Clones Interest in Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk Ukranian 16 Year Old

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
First order of business, give this kid a nickname.

steve-over-the-hedge.jpg

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
So has anyone confirmed which class he would be in? The way I read it is he could potentially be enrolling this fall if he decides to forego the Euro-pro route?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Fraschilla calls him one of the best 16 year olds in the world, I don't care what people think about the Lucca experience. Want. Badly.

That was just one piece in the whole Mcdermott experience. No need to project disappointment with Lucca to every European transfer.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Breaking News: The kid WAS Ukrainian, but lived in the Crimea. That was invaded by Russia and annexed. Putin went on CNN tonight and announced he has to serve a two year stint in the Russian military before he will be allowed to travel abroad to play basketball.:pwink:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Wait - why are we so hyped about his kid? Anyone check his stats?

He's a starter, but not exactly blowing it up on his home team. And scored a rousing 2 points on 1-4 shooting in 13 minutes in that Hoop Summit Fran is talking about.

I love and trust Fran implicitly. But I think a bit more context is needed.

Get him in the CCL to check him out.

cysox2

Nov 30, 2011
Newhall
Some guys just look comfortable on the court. They don't look like they're moving very fast, yet the are gliding past everyone else on the floor. They make playing basketball look effortless and natural. From the short clip on youtube he seemed like that type of player. I'm no expert of judging basketball talent but he looks like a good one to me.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
If he can play I'm all for Fred trying to exploit the next under exploited source of college talent. That being said, it would be interesting to see how fan's reacted to it after the whole Lucca experience.
That's a dumb statement

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I can find no information on this kid other than his Wikipedia Link. Fraschilla wrote an ESPN Insider article today about the upcoming international influence on the college game. Of note was Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, a 16 year old Ukranian who is apparently regarded as one of the top European prospects.

He's listed as an off ball guard at 6'-6" and 185lbs, born in 1997.

It's wikipedia so take it easy on me, but the comparisons are to Ginobili's game. He was selected first team all tournament at the FIBA U16 tournament in 2013.

What Fraschilla has to say on the kid:

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk | Undecided | 6-foot-6 | Ukraine

Mykhailiuk is considered one of the best 16-year-old players in the world and, after the recent Nike Hoop Summit, has drawn the interest of a number of high-major basketball programs including Iowa State, Virginia, Kansas and Oregon. He exploded on the European scene last summer, averaging 25 points, eight rebounds and four assists at the FIBA Europe Under-16 tournament.

The young Ukrainian can play both guard spots, although he is best suited right now to play off the ball at the college level. He is an excellent shooter with NBA range and a strong, physical player for his age. As the son of educators, Mykhailiuk will be a high school graduate and enroll in college at the age of 17 -- if he’s not pressured to sign a pro contract. There’s a great chance we will see him in college next season.

Is Fran saying all of this or he's just quoted in the article? If he's that good, would be awesome to convince him to check out Iowa State. If he's pro material, doesn't the NBA draft these guys and stash them away, develop them, and they don't have to go to college one year? If he was a possibility, would we assume he's a one and done type?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron