Coaching Search: Place your bets

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
if its not easy or realistic to turn around cyclone hoops in 2 years, why is TJ getting crushed for not doing it at UNLV?

I feel like some of it is coping from passing on TJ in 2015 while watching Prohm go down in flames.

I'm not sold on him, but I will say I always felt like he's a weird fit at UNLV.

Reactions: Cyclone Rebel

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Someone brought up earlier that hiring TJ would be a 1 for 1 replacement for Prohm, and I’d have to agree. TJ would bring in talent like Prohm has, but coaching would be about the same.

That said, I’ll trust Pollard’s judgement. Even if that means Prohm stays on for next year. JP is the one who has quarterbacked this entire rise to prominence that the athletic department is enjoying, not anyone else on this board.
This is where I'm at as well. We currently have the 10th best coach in the conference, TJ maybe gets us to 9th. I dont see how that works in the Big 12 right now.

Hoiberg, Smith, Devries would put us at least 6th or 7th which is making some progress.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
if its not easy or realistic to turn around cyclone hoops in 2 years, why is TJ getting crushed for not doing it at UNLV?
UNLV went 11-7 in the conference the year before TJ came; a "turnaround" wasn't needed. The previous coach was fired because 11-7 wasn't good enough.
UNLV went 8-10 this year; and has lost 3 of their last 4 games.
Maybe TJ has turned UNLV around - except it's been downward...

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Craig Smith, Darian Devries, Kyle Keller. Any of these 3 unless Hoiberg wants to return and and wants to stay? If he could bring in some immediate great players? I'd be OK with that. (Unsure Medved would be good fit here after leaving Drake for CSU after only 1 year).
Altman, too old or still fire in the belly? He's got things going at UO. Would he consider coming to Ames?
Thad Motta. Great history yes but last 3 years at OSU not so good, was downhill and he got fired basically. Health issues maybe still with his back? He would really have to show a burning drive to return to the coaching grind and want to come here before I would believe him to be any better than up and coming younger coaches such as Smith, Keller, Devries, at this point in his un-career.
On other hand I was quite surprised when Johnny Orr came to Ames. That worked out pretty well.
I'm hoping TJ is less of a consideration. He hasn't shown to be good enough, or better than any of the above, especially at UNLV.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I'm not sold on him, but I will say I always felt like he's a weird fit at UNLV.

This is an underrated take. Everyone thought it was ridiculous that Creighton picked McDermott for their head coaching vacancy as he was floundering at ISU, but look at the kind of success he’s had since then (aside from his subtly racist gaffes). TJ has struggled at UNLV, but maybe it really is a matter of being the wrong fit for that program.

Reactions: Cyclone Rebel

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I didn’t say I think TJ is the right hire but people getting on Pollard need to look at the guys resume and what he has done for ISU collectively

He’s worked for 3 coaches at Iowa state. Two failed.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
This is an underrated take. Everyone thought it was ridiculous that Creighton picked McDermott for their head coaching vacancy as he was floundering at ISU, but look at the kind of success he’s had since then (aside from his subtly racist gaffes). TJ has struggled at UNLV, but maybe it really is a matter of being the wrong fit for that program.

interesting thought

same can be said for Phrom, super successful at a lower level where recruiting talent was enough to win and they didn’t need “coaching”

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Prohm’s buyout is around $5 million, not $7 mil. Why would he resign? That doesn’t make sense. Even if this is positioned as “mutual”, it’s not. He’ll get what he’s owed contractually.

As he should! The program is an embarrassment but it isn't because Prohm is intentionally damaging it! He was willingly offered the contract and he signed it...it is his money because in the AD's mind...Prohm had earned it!

Reactions: cyatheart

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
interesting thought

same can be said for Phrom, super successful at a lower level where recruiting talent was enough to win and they didn’t need “coaching”
Prohm was not super successful at Murray State though.. Nice win % but in a conference with only a couple other good teams. Made the NCAA tournament once. The next coach has actually done better.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
he was 54-10 at Murray State, I would consider that super successful and you would too if that was isu
Records like that don't mean anything unless you get to the NCAA's. Belmont just went 27-3 I think and won't make the tourney. I don't see their coach in hot demand.

Reactions: cyatheart

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
They weren't incredibly sad to see him go

not sure how that has any relevance but ok..

we’re not sad to see him go either

I think he’s a bad coach, but to say he wasn’t successful at a lower level with a 54-10 record is ridiculous

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Is Beilein not even a remote consideration? He'll have a college job soon and will turn them into a consistent Top 25 program. I dont know why that can't be at Iowa State.
He'll be Notre Dame's next coach. Mike Brey should be pursued by Jamie, but he's from out East so it wouldn't surprise me if he took another Big East or A10 job.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
The more I learn about TJ the more concerned I am about his coaching ability. We know he'll bring in top talent but I'm concerned about his x's and o's.

That being said if it is TJ, have him bring in a coach like Phil Martelli at Michigan. Howard handles all the recruiting and team management, Martelli teaches. That combination would be a home run hire.
You consider a homerun hire someone like Prohm that doesn’t know how to coach X’s & O’s and needs to bring in someone else To help? Hard pass on that brother.