COLUMN: Simply put, 2017 success will depend on Jacob Park

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Nice work Chris! It is pretty hard to argue with what you put out there, but I am sure someone will try. :)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Without quality line play the QB is never going to be terribly accurate. There will be too many hurried throws, early throws, throws on the run and balls thrown away to save a sack to get much higher than the accuracy we are experiencing now. In addition if the line consistently can't buy time the defenses ISU face will know they can press and not have to worry about something developing over the top since there isn't time for that. That makes all of the throws you are making in more congestion and traffic with tighter coverage.

If the line is indeed upgraded then Park has a chance.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It's amazing that with the record we had in 2000, Sage had one of the worst percentages in the last 16 years.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I agree in general with this, because the signal caller has been the one that historically dictates how well we do. But I believe the more important positions to dictating that success is the OL.... Put Aaron Rodgers behind a swiss cheese line and the success won't translate... I know you started the column with this direction too. Up front in the trenches to me is really going to dictate how far we go, because with out depth and skill in those backbone areas (DL, OL...)the other positions don't have a chance. There are too many dependency on a good to marginal OL and DL.....

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Without quality line play the QB is never going to be terribly accurate. There will be too many hurried throws, early throws, throws on the run and balls thrown away to save a sack to get much higher than the accuracy we are experiencing now. In addition if the line consistently can't buy time the defenses ISU face will know they can press and not have to worry about something developing over the top since there isn't time for that. That makes all of the throws you are making in more congestion and traffic with tighter coverage.

If the line is indeed upgraded then Park has a chance.
I think we typed our same thoughts at the same time....

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If you have a great offensive line and a great running back er backs all you need is a qb who can hand them the ball....An oh hellsbells any offense is only as good as its Offensive Line.....

Go Cyclones Beat the purple haks

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's amazing that with the record we had in 2000, Sage had one of the worst percentages in the last 16 years.
That was a complete team with a good defense, a good offensive line and good skill position players. Sage had to be more of a game manager than a Seneca Wallace QB.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I like our top 6 OL. Stay healthy and we are in good shape. Our OL got a lot better as the year went on(and it started off a hell of a lot worse than this one looks). Our HC and OC know OL, they are more experienced this year and have been better coached a year longer.

I also think having LeCharles Bentley and his team continuously helping the OL is huge and very underrated.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
When you consider how the game of football has evolved, it's just flat out depressing that we haven't averaged 30 points a game in 41 years.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Like every other program, the offense lives on the backs of the o'line, not the QB. Adequate signal callers look like stars behind monster lines, while the opposite is also true. Park is probably an adequate QB by league standards. But it's how Jake Campos and the others in front of him develop as a unit that will make him better or worse than his credentials may indicate.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Good ol' 2003. Woof!

Even worse, 27% of ISU's points that season came in one game (48 points vs. Ohio).
Mother of God...

edit: Worst part is I was in school that year. I don't remember sucking that hard. Must have blocked it out due to the massive psychological trauma.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Help Support Us

Become a patron