Column: Don't sleep on Sam

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
You sure about that?

Wow, someone's getting their internet tough guy pants on today. How about if you have something to share you share it? Otherwise it's just everyone's opinion and really it only matters who the coaches name as #1.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
How can you NOT choose Sam after this!

[video=youtube;H6hvOcsXdm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6hvOcsXdm8&list=UUOzN9D4MUO5jYbCSEE2iYEA[/video]

(Yeah, I know it was Kansas, but DANG he looked good that night ...)

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Based on this thread, and Rhoads remark that Rohach and Richardson are neck and neck, I expect another season of CF second guessing who is at QB all season long.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I think a lot of people forget that Sam has never won a game as a starting QB. Don't get me wrong, I like Sam a lot, and think he brings probably the most versatility at the position. But that stat should not be overlooked...

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I think a lot of people forget that Sam has never won a game as a starting QB. Don't get me wrong, I like Sam a lot, and think he brings probably the most versatility at the position. But that stat should not be overlooked...

He beat Tulsa in the rubber match, but this is still depressing.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

Did he not start vs. Tulsa last year? The WV game could have been a win if it wasn't for a Woody fumble on the 2 in 2012. The Texas game should have been a win for multiple reasons. And he played 98% of the Kansas game in 2012, so that argument doesn't hold water in my opinion. If we hold onto the onside kick in Lubbock last year, that game could have went into OT. The issue is not with Sam, the issue is with last year's OL and the former OC.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

And if Texas had gone the other way would that change your opinion of him?

Do you think we wouldn't have beaten Kansas or West Virginia if he had been under center?

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Did he not start vs. Tulsa last year? The WV game could have been a win if it wasn't for a Woody fumble on the 2 in 2012. The Texas game should have been a win for multiple reasons. And he played 98% of the Kansas game in 2012, so that argument doesn't hold water in my opinion. If we hold onto the onside kick in Lubbock last year, that game could have went into OT. The issue is not with Sam, the issue is with last year's OL and the former OC.

You guys' are right. I forgot about Tulsa. So he has 1 win as a starting QB...

Like I said don't get me wrong. I like his skill set the most, but winning games says a lot about the team leader...which (in no doubt) a QB is/should be. All of those could've, should've, would'ves don't mean anything but losses. A good QB finds ways to win those games. Period.

Not to contradict myself here, but I hope Sam wins the job and proves me wrong. I think he has a noticeably stronger arm than year's past..and with his skill set, I think he can win us a lot of games (especially with the talent we have on O). But the lack of games he has won as a starter is troubling no matter how you want to spin it.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I'm just glad that the redshirt freshman with no experience is not the second option should the starter go down. Both Sam and Grant are bigger, healthy and will be playing for an OC who actually knows what he is doing. I don't care which starts, I don't get the ******* match some like to have about that, and I think both guys will get plenty of snaps this year.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Like I said don't get me wrong. I like his skill set the most, but winning games says a lot about the team leader...which (in no doubt) a QB is/should be. All of those could've, should've, would'ves don't mean anything but losses. A good QB finds ways to win those games. Period.

Not to contradict myself here, but I hope Sam wins the job and proves me wrong. I think he has a noticeably stronger arm than year's past..and with his skill set, I think he can win us a lot of games (especially with the talent we have on O). But the lack of games he has won as a starter is troubling no matter how you want to spin it.

Follow up question... do you think any of the games we lost last year would have been wins if Rohach had been the starting QB?

I don't.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

Get what you are saying, but take away the "what if" games, ie Texas, WV and Tech (none of what happend was his fault in any of those 3 games), and in my opinion you give him the Kansas win in 2012 because HE LIT them up, and as I said, played 98% of the game. To say otherwise, is simply a technicality as Steele got knocked out right away. By that reasoning, he has also won 2 games.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
And if Texas had gone the other way would that change your opinion of him?

Do you think we wouldn't have beaten Kansas or West Virginia if he had been under center?
No we wouldn't have beaten WVU. Not because of anything other than he was hurt. A healthy Sam could've beaten them maybe but the fact is he hasn't won games like that. That's my whole point. I think he is the best overall QB we have (right now), but the fact that he hasn't won hardly any games is troubling. I don't know why this is hard to understand.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Get what you are saying, but take away the "what if" games, ie Texas, WV and Tech (none of what happend was his fault in any of those 3 games), and in my opinion you give him the Kansas win in 2012 because HE LIT them up, and as I said, played 98% of the game. To say otherwise, is simply a technicality as Steele got knocked out right away. By that reasoning, he has also won 2 games.

Good point, very good point. I think we have to legit QB's that could play in the BIG12 this year. That is a GOOD thing. I just want our QB's to step up enough to produce some more wins.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Wow, someone's getting their internet tough guy pants on today. How about if you have something to share you share it? Otherwise it's just everyone's opinion and really it only matters who the coaches name as #1.
I don't understand what I did to be labeled internet tough guy but alright. Just going off what I had seen and heard in the spring. People that have been around the summer scrimmage probably do know more. Also, thanks for pointing out that it's the coaches decision. I was totally unaware of that. :rolleyes:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Yes, a QB could be argued to have the biggest affect on the game but even at that he is only one of 22 starters that have to do their jobs to be successful; and that doesn't include all of the special teams players and backups who affect a team's chances. By the winning as a starter metric a QB who wins on a good team suddenly becomes a worse player when he goes to a woefully bad team that can't do anything.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Yes, a QB could be argued to have the biggest affect on the game but even at that he is only one of 22 starters that have to do their jobs to be successful; and that doesn't include all of the special teams players and backups who affect a team's chances. By the winning as a starter metric a QB who wins on a good team suddenly becomes a worse player when he goes to a woefully bad team that can't do anything.

I get that. But these guys ARE playing for the same team, not one is better than the other. My issue is how the games are won/loss..Grant bringing us back to win the biggest comeback in school history on the road..with nothing on the line except to get our 3rd win of the whole year is impressive..now matter who your preference at QB is.