Coin Collection & Appraisal

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Anybody have advice on how / where to get an honest appraisal for a coin collection?

I cleaned out my parents attic and found a bunch of these US and Foreign coins, but I have no idea if one is a rare find, or if there's any one with +face value? Would a bank still accept a Buffalo Nickel, or a Liberty Silver Dollar?

attachment.php

Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 498

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
there is a coin shop in Ames and one on Hickman in DSM. Take them there. Also check online as that is probably your best bet to see their true value.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
A bank would give you face value. I would find a good site online to start with, and look them up one by one. Condition is everything, so for instance, that quarter wouldn't be worth much beyond the silver content because it has lost most definition. A good site should have grading specifications too, and is pretty clear for the average guy to grade within a grade or so of actual.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Those Morgan dollars don't look like they are in too good of condition unless they are a rare date. If you are in the Des Moines area I would recommend Chirstopher's on Merle Hay Road. Otherwise, take them to three different local coin shops and see if they all say about the same thing and give similar quotes. You can also look to buy something that is similar on a website like www.apmex.com to compare to the buy prices.

After looking a little closer that small one to the right of the quarter could be a pre-1993 gold piece like this one . If it is gold that would probably be the most valuable of those coins.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have a 1944 quarter just like that. They are made of something different. They feel weird.

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
Hi. We conduct coin auctions monthly; can tell you everything that you want to know about them if you are in the area. For example, on Saturday we sold approximately 100 Morgan Dollars (like yours below); none went for less than $27.50...most for more...one went for over $4000.

Here's our website with contact info (we are in Ankeny):
andreasauctions.com

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The gold piece is worth something.
Whatever you do do NOT clean them with anything. You will ruin am value they have.
Flip over the Morgan dollars and see if there is a mint mark below the eagle. Either an O, S, or CC. I can't quite make out the years on my phone. They look well circulated so any shot at being worth more than $24 or so will depend on year/mint mark.
Take them to Stamps and Stuff, Christopher's or Chesters. All are reputable.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
After looking a little closer that small one to the right of the quarter could be a pre-1993 gold piece like this one . If it is gold that would probably be the most valuable of those coins.

Yes, I do know it's a gold piece, and the date stamp is 1900. On the back, it reads, "Five D"; does that mean it is 5-dollars? Or does the D = Denver Mint?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
The gold piece is worth something.
Whatever you do do NOT clean them with anything. You will ruin am value they have.
Flip over the Morgan dollars and see if there is a mint mark below the eagle. Either an O, S, or CC. I.

No mint mark on any of the Dollars; the oldest is dated to 1881 and I have 9 others with dates from 1884 to 1890.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Hi. We conduct coin auctions monthly; can tell you everything that you want to know about them if you are in the area. For example, on Saturday we sold approximately 100 Morgan Dollars (like yours below); none went for less than $27.50...most for more...one went for over $4000.

Here's our website with contact info (we are in Ankeny):
andreasauctions.com

I live in Houston, but would certainly welcome to give a fellow Cyclone some business. I've never dealt with coins before, so why wouldn't a 'Dealer' here in town just lie to me - I would have no idea of the value is a true appraisal. For all I know I could have the coin equivalent of a Jason Pollack (or whatever his name).

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Yes, I do know it's a gold piece, and the date stamp is 1900. On the back, it reads, "Five D"; does that mean it is 5-dollars? Or does the D = Denver Mint?
Liberty head. Five dollars. Could be worth anywhere from $300 to over $1000 depending on condition. The Morgans are probably all common date. Check for 1893,94, or 99. Otherwise circulated common Morgans are going for around $24 to $45 right now. Again depending on condition.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Also by the looks of that quarter it is worth about 3.25 at current silver prices. Common partial date buffalo nickels could fetch you around .50 each on a good day. Of course some are worth more than others.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If you took the under on the 10 post line before a reference to a Gene Chizik coin, you just lost.
Coincidentally my boy found our old chizik coin today while going through a junk drawer.

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
I saw that you were in Houston...thought maybe your "collection" was found up here. We do sell for out of State clients...have had collections mailed to us from Arizona, Ohio, Florida, and other places. Happy to put them into a sale for you if you would like. The advantage is that collectors will be bidding against each other...so you typically realize prices on the higher end of the spectrum (as opposed to just selling them with no idea how to price them given condition, etc.).

Let us know if we can help....I'll tell the husband to give you the Cyclone Fanatic discount...LOL! If you need references let me know....you can look at past auctions on our website to see dozens of past coin sales.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
attachment.php
Father in law has been giving these to my daughters the last few Christmases. Says they are worth "A lot of money." I'm not sure our definitions of "a lot of money" are the same though

Attachments

• IMG_2641.JPG
    IMG_2641.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 105