(Cole Bair) Mark Farley quote

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Beating an FBS team matters for their playoff situation?

I just thought it was just standings among those conferences.

More than half the field are at large teams chosen by a selection committee.

Reactions: mwitt

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Is anyone saying they hate him?

Maybe 'hate' is too strong of a word.

I just thought his bad day had more to do with the defense he was going against. Put Tom Brady behind a bad OL with no running game to speak of... and playing against a great defense... and suddenly he doesn't look like the best NFL QB ever anymore.

I think Theo will go on to have a pretty good year honestly... playing against weaker defenses than ISU has.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I read an account of Farley's comments. I don't really care what he said about ISU, because his concern obviously is his own football team. But, he was blaming his players. I believe if a coach believes his team played poorly, he should credit the opponent and shoulder the blame himself for not having his guys ready to play and giving them the game plan and coaching to be the best they can be. That not only shows more class, but I believe it is far better for improvement of the team's performance.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Cole from CR Gazette just said on Kxno that Farley told him that Theo Day from UNI is the best QB in the State.

Have not seen him play. Farley's coach speak aside, how's his game?
Haha I was hoping this thread was going to pop back up today

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
They couldn’t use money from the ISU paycheck for the buy game?
He doesn't get to keep any of that money. It goes to the general athletics budget

I'm not going to cave this obviously but it's just this state's refusal to fund the universities catching up. Our Valley peers get $10-12M from the state making up about 65% of their budgets. UNI gets $3.9M and 32% of the budget.

I know Mark struggles in public with expressing things but when you get him in a calmer situation, he's very appreciative that Iowa State continues to schedule him. Saves him a ton on travel.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Between that comment, the "maybe their defense was better than we thought they were", and the "best game in the state" comment, I think Farleys true feelings about Big 12 football and Iowa State showed through a little bit this year through the otherwise standard complimentary coach speak he peppers in every once in a while to mask it. He doesn't think nearly as highly of either as he should.

He seemed genuinely very upset with this game and really didn't say anything like "ISU was a really good football team" or "Campbell/Heacock do a tremendous job" like we hear from other opponents. Compare it to a Big 12 opponent HC post-game and the difference is jarring. Even KF doesn't lay it on as thick as Farley did yesterday.

Purple Hok BS.
Farley is a d!ck hole.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
He doesn't get to keep any of that money. It goes to the general athletics budget

I'm not going to cave this obviously but it's just this state's refusal to fund the universities catching up. Our Valley peers get $10-12M from the state making up about 65% of their budgets. UNI gets $3.9M and 32% of the budget.

I know Mark struggles in public with expressing things but when you get him in a calmer situation, he's very appreciative that Iowa State continues to schedule him. Saves him a ton on travel.
And fills the coffers. How much does UNI receive for playing ISU? Also he does come off as as having a prick-ly attitude.

Last edited:

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

If he appreciates it he needs to show it publicly. I’m an UNI and ISU alum. I could give 2 ***** about UNI

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

“Credit them. Maybe they were better than I thought they were.”

Eat **** Farley
I think Farley truly believed he had an elite team on his hands and was shocked and disappointed by the score. Let's look at the evidence. He had the best offense, hands down in FCS last year and most of those pieces were coming back, including the all-conference QB and not one but two speedsters at wideout. His defense was supposed to be markedly improved, especially along the D line, where he had more depth than he has ever had, including 6 players who were either returning starters or had started in the past before injury.

His kicking game was supposed to be one of the best in the nation with an all conference guy returning at PK. The only possible areas of weakness were the O-line, where only one starter returned, but another guy who had started in the past before injury was also returning and when has UNI ever had a lousy O-line? The other possible area of weakness was the back 7 on defense, where only three starters returned.

I think he believed that his elite offense could overcome any deficiencies in his defense, if there were going to be any, until reality smacked him in the face.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

That's not how it works.... part of the game check goes to transportation and hospitality, or in some cases, the host school pays for the accommodations and transportation for the visiting school. It's part of the contract.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
That's not how it works.... part of the game check goes to transportation and hospitality, or in some cases, the host school pays for the accommodations and transportation for the visiting school. It's part of the contract.
Maybe that's how other schools use it but UNI takes that check from Iowa State, or whoever, and it all goes to the athletic budget. Mark doesn't get a dime of it for football. UNI gets nothing from Iowa State for transportation or anything else.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Maybe that's how other schools use it but UNI takes that check from Iowa State, or whoever, and it all goes to the athletic budget. Mark doesn't get a dime of it for football. UNI gets nothing from Iowa State for transportation or anything else.
That's literally what we did for SEMO and Ohio last year and did for Drake as well a few years back, so it wouldn't be any different with UNI. No head coach sees any of that money as well, so I'm not sure why you think they would at other schools.

Reactions: isufbcurt