COLUMN: My nightmares about ISU's O-Line in 2016

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Surely a welcome wrinkle to the community. I wonder how long before the locals eat him though....

Defense mechanisms will need to be in place after first loss......Also, I have not had ANY alcohol tonight....I'm just :eek4wd:weird:eek4wd:. Midwest weird!

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Surely a welcome wrinkle to the community. I wonder how long before the locals eat him though....
I predict a phalanx of protectors, with beer raised high in salute as well as in defense of his person, will surround tolfbfan when ever he might choose to make an appearance at an ISU football festivity. He has so warmed the cockles of our hearts (wait a second, I've got to look up "cockles" to make sure it's an appropriate word . . . yep, it's good) that he has become, in the view of so many, a full-fledged Cyclone partisan.

He's not unlike Winston Churchill, born of an American mother and an English father. Tolfbfan is part Toledo Rocket and ISU Cyclone, a fine mixture.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I predict a phalanx of protectors, with beer raised high in salute as well as in defense of his person, will surround tolfbfan when ever he might choose to make an appearance at an ISU football festivity. He has so warmed the cockles of our hearts (wait a second, I've got to look up "cockles" to make sure it's an appropriate word . . . yep, it's good) that he has become, in the view of so many, a full-fledged Cyclone partisan.

He's not unlike Winston Churchill, born of an American mother and an English father. Tolfbfan is part Toledo Rocket and ISU Cyclone, a fine mixture.

Do I have status needed to be President???? I was thinking of being a "WALK ON" candidate at the Republican Convention. It's short drive this year and I have a "PLAN".

phalanx: Don't know what it means, but I hope it means many.:th_Jttesur:

when ever he might choose to make an appearance at an ISU football festivity: Does that mean free beer and brats???? If so, It's only a 12 hour drive.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Do I have status needed to be President???? I was thinking of being a "WALK ON" candidate at the Republican Convention. It's short drive this year and I have a "PLAN".

phalanx: Don't know what it means, but I hope it means many.:th_Jttesur:

when ever he might choose to make an appearance at an ISU football festivity: Does that mean free beer and brats???? If so, It's only a 12 hour drive.

Phalanx is an ancient Greek battle tactic where shields are formed at a near impenetrable outer shell.

We take our brats pretty seriously up here.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
You can mask a bad OL with the right scheme(unless it's just very poor all the way across). We have a HC and OC who both excell with the OL, so I would assume they know what they are doing there. We've also brought in some pretty good OL prospects the last few years.

We have bookend OT's which is the most important(especially LT). We also have Scroggins who is more talented than Lalk who the staff was giving every chance to start last year but he just struggled to snap the ball efficiently enough before getting hurt. Obviously more talent doesn't always equal a better player, because Lalk ended up being pretty good.

Also Lanning and Warren were both in their first year starting, inexperience at both QB and RB easily adds more sacks.

I really don't feel too bad about the blocking with Campbell and Manning running the show.

Just expect some quicker passes and more help blocking. The better the OL plays the more they can open it up.
Scoggins better than Lalk? No. They wanted Scoggins to execute at C so Lalk could play G and pull. Scoggins never played so how would you compare anyway?! Lalk was forced to play C because Scoggins couldn't snap, then got hurt,

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
Scoggins better than Lalk? No. They wanted Scoggins to execute at C so Lalk could play G and pull. Scoggins never played so how would you compare anyway?! Lalk was forced to play C because Scoggins couldn't snap, then got hurt,

I agree. It's funny reading through this thread the amount of revisionist history that is in here. That coupled with the hope that is being placed on coach Manning to produce a miracle this year. I can get on board with the hope people, but I don't understand the lack of honest evaluation of players sometimes.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
In pass protection which is only one metric.

And you lost the best players. So now you think the OL will be better with two of the guys that played OT last year and guys that couldn't beat out the other guys mixed with two JUCOs?

69th in tackles for loss allowed, 48th in rushing offense, 66th in ypc. all pretty good since we became one dimensional once Lanning took over. Lalk was a 2nd team All Big 12 OL. We haven't seen that since KO was here. Lalk was a stud last year. Dagel and Burton were very good in the run game. Not so much in the pass game due to their knee/kne and elbow issues. Taiese was either great or bad in the run game but iSu had some big runs behind him.

So yes, the sacks allowed could stay the same and the run game could suffer.

I would add that I think that last year's unit was adequate to good at times in the rushing game, relative to our competition, and poor to very poor in the passing game. The strength was clearly run blocking and yet we were trying to force fit Mangino's Kansas short drop passing game the first half of the year to mixed to poor results.

We improved when we began to play more to the unit's strengths. The OL has been a mess for most of the previous regime, so just about anything will be an improvement in coaching, teaching and scheming.

It's one of the big storylines for Spring and heading into Fall camp. We desperately needed a grad transfer and a couple of Spring JUCOs and we only got 1 of the 3 (at this point). We may yet get a grad transfer, so that could help a lot. I don't want to have to rely on redshirt freshmen for anything beyond spot duty - that's screams of massive problems.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Playing Oline and playing it well is 90% technique and about 10% size. All these guys are over 280 so...size doesn't really matter. You can have a 250 LB stud DE whose technique is stellar just destroy a 320 Lb, strong, Tackle. That's why I'm not as worried as some. What worries me is lack of playing time. But a really good Oline coach can fundamentally change a bad, inexperienced Oline into at least a serviceable Oline.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I would add that I think that last year's unit was adequate to good at times in the rushing game, relative to our competition, and poor to very poor in the passing game. The strength was clearly run blocking and yet we were trying to force fit Mangino's Kansas short drop passing game the first half of the year to mixed to poor results.

We improved when we began to play more to the unit's strengths. The OL has been a mess for most of the previous regime, so just about anything will be an improvement in coaching, teaching and scheming.

It's one of the big storylines for Spring and heading into Fall camp. We desperately needed a grad transfer and a couple of Spring JUCOs and we only got 1 of the 3 (at this point). We may yet get a grad transfer, so that could help a lot. I don't want to have to rely on redshirt freshmen for anything beyond spot duty - that's screams of massive problems.
Define improved. Yards per play went down, total offense went down, scoring offense went down. Don't get me wrong, I liked the change but the results weren't great

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Playing Oline and playing it well is 90% technique and about 10% size. All these guys are over 280 so...size doesn't really matter. You can have a 250 LB stud DE whose technique is stellar just destroy a 320 Lb, strong, Tackle. That's why I'm not as worried as some. What worries me is lack of playing time. But a really good Oline coach can fundamentally change a bad, inexperienced Oline into at least a serviceable Oline.
I agree about technique being key but weight helps(it isn't most important). 280 is not big enough. It simply isn't. Tom Farniok would tell you he was too small his first two years. He was excited his Jr year to be playing at a stronger 295. Rather than 285-290. Jake Campos increasing his upper body strength will help him immensely. Love hearing the staff say this has been a plus of the hip injury.

To say weight doesn't matter is silly really. iSu plays in the Big 12. You need size and technique. If I were to give you one player weighing 285 who had great technique and mobility and a player weighing 300 with great technique and mobility, which would you take?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Define improved. Yards per play went down, total offense went down, scoring offense went down. Don't get me wrong, I liked the change but the results weren't great

Rushing average improved immensely. We were actually competitive and should have won more games. We blew a few games we should have won. Overall we were much better when we ran more of a ball control offense and Lanning at QB. Not much doubt about it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Rushing average improved immensely. We were actually competitive and should have won more games. We blew a few games we should have won. Overall we were much better when we ran more of a ball control offense and Lanning at QB. Not much doubt about it.

Don't get him going on Lanning again...