Clones Interest in Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk Ukranian 16 Year Old

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Wait - why are we so hyped about his kid? Anyone check his stats?

He's a starter, but not exactly blowing it up on his home team. And scored a rousing 2 points on 1-4 shooting in 13 minutes in that Hoop Summit Fran is talking about.

I love and trust Fran implicitly. But I think a bit more context is needed.

2013 FIBA U16 Tournament - 1st Team All Tournament.
At this tournament he averaged 25 pts, 8 boards and 4 assists.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
With the 20 years of age rule coming into play with the NBA, he'd be stuck in college for 3 years.

I'd guess if his parents are truly academics, they may push college, but that kind of money in the European leagues over those 3 years would be hard to turn down.

The 20 year thing won't happen until after 2017 when the new collective bargaining agreement is up.... or at least that's what someone else posted in a thread.

notengonacho1

Jun 5, 2006
Dallas, TX
With the 20 years of age rule coming into play with the NBA, he'd be stuck in college for 3 years.

I'd guess if his parents are truly academics, they may push college, but that kind of money in the European leagues over those 3 years would be hard to turn down.

I'm guessing the salaries of European players is far less than NBA. Might be more profitable in the long run to play college ball in the US and showcase his talents and then possibly go to the NBA for a much larger payday.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm guessing the salaries of European players is far less than NBA. Might be more profitable in the long run to play college ball in the US and showcase his talents and then possibly go to the NBA for a much larger payday.

The NBA scouts the Euro Leagues heavily, if you can play, they will find you, no matter where you are at.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
I suppose.

But apparently didn't do squat against US competition.

Where did you find that analysis at?

Remember he is only 16 and no matter how high your ceiling is at 16 a 25 year old who's been through college and played pro ball is going have some intangibles on you (speaking of the type of player he is playing against professionally).

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Someone should start a thread with a recruit list.....could even call it Recruiting list 2.0

where we keep all potential recruits and info on one thread.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Where did you find that analysis at?

Remember he is only 16 and no matter how high your ceiling is at 16 a 25 year old who's been through college and played pro ball is going have some intangibles on you (speaking of the type of player he is playing against professionally).

http://www.usab.com/misc/14_hsum_stats.pdf

I was also looking at this "home" team stats

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/pl...iuk/Ukraine/SK_Cherkasy_Monkeys/243482#Player Stats

Otherwise - salient points. Although I was under the impression this Hoop Summit was "like" competition. And I freely admit, Fred and Fran know infinitely more about this than I do. Just looking for something else to substantiate the hype.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
ISU has had both good and bad experience with international players

Julius Michalik
CJ Bruton
Lucca Staiger (of course)
Tony Rampton
Jiri Hubalek
Damion Staple
Martin Rancik

That is just a few not including our current Canadians or permanent resident limey.

You could go even further back and include names like Raul Duarte.

I just don't see how the Lucca situation should influence fan attitudes to another player just because he happens to be another recruit from across the pond. We already had 3 non-Americans on last years' roster.

First off, I know the Canadian guys are technically foreigners but come on. They are a totally different situation to trying to pull a kid out of Europe. And it's nothing personal against the players, but it's just a whole different pile of things to worry about with those guys. Not saying it's not worth it.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Someone should start a thread with a recruit list.....could even call it Recruiting list 2.0

where we keep all potential recruits and info on one thread.

Read this post about four or five times now. It's easy to miss something over a 24 hour period in a mega thread. Does it bother you so much to have to post about it in the new thread?

Kid looks solid. Would be interested to see how this one plays out.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
According to the Nike Hoops site, his current team is the SK Cherkas Monkeys, which according to Wiki is a professional team.

Could this be another Lucca playing issue?
You can play on pro teams and not have it affect your eligibility now as long as you don't get paid, I believe. Pretty sure Sabonis going to Gonzaga did this.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
LOL @ people being cautious about this kid because of Ivan Chiraev and Lucca. I guess by your logic, all international players are bad and we should never go after them because two other coaching staffs struck out with others. Don't be ridiculous. If the guy is good, he's good. Lucca Staiger and Ivan Chiraev have nothing to do with this kid.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So we not only have to worry about Putin screwing up our Ukranian mail order brides but also our potential recruits? :unsure:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
According to the Nike Hoops site, his current team is the SK Cherkas Monkeys, which according to Wiki is a professional team.

Could this be another Lucca playing issue?

A basketball team named "Monkeys"…not something you're going to see in the USA anytime soon.