Coaches: Rasheed for sure, Heacock unsure

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Ultimately it is about Campbell hiring people he thinks can get the job done. I have no issue with him hiring guys that have worked for or with him. He knows his success or failure will depend on them.

I would be more worried if he did not have guys wanting to follow him to ISU.
I am more worried about what I saw in the Toledo - Western Michigan game a couple of weeks ago. Woof.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
So we basically just took the entire Toledo coaching staff minus Candle? Not sure what to think about that....

My view is that I don't know sh--, er, have a clue about the quality of the Toledo coaching staff. We either trust CMC, or we don't trust him. I trusted CPR for years until I no longer could trust him (happened this season). I'll trust CMC until the moment comes that I can't trust him further. I trust that time won't arrive, until it does.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What a bunch of "CONTROL FREAKS".
First it was fire everybody, any thing is better then what we have.
Now you got your wish but oh no they didn't consult with you first on what assistants to hire.
That's why we hire a "HEAD COACH" and not a committee, the HC does what he wants and hires who he wants .
It is better that they all come in on the same page then to iron out all the wrinkles of many different coaches with totally different agendas.
Grow up and shut up.
No one hired you to direct the program.
You all stated a new coach and we would have a winning season in 2016, now your not sure?
Haven't even had a first practice yet and some of you are preparing for a 0-12 season. Get a grip!
Ha ha this is rich. And you were calling out others as control freaks...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And the ISU-Toledo game. I'd even include their win against Arkansas as a game that struck me as Toledo not being very well coached- it was a very Rhoads-like upset.

One concern I DO have from the Western Michigan game is the dirty play by one of Toledo's players: got tossed for targeting vs. a defenseless player behind the play. Can't speak for anything else, but that was a lack of discipline.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This is not the same a Chizik, but I have always hated how the OC under GC is always thrown under the bus. The offensive number under GC were actually pretty decent compared to some of the season that followed.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Anything new on Heacock? Wonder what CMC's backup plan is if Heacock sits tight

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Ultimately it is about Campbell hiring people he thinks can get the job done. I have no issue with him hiring guys that have worked for or with him. He knows his success or failure will depend on them.

I would be more worried if he did not have guys wanting to follow him to ISU.

They are getting their pay doubled for an opportunity that may have otherwise taken years. Their other option is to stay behind, start again in the MAC making 80-90,000. It's an obvious decision from the guys following CMC here.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Jerry Kill didn't promote his o-line coach to be his OC ...... big difference. And b1g offenses are way different then the high scoring big 12 offenses are.

And that matters because? Campbell believes Manning has an incredibly bright offensive mind and is confident he is ready. He might be the next Gus Malzhan for all we know...everyone that is success was given their first opportunity by someone. There is no evidence that he will be good and an equal amount of no evidence that he won't be. My choice is to trust the guy in charge and see how it plays out.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX

ha ha ha you might want to sit down before you hurt yourself ..... tough guy what some of are saying is that it would have been better received if we had some assistants that were more proven at bigger programs . They are way different people and will have different looking football teams .
But here is Tom Manning's resume

Coaching Experience
2012-14 Toledo - Offensive Line
2011 Mount Union - Offensive Line
2010 Toledo - Director of Football Operations
2009 Toledo - Graduate Assistant
2007-08 Emory & Henry (VA) College - Offensive Line/Run-Game Coordinator
2006 Massillon (OH) Jackson High School - Offensive Line

And if Heacock becomes our DC the biggest school he was DC at was Indiana for two years and went to a smaller school from there. So yeah that has me concerned .

Then be concerned while most of us enjoy watching the recruiting process. I'm sorry that Indiana wasn't a big enough school to have DC experience in your opinion. As far as the promotion to OC its the HCs decision to make not ours. If he believes the man is ready then let's see what he's got.

Worry all you want...won't change a thing

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Maybe Heacock wants to become a HC again soon? And his current title at Toledo would be DC/AHC. Not to mention that Toledo was willing to pay CMC nearly $800,000 to stay and I'm pretty sure Candle isn't getting near that so maybe Toledo has offered Heacock about as much as he would make at Isu to stay at Toeldo?

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Then be concerned while most of us enjoy watching the recruiting process. I'm sorry that Indiana wasn't a big enough school to have DC experience in your opinion. As far as the promotion to OC its the HCs decision to make not ours. If he believes the man is ready then let's see what he's got.

Worry all you want...won't change a thing

No it doesn't look good to me that he was at Indiana for a couple years then left/fired and took a lesser job. Isn't everybody else tired of guys that either proved they can't make it or guys that have a lack of experience. I'm excited for what coach campbell has shown us so far. But I would like to see better results and if we keep repeating ourselves how do we actually ever get our football team to the level where we would like to finally have it at. I just don't want to be four years down the road and we are disappointed again that we had high hopes for a good head coach and yet we are still not improving on where we are at today.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
No it doesn't look good to me that he was at Indiana for a couple years then left/fired and took a lesser job. Isn't everybody else tired of guys that either proved they can't make it or guys that have a lack of experience. I'm excited for what coach campbell has shown us so far. But I would like to see better results and if we keep repeating ourselves how do we actually ever get our football team to the level where we would like to finally have it at. I just don't want to be four years down the road and we are disappointed again that we had high hopes for a good head coach and yet we are still not improving on where we are at today.

A lot of coaches get fired at some point or another for different reasons. A lot of those people are also good coaches.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Shenanigans? You mean shenanigans?

25527_supertroopers_coolchrism5.jpg

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
We've had the big name coordinators and those haven't worked either.

I love over this approach. Familiarity and continuity breeds success.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Why the **** would Campbell hire someone else? Iowa State is running Matt Campbell's offense, it kind of makes sense to hire someone who knows/runs it as well instead of someone else and forcing them to learn a new offense. That's what happens anytime you hire a former OC as a HC. Know a thing or two about football before you talk about it.

Rocketac

Nov 29, 2015
Ft. Worth
And the ISU-Toledo game. I'd even include their win against Arkansas as a game that struck me as Toledo not being very well coached- it was a very Rhoads-like upset.

I'll have to completely disagree with you on this one. Arkansas has top tier SEC talent AND was coming off a complete game while Toledo only had a half game warmup against an FCS school.

If you were to only look at the box score, then yes...we were completely outcoached. But considering the talent and game conditions, I'd have no trouble saying MC COMPLETELY outcoached Bert & Co.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.

200.gif

Help Support Us

Become a patron