COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Will never forget the Tinsley comment when asked about pressure in the last few minutes of a game, to which he responded: "You've never been to one of our practices. Have you?"
Both Hoiberg and Prohm have had intense practices. I mean literally last year there was a practice which resulted in multiple fights lol. The problem is the narrative was then "Coach Prohm has lost the team" when that happened.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
What you are saying would be putting us right back into the spot we were with Rhoads and his buy out. Allowing Prohm one more season, buys Pollard and the univeristy time.
If the program is turning around next year and we are in the fight for the NCAA's you offer him a short extension, if we are in this same situation 12 months from now you can him.

Whether ISU/Pollard believe in Prohm and is worth the money really does not matter, its a success driven business and without winning, we cannot afford to keep Prohm around. At the end of the season, Pollard needs to sit Prohm down and tell him that, we see improvement or we will be shopping for a new coach.
Is that you Donald?

• Creative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
In CW's write up he mentioned "grit" and to me in last night's game and really all season Grill has shown just that and that is something this team desperately needs. I like what Grill brings and with more experience he will be a very solid role player or maybe even a starter. Every team needs one of those work your rear off, high energy guys that is willing to do what needs to be done (glue guy) Grill may be that guy.
One thing I noticed about Grill is he's always moving his feet and his eyes to keep his opponent closer. Whereas some other players seem to give their opponents more space to lesson that effort.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
No, I doubt the poster knows of a "fundamental" or "tactic" that Prohm lacks knowedge in, if it hit him in the face. See, he didn't answer my question.
Sure, fans can judge coaches on success, like too few wins, and too many losses. Like even Pollard has a right to. But reading all of these posters (99% have never played even high school basketball, let alone ever coach) evaluating Prohm's "knowledge of the game" - is hilarious. As if they know...

I think just a big an issue is posters who don't have this experience and knowledge assuming no one else does either.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It does if you know the game.
Well sure. If you really know what you're talking about and you also watch the games you're going to be able to come up with some valid points. The average fan, who pretends to know what they're talking about or think they know what they're talking about, don't come up with valid points.

Reactions: heitclone

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
There are plenty of players that have either developed under Coach Prohm, or would've developed under Coach Prohm but left early. Do you know how many guys just flat out don't pan out? An absolute TON of them. It happens at KU, it happens at Kentucky, it happens at every single university. The messages and fundamentals coach's teach don't translate to every single player you recruit! They just don't. That's the reality of it. You have 13 scholarship players. Usually only 8-9 of them end up being playable guys that 100% absorb the information and fully buy into what the coaches are teaching and can play significant minutes. Or maybe they're able to absorb the information but their talent level has either diminished or they haven't put in the work outside of normal practice hours to enhance their abilities and therefore fall further behind.

Prohm was building his roster and his recruiting classes for last year's and this year's teams to be very good, however significant contributors left and he was forced to recruit and build a roster on the fly. Barring Halliburton leaving last year, we essentially had the worst possible case happen in all three of THT, Lindell and Lard leaving. Prohm decided to use a scholarship on a sit one-play two guy and used two other scholarships on guys that ended up not being the right fit. In the end, those guys leaving ended up giving Prohm the opportunity to bring in some of next year's class, a class that is built to fix the current problems we are seeing on a game in game out basis.

