumping ship to the B1G. Could be B1G vs SEC and whoever doesn't make the cut is relegated to little kid table.

I see this as one of the longest shot scenarios. But even if it did happen, that leaves a lot of major schools looking for a home. I would rather join up with the leftovers of Colorado, Utah, AZ, ASU, Oregon, Washington plus a few of us left in the Big 12 than some option of adding Cincy, Houston, USF and UCF to rebuild the B12.

I'm fine with any scenario that lands us in a conference made up entirely of schools that are P5 today. Any scenario that involves promoting schools to fill spots is a non starter for me.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I see this as one of the longest shot scenarios. But even if it did happen, that leaves a lot of major schools looking for a home. I would rather join up with the leftovers of Colorado, Utah, AZ, ASU, Oregon, Washington plus a few of us left in the Big 12 than some option of adding Cincy, Houston, USF and UCF to rebuild the B12.

I'm fine with any scenario that lands us in a conference made up entirely of schools that are P5 today. Any scenario that involves promoting schools to fill spots is a non starter for me.
Yea, I suppose it could be worse but it really serves the interests of the larger schools if that occurs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Many times jobs are offered because business is growing and more help is needed.

OU and Texas are just there to boost business.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Yea, I suppose it could be worse but it really serves the interests of the larger schools if that occurs.

If the blue bloods are all going to hook up in one or two super conferences I guess I am assuming we don't make the cut for those. A now second tier league of P5 castaways is the best outcome for us in that scenario.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

Help Support Us

Become a patron