doesn’t mean we want that coach

it’s a different level and that is where Phrom is/was “successful”

you’re comparing apples to desk lamps

• Dumb
Reactions: WhoISthis

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Records like that don't mean anything unless you get to the NCAA's. Belmont just went 27-3 I think and won't make the tourney. I don't see their coach in hot demand.

Only reason he isn't in demand is because he's out and out said he's a Belmont lifer. Won't even entertain looking at other jobs. He's a mid-major guy happy where he's at.

The Rick Byrd, Bob McKillop, Ben Jacobson wing of coaches.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You consider a homerun hire someone like Prohm that doesn’t know how to coach X’s & O’s and needs to bring in someone else To help? Hard pass on that brother.
It could work if you bring in the right assistants. Hoiberg had Bobby Lutz and Sadler who both had head coaching experience at major programs to get him started.

Prohms assistants seem just as incompetent as he is. Their is a reason ive never heard of any of them or why none have left for better jobs.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It could work if you bring in the right assistants. Hoiberg had Bobby Lutz and Sadler who both had head coaching experience at major programs to get him started.

Prohms assistants seem just as incompetent as he is. Their is a reason ive never heard of any of them or why none have left for better jobs.
The one good one did leave for Texas and we’ve sucked ever since. Although not sure if there’s a perfect correlation.

Reactions: clone2003

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Only reason he isn't in demand is because he's out and out said he's a Belmont lifer. Won't even entertain looking at other jobs. He's a mid-major guy happy where he's at.

The Rick Byrd, Bob McKillop, Ben Jacobson wing of coaches.
That's probably a bad example then but my point is it's all about the NCAA tourney when you are at schools like that. Especially when you have 2 NBA point guards to dominate lower conferences. You can beat up Tennessee Tech and Austin Peay all you want but it's ultimately getting to the Big Dance.

What was Beards record at Little Rock before he got the Tech gig? I guarantee you he wasn't going 27-3, he got notoriety because he beat Purdue.

Last edited:
  • Disagree

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019

Hoiberg was a unique situation. TJ is not.
TJ = Prohm.
We need a change, not more of the same.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
That's probably a bad example then but my point is it's all about the NCAA tourney when you are at schools like that. Especially when you have 2 NBA point guards to dominate lower conferences.

What was Beards record at Little Rock before he got the Tech gig? I guarantee you he wasn't going 27-3, he got notoriety because he beat Purdue.

You're precisely correct. Never hire the guy that came after the guy that built the program.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Edit: Here is why I think it will be TJ. Because JP is thinking in 4-5 years it might be time for him to move on or retire. So hire your friend and fellow Wisconsin native, and if things go south in that time you retire....TJ can move on to another mid major job...and ISU is left to pick up the pieces.
Don't think JP would follow that rationale. At least I hope not.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
That's probably a bad example then but my point is it's all about the NCAA tourney when you are at schools like that. Especially when you have 2 NBA point guards to dominate lower conferences.

I think you missed my point

I would consider 54-10 successful at any level. I don’t think Phrom is a good coach and has inherited good players everywhere he has been to help with his success.

I think he is a great “coach” at a lower level because he can identify under the radar guard talent and at a lower level one or two players like that will give you “success” whether you can coach or not. I don’t think Phrom can coach but I do think that is where he is “successful”

• Dumb

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I don't know if Fred is coming back or not, but to say he wouldn't have success this time around is crazy. I think he would instantly keep Foster and Hunter because of his style of play. He made YMCA Georges Niang an NBA player because of his skills. Could you imagine Foster as a stretch big in Fred's offense. Foster is seven feet tall and more athletic. Fred could develop him into a pick and pop guy, and he can run to the rim, and protect the rim. Foster would thrive in Fred's offense. A seven footer who can shoot the 3! Foster would stay because he would instantly see what Fred could do for him and his NBA future.

Now, Fred just finds a couple shooters in the transfer market, which there are more of now and may be able to play right away with the new rules that are coming, that fit his system and they could be a 7-10 seed in year two. Fred could turn it around just as quick because of his reputation from his first stint at ISU.

Niang was a consensus top 100 recruit, state player of the year in his class, state tournament MVP, key member of a national powerhouse AAU team and way too much more to mention.

The idea that he was some "YMCA" player before Hoiberg groomed him is laughable at best and offensive to Niang at worst.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I think you missed my point

I would consider 54-10 successful at any level. I don’t think Phrom is a good coach and has inherited good players everywhere he has been to help with his success.

I think he is a great “coach” at a lower level because he can identify under the radar guard talent and at a lower level one or two players like that will give you “success” whether you can coach or not. I don’t think Phrom can coach but I do think that is where he is “successful”
Well, we both agree on that, I wish him well and to have success at his next gig, I just don't want him anywhere near ISU basketball anymore.
54-10 is obviously successful but nobody will remember that stuff outside of Kentucky unless you make some noise in March.

I'm watching Winthrop right now and they've only lost 1 game all year. If they lose and don't even make the NCAA then nobody will remember them. If Campbell gets in and upsets Baylor or Illinois then everyone will remember them 20 years from now even though they were nowhere near the best team in their conference.

• Agree
Reactions: mplueg

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

If Greg Lansing doesn't get his contract renewed at Indiana State, which is the current speculation, then I think he could be a great fit at ISU for a new, inexperienced head coach in the same kind of Phil Martelli role that you mentioned earlier. I know that his record at Indiana State has not set the world on fire, but it's also probably the hardest job in the MVC and is traditionally under-resourced compared to a lot of other mid-major programs. He's well known regionally as a very solid X's and O's kind of coach.

Reactions: NoCreativity

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If Greg Lansing doesn't get his contract renewed at Indiana State, which is the current speculation, then I think he could be a great fit at ISU for a new, inexperienced head coach in the same kind of Phil Martelli role that you mentioned earlier. I know that his record at Indiana State has not set the world on fire, but it's also probably the hardest job in the MVC and is traditionally under-resourced compared to a lot of other mid-major programs. He's well known regionally as a very solid X's and O's kind of coach.

Why exactly is Indiana State the hardest MVC job??

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
While this is all on JP, I'd imagine many coaches agents have reached out to gauge if it's worth talking to their clients.....now, that also could be a set up for their clients to renegotiate at current job, but I would bet JPs got a list in his head, others that have reached out, and lots of math to do, lol.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Why exactly is Indiana State the hardest MVC job??

I think, compared to other MVC schools, the resources, financial and otherwise, are pretty lacking. According to sources he only makes around 250 K/year. And I've never been to Terre Haute myself, but apparently it's not a great city to be able to recruit to, from what I've read and heard.