Good analysis, I agree that the staff didn't anticipate THT and Lard going pro and off this years roster thus going after developmental players in Anderson, Leech, Jackson and Grill. It made some sense, likely high 4 stars and sit out transfers looked to be blocked by them (possibly Lindell too). The error was once Maui happened and Lards off the court issues persisted the staff didn't change the strategy early enough. The staff did get Bolton to replace Wigginton but obviously the 4 freshman were going to be able to fill THT and Lard's roles. Obviously the staff was a bit stuck and unable to pull scholarships from signed freshman before they get to campus. I will give credit to Prohm by not doubling down and keeping all 4 when it was appearent 2 likely couldn't contribute next year. It allowed replacing them with top 100 talents in Blackwell and Foster who should be able to play early and hopefully improve next year's outlook.
Lesson here is Prohm not taking a full class of developmental players moving forward and be left with holes and no avenues to fill them. The goal should be to have a couple of top 125ish and up freshman who can come in and play early if needed and then they can take a developmental project. I would also recommend holding 1 scholarship until the spring to either take a JuCo or high level grad transfer if the roster dictates it or if they don't need an immediate impact player add a high level sit out transfer for a long term need.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
You can preach fundamentals all day long, but the kids still have to go out there and execute them correctly. Against high level competition, even the slightest mess up can result in a negative outcome. Prohm and this staff teach fundamentals, but some of our players haven't exactly displayed them correctly. Some kids just can't do it at all because their high school never taught them the basics. They may end up working out the kinks but they may not. Some are fundamentally sound but there are times when the high level competition diminishes the fundamentals. There are also the guys who practice the fundamentals and are perfect in practice but once the bright lights come on, those fly out the window.

We have guys on this team that are not cut out to play this level of basketball night in and night out. Prentiss Nixon is not a Big 12 starting guard. He should be playing minutes that Hallice Cook did here back in the day. Mike Jacobson is a nice player, actually very fundamentally sound, but the reality is that he probably should not be playing the minutes he does at the current 4 position in the Big 12. Terrence just hasn't figured it out and it's probably safe to say at this point he probably never will. He's such a liability on defense and his inability to know the sets on offense completely negates his offensive scoring abilities. Who knows on Zion. He's athletic enough to play at this level but he's out of control on offense and hasn't figured out how to be a weapon on defense yet.

Tre Jackson and Caleb Grill were thrown to the wolves this year. Both of them were not ready at all but we needed bodies. This could end up helping them in the long run and both of them look like they could be figuring it all out. They're probably the best defenders on the team at the guard position and they're freshman, which is a very good sign. Solomon Young struggled at times but has ended up being the most solid player on this team besides a healthy Tyrese. He's very fundamentally sound and does a lot of nice things. He will be a very nice senior to have next year. Conditt defensively is there. He's probably one of the best shot blockers in the nation but his offensive production has dipped and he's still getting into foul trouble which decreases his minutes. He's opened up his game a bit more offensively and I think doing that is going to drastically increase how he's used on offense. Bolton is good, but he's raw. There's so much talent and athleticism there and I think he's going to end up being very good for us in the future. Getting him off the point guard position is going to help him a lot and open up his driving and shooting abilities. Defensively, he'll get there.

To round this all out.. We just don't have the horses this year. Guys are playing a lot of minutes that are either not cut out for this level at all, or still need time to get better and develop their games. The subtraction of a couple of guys and the addition of high level athletic talent is going to completely change how this team is next year. We need one more piece to fall in JUCO or grad transfer and this team and program will be playing at a high level once again. Good things are coming.
Who would you say is responsible for not having the horses this year?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Who? Don't say Naz or Matt Thomas. You could see the potential right away with those two, and they were still way better as freshman than the underclassmen ISU has now.
Naz was godawful his first year here. Of the 3 guards in that class with Niang, between Okoro, SDW, and Naz, if you told me only one of them would make it at any point during or shortly after that season, I would never have guessed it would be Naz.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who would you say is responsible for not having the horses this year?
Oh it's on Prohm there's no doubt about that. Even if there were guys that left early or guys didn't pan out, it's still on the coach. Prohm's recruiting style the past few years has not exactly worked wonders so far. Sure we've gotten some really good players but if they leave in one or two years and you don't have a plan for those circumstances, you're not setting yourself up well for sustained success. We're not a program that can consistently reload with high end talent year after year.

Fred had some successful teams his 2nd and 3rd years but his 4th and 5th years were so much better because he had recruits that had been in the system for multiple years compounded with a couple of transfers. That's how Coach Prohm is going to succeed here and I think he's a good enough recruiter to do that. To get from being a good team to a great team though is on Prohm himself. The X's and O's, rotations, in game-management type stuff.. Those are things that separate a 2nd round - Sweet 16 team from an Elite 8 - Final 4 team.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Everyone is qualified to have an opinion. JFC. We must be getting to the end game.

