Column: Don't sleep on Sam

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Yes, a QB could be argued to have the biggest affect on the game but even at that he is only one of 22 starters that have to do their jobs to be successful; and that doesn't include all of the special teams players and backups who affect a team's chances. By the winning as a starter metric a QB who wins on a good team suddenly becomes a worse player when he goes to a woefully bad team that can't do anything.

Great point Velo. Football is the ultimate TEAM sport and really, it makes me cringe to even hear reporters or others talk about how many games each "QB won in his career." That's like saying Nolan Ryan is a bad pitcher because he is supported by a team with a .101 batting average, and because the team doesn't win more than it loses because they cannot score any runs, it's all on the Pitcher. There are so many factors for a QB to succeed, including the opponent's strength, the health and effectiveness of the OL, the ability to have a running game to take the pressure off the QB and passing game, and the ability of your defense to get you the ball back. Football is a more complex game than basketball because you have to rely more on each other to succeed as a team. I say that, having played both sports.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I get that. But these guys ARE playing for the same team, not one is better than the other. My issue is how the games are won/loss..Grant bringing us back to win the biggest comeback in school history on the road..with nothing on the line except to get our 3rd win of the whole year is impressive..now matter who your preference at QB is.

I agree, it was a great performance. Then how about giving Sam credit for the great performance of bringing the team back from behind (a deficit he didn't create) and putting up a nearly flawless effort in his very first college action. The dude went 23-27 for 250 yards, 4 TD's and no interceptions. The fact that he did it without starting - indeed never having started or even thrown a pass - makes it more impressive, not less. Yeah, it was a road game too.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I like both guys so I will be happy either way.

That being said this QB competition is much better than the one we had 3 short years ago when an incoming juco in Steele Jantz, an academically ineligible Jerome Tiller and a Redshirt Freshman Jared Barnett competed for the starting nod. I would say on paper it appears we are better off now.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I like both guys so I will be happy either way.

That being said this QB competition is much better than the one we had 3 short years ago when an incoming juco in Steele Jantz, an academically ineligible Jerome Tiller and a Redshirt Freshman Jared Barnett competed for the starting nod. I would say on paper it appears we are better off now.

I agree too for the most part. I definitely like both guys. I do think Sam, when healthy, gives us the best option to win-IF he mentally can put last year behind, which cannot be easy. I just have a soft spot for Sam to come back healthy, with a GREAT OC, a better OL, a lot of weapons and see how he does. I just don't think you should lose your job to injury and after CPR's comments, it is clear that was the case last year, as he was playing about 60% (in my estimation) from game one on. I have nothing against any of the others, but after the courage Sam showed in getting the crap beat out of him last year and not complaining about it, I believe if it is a tie, you go with Sam. With that said, I'm sure Coach Mangino will pick the best one, and will get my support either way.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not to make this sound too much like a Fred Hoiberg lovefest post but I have to say that I trust Mark to make the right call. Gotta trust his track record.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Guys, my intention was never to compare Sam and Grant. My statement was that Sam hasn't won many games. Thats it. Yes, Sam won that game at KU, on the road, with a way more healthy and successful team that year than what Grant was working with..and I'll say that WVU was better than KU was... I can go on and on if we try to compare the two QB's about things that are nearly impossible to compare..there is no right or wrong. All I was saying is that for as many games as Sam has started, he hasn't won very many...

And once again, I am in favor of SAM WINNING THE STARTING JOB. I wasn't comparing Sam and Grant, originally...all I said was that Sam hasn't produced wins...which is troubling..

And yes, I too played football...and baseball..and wrestled practically my whole life..I know exactly what makes a TEAM a TEAM and I know the difference when it is solo, and is on you to produce..IE wrestling..

But no matter how much you want to say otherwise..the QB is the most important position on the team. Decent teams can be good with a good QB..Decent teams can be bad with a bad QB. I will never change my mind on that. QB is the ultimate leader of the team in any sport.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I agree too for the most part. I definitely like both guys. I do think Sam, when healthy, gives us the best option to win-IF he mentally can put last year behind, which cannot be easy. I just have a soft spot for Sam to come back healthy, with a GREAT OC, a better OL, a lot of weapons and see how he does. I just don't think you should lose your job to injury and after CPR's comments, it is clear that was the case last year, as he was playing about 60% (in my estimation) from game one on. I have nothing against any of the others, but after the courage Sam showed in getting the crap beat out of him last year and not complaining about it, I believe if it is a tie, you go with Sam. With that said, I'm sure Coach Mangino will pick the best one, and will get my support either way.

This x1000. Great post! Just to say again :) ...I am in favor of Sam too..I agree that the fact that he played so hurt through the year is a sign of toughness and leadership. I just want it to turn into wins for him. I think he can and hope he does!

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Guys, my intention was never to compare Sam and Grant. My statement was that Sam hasn't won many games. Thats it. Yes, Sam won that game at KU, on the road, with a way more healthy and successful team that year than what Grant was working with..and I'll say that WVU was better than KU was... I can go on and on if we try to compare the two QB's about things that are nearly impossible to compare..there is no right or wrong. All I was saying is that for as many games as Sam has started, he hasn't won very many...

And once again, I am in favor of SAM WINNING THE STARTING JOB. I wasn't comparing Sam and Grant, originally...all I said was that Sam hasn't produced wins...which is troubling..

And yes, I too played football...and baseball..and wrestled practically my whole life..I know exactly what makes a TEAM a TEAM and I know the difference when it is solo, and is on you to produce..IE wrestling..

But no matter how much you want to say otherwise..the QB is the most important position on the team. Decent teams can be good with a good QB..Decent teams can be bad with a bad QB. I will never change my mind on that. QB is the ultimate leader of the team in any sport.

Don't worry I understood what you meant.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
And the fact he never used it as an excuse is even better. I admire the kid for that, just want him to produce some wins!! (PS - I think we win 6 games this year. Yes, I said it.)

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Pointing out SR hasn't won many games is like blaming the guy shoveling coal on the Titanic for not seeing the iceberg. It wasn't like we were some great team that only needed a decent QB.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Pointing out SR hasn't won many games is like blaming the guy shoveling coal on the Titanic for not seeing the iceberg. It wasn't like we were some great team that only needed a decent QB.

I don't remember blaming Sam for the losses..
I did say he was the QB for all of those losses though.. Two different things.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Lot of people really like Sam! (me too).... didn't realize it would be such a 70/30 thing ...

It isn't anything against Rohach I don't think. I think a lot of us just believe Richardson has gotten a bum deal do far. If Rohach is the guy I will get behind him.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

No worries, understood. I wasn't intending to isolate anyone in particular regarding my comments about it being a team sport. I have heard that W/L argument many times by multiple people, and the fact is, Sam and Grant have won the same number of games, two, so that really should not be an argument about whether one starts over the other. You could make the argument that Sam easily could have 3 more wins under his belt (he played more than well enough to lead his team to wins in the 2013 Texas and 2012 WV games in particular). I've heard others make their case about the W/L record of the QB's being the only deciding factor, when in reality, it is much more complex than that. When you consider they really both have led the team to two wins, then it's a moot point anyway.

Last edited:

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Hope Sam is the guy but I will not be disappointed if Mangino goes with Grant. I believe a healthy SR behind a healthy OL gives us a better chance to win right now. Having said that, GR is right on his heels and has potential to be the better QB in the long run. I can see why some posters are saying QB competitions are getting annoying but having two viable options compete and push each other to get better is not a bad problem to have.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't think its going to be about who's better between SR/GR but more about what kind of identity this offense wants to have. That's a big reason the QB has been a revolving door the last 3 years, the offense has had no identity. Personally Im leaning a bit more towards Rohach bc I think he's better suited to use the playmakers we have at WR/TE and take a little pressure off the QB spot but I think the advantage Sam has over Rohach is that he can win a game (or lead a GW drive) on his own.

Mangino knows what he's doing and I'm content with either guy playing, I think we can win games with either. In all honesty I think we'll see both of these guys throughout the season. Both guys have things they do better than the other but Im not sure you can find enough in the game tape to say one guy is clearly better than the other.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Honestly I don't see much that separates the 2, other than a mustache. Much more important for one of them to gain some confidence and stay healthy.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
I might be in the minority here but I thought Richardson was quite a bit better than Rohach last year. With our pass protection it was hard for anyone to be successful but it seemed like Sam was able to get more from what was there to me. Playing hurt and knowing he had 2 seconds to get a pass off clearly hurt his confidence but I hope Mangino is able to re-harness some of his production from the end of 2012.

Whoever the guy is, we need them to be more productive. Has just as much to do with the WR and especially O-line play as it does improving our Grant or Sam.

I agree with you.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Doesn't matter who wins it now, it's already disappointing that there isn't a clear leader.

It's the story we all know. Two mediocre QBs, with different flaws and strengths. A close race, no obvious winner means fans will just call for the backup to get a chance after our starter has a few bad games.

I bet, like always, we have more than one starting QB this season.