My opinion is that CSP is in over his head as a leader, and his teams underperform relative to talent. It's possible he could learn and improve (e.g. Scott Drew) but I'm not super confident about that, based on my observations over the past few years.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Everyone is qualified to have an opinion. JFC. We must be getting to the end game.

My opinion is that CSP is in over his head as a leader, and his teams underperform relative to talent. It's possible he could learn and improve (e.g. Scott Drew) but I'm not super confident about that, based on my observations over the past few years.
Everyone can have an opinion, yes, but that doesn't mean the opinion is valid lol. I could have an opinion on biological engineering but that doesn't mean that anything that I say or think will be taken seriously..

Also tell me, besides last year's team.. what other team has Steve Prohm coached that has underperformed relative to their talent?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Everyone can have an opinion, yes, but that doesn't mean the opinion is valid lol. I could have an opinion on biological engineering but that doesn't mean that anything that I say or think will be taken seriously..

Also tell me, besides last year's team.. what other team has Steve Prohm coached that has underperformed relative to their talent?

That first team was 2011 Kentuckyesque according to the coaches on cf.

Nm that they refuse to answer simple questions about it. Group think must prevail.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That first team was 2011 Kentuckyesque according to the coaches on cf.

Nm that they refuse to answer simple questions about it. Group think must prevail.
I'm not sure if they don't want to answer the question or if they haven't seen the notification yet.. But I'm honestly wondering besides last year, where they believe Prohm has underachieved. Last year we probably underachieved during the Big 12 going only 9-9. We probably should've been better than that but I don't think we were better than Tech or K-State when they were fully healthy. We also definitely underachieved in the NCAA tournament by one game. We should've been in the second round for sure, but to say we would've automatically beaten Houston or even gone on and beat Kentucky in the Sweet 16 would be pretty wishful thinking.

So was it Prohm's first year as the head coach where he basically had 6 Big 12 caliber players, went to the Sweet 16, and ended the season ranked #22? Was it the following year where we had a great Big 12 record, won the Big 12 Tournament, lost by inches to the best Big 10 team and ended the year ranked #16? I don't think we underachieved in either season honestly.

Two years ago and this year we haven't underachieved. We weren't better than our record two years ago and we're not better than our record currently. Both years are disappointing for sure but not underachieving.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It sucks that THT went pro earlier than anyone had anticipated, and we are paying for that now. But, as soon as TH went and won in Europe, you had to see that the NBA was going to be an option for him after this year. Prohm needs to get better at managing a roster. Know what you have for sure coming back and what you need and then go get it. I kind of feel like communication with the players is an issue, because he doesn't seem to have any idea what the guys are thinking and therefore can't plan for the future accordingly.

Next year's team needs a starting PG and a scoring wing. Whether that's JUCO or grad transfer. If Prohm can fix that, he's going to get fired after next season.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Agree. Kansas has definitely shown how this is done.

Cough

tenor.gif

"We good?"

******* cheaters.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
It sucks that THT went pro earlier than anyone had anticipated, and we are paying for that now. But, as soon as TH went and won in Europe, you had to see that the NBA was going to be an option for him after this year. Prohm needs to get better at managing a roster. Know what you have for sure coming back and what you need and then go get it. I kind of feel like communication with the players is an issue, because he doesn't seem to have any idea what the guys are thinking and therefore can't plan for the future accordingly.

Next year's team needs a starting PG and a scoring wing. Whether that's JUCO or grad transfer. If Prohm can fix that, he's going to get fired after next season.

Yes but he is then also counting on an 18 yo in the case of THT to make up his mind in a timely manner. THT may not have had any idea until he talked to some scouts and teams what he was going to do or see where he was projected to go. This year with TH is a little different and you can tell, because even though technically we don't have any open spots, unless TH leaves or there is attrition, he is still openly recruiting.